Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #1481
moss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBlåst View Post
Thanks for the clarification!
1) This is pretty hard to explain but hope you get it.
So after I have written down automation and switch back to "Trim" mode, my top display panel shows only the automated volume levels and not current. I can adjust the volume with Trim mode and fader but the display won't show it, it shows only what has been automated and the fader behaves as it's in "Read" mode... Would it be more logical to show the current Volume and relatively adjust the automation value, and with the "Read" mode only show the automation?
So basically my guess is that the fader and panel volumes behave as "Read" mode in "Trim" mode?
Yes, the automation envelopes are displayed. I hadded the other way round before but that was more confusing and had some issues (which I do not rememer what it was exactly).

Quote:
2) I still can't assign custom actions to the "F" buttons. It seems to empty the action ID box after I close and reopen the Configuration menu
Sorry, no idea here. Tested it and works fine for me. Could you maybe do a video what you are exactly doing?

Quote:
3) Fader reset by pushing the rotary knob resets the volume to -5.6db and not 0.0db, is that on purpose?
I guess there was a reason but will change it to 0.0db.

Quote:
4) The top VU meter seems to be down about 6db compared to DAW monitoring
This LED strip is far away from any precise measurement. Only take it as an indicator for what is going on.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #1482
twoleftfeet

Default x touch one vs x touch universal

hello Moss and everyone
i am new to reaper, have been working a couple weeks at getting my mac mini / x air 18 / x touch universal / reaper....studio up and running. i am at that point where i want to begin toying with controller software add ons. seems like this one by Moss and the CSI project are contenders.
gotta question: in the documentation notes under mcu, it lists the x touch one but not the x touch universal. are people using the drivenbymoss package with the x touch universal with any luck?
thanks
twoleftfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #1483
NotDot

Default Novation LaunchKey Mini MK3

Hello, Jurgen!

First of all, thank you for your amazing work!

I'm trying to get my Novation LaunchKey Mini MK3 work with your plugin and Reaper 6.15 for Linux and I've encountered some problems.

Here is the list:
1. Pitch "wheel" is always set to -100%. It's going back to 0% only if you touch it at the very bottom of the pitch panel on keyboard.
2. Modulation "wheel" isn't working at all.
Note: I've also checked this in Bitwig with your plugin - both of the problems are Reaper-specific.
3. I can't bind anything in any plugin neither by the plugin interface or Reaper interface. When I try to use Reaper's "learn" option, none of the pads, knobs, wheels or keys are being captured. I'd tried it in every mode of the keyboard, includes Device and Custom.
4. I don't know if it should work, but changing the colour of the track isn't changing the colour of the pad on keyboard.

I would be glad to give you any information needed and will do everything to help you if you'll try to fix these problems.

Thank you in advance.
NotDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:10 AM   #1484
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleftfeet View Post
hello Moss and everyone
i am new to reaper, have been working a couple weeks at getting my mac mini / x air 18 / x touch universal / reaper....studio up and running. i am at that point where i want to begin toying with controller software add ons. seems like this one by Moss and the CSI project are contenders.
gotta question: in the documentation notes under mcu, it lists the x touch one but not the x touch universal. are people using the drivenbymoss package with the x touch universal with any luck?
thanks
There are actually 4 alternatives for MCU:
- Reapers default implementation
- Klinke
- CSI
- DrivenByMoss
I wrote some pro/cons in another thread but could not find it, but I am biased anyway :-)

The documented devices are only the ones I own but it should work with any device speaking the MCU protocol. DrivenByMoss has many configuration options for MCU, so should be no problem to make it work.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #1485
NotDot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDot View Post
Hello, Jurgen!

First of all, thank you for your amazing work!

I'm trying to get my Novation LaunchKey Mini MK3 work with your plugin and Reaper 6.15 for Linux and I've encountered some problems.

Here is the list:
1. Pitch "wheel" is always set to -100%. It's going back to 0% only if you touch it at the very bottom of the pitch panel on keyboard.
Note: I've also checked this in Bitwig with your plugin - both of the problems are Reaper-specific.
3. I can't bind anything in any plugin neither by the plugin interface or Reaper interface. When I try to use Reaper's "learn" option, none of the pads, knobs, wheels or keys are being captured. I'd tried it in every mode of the keyboard, includes Device and Custom.
4. I don't know if it should work, but changing the colour of the track isn't changing the colour of the pad on keyboard.

I would be glad to give you any information needed and will do everything to help you if you'll try to fix these problems.

Thank you in advance.
Alright, answer to point #3 is here (for the future lurkers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXQribt7KQ
Point #4 is not important at all. Edit: suddenly it started to work as intended.

But what about pitch and modulation "wheels" (panes?)? I have no idea how to fix it, I had tried everything that comes into my mind, but still no luck.

Dear Moss, help me, please!

Last edited by NotDot; 11-18-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #1486
twoleftfeet

There are actually 4 alternatives for MCU:
- Reapers default implementation
- Klinke
- CSI
- DrivenByMoss
I wrote some pro/cons in another thread but could not find it, but I am biased anyway :-)

The documented devices are only the ones I own but it should work with any device speaking the MCU protocol. DrivenByMoss has many configuration options for MCU, so should be no problem to make it work.

thanks Moss. it seems klinke is windows only, there's also a fella named Ossarium ? who has his version of CSI for x touch users.
I'll procrastinate some more here and make a move
thanks for your reply and all your work
twoleftfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #1487
moss

Quote:
Can't see an issue with Pitchbend. Could it be the plugin you used?!

Quote:
Ah, thanks. Seems my MIDI matcher had a bug. Will be fixed in the next update!

Quote:
You found the answer yourself :-)

Quote:
Not sure which pad you mean. The modes always show the same color to distinguish them from the clips. The clips use their clip color. If you did not set an individual color for the clip they use the track color.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #1488
moss

DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper 10.9.2 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • Requires Reaper 6.12+
  • All devices
    • Fixed: Changed that resetting volume sets it to 0.0dB (was -5.6dB).
    • Fixed: Setting absolute faders controlled by CC was broken.
  • MCU
    • Fixed: Scrolling in browser did always jump between first and last item.

Small list, but wanted to get these critical issues fixed.

Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #1489
NotDot

The modulation problem is fixed with the new update, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Can't see an issue with Pitchbend. Could it be the plugin you used?!
I've tried it in a couple of VST2 plugins:
Linux VST2 via Carla (Surge)
Windows VST2 via LinVst (Kilohearts Phase Plant)
It's always the same. By default it's on 0%, but after the 1st touch it's going down to -100%. And then the middle of the pitch panel is working as a -100%.

I've also tried Phase Plant in Bitwig Studio and the pitch was working as intended, so it's definitely not the hardware or plugin problem.

Sorry for my poor English, it may be hard to understand me, so I've made a video for you to show the problem:
https://youtu.be/W8RhashGoNg

Last edited by NotDot; 11-18-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #1490
Eufonic

Default XTouch Error in Reaper

Hi, I've been plaing around with this driver, and it rocks, just tried it with a Komplete Kotrol m32 and it worked perfectly, however after connecting a XTouch to it, it has the following error:

The Controler sends commands, and Reaper interprets them, but Reaper does not communicate with the XTouch, please advise!

Here is a video of the behaviour:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...hog#IMG%5F1441
Eufonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #1491
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eufonic View Post
Hi, I've been plaing around with this driver, and it rocks, just tried it with a Komplete Kotrol m32 and it worked perfectly, however after connecting a XTouch to it, it has the following error:

The Controler sends commands, and Reaper interprets them, but Reaper does not communicate with the XTouch, please advise!

Here is a video of the behaviour:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...hog#IMG%5F1441
- Check if the MIDI output device is disabled in Reaper
- Check if you have selected the correct output in the MCU configuration.
- Check if you have enabled the first display in the MCU configuration.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #1492
Sibs

hello Moss, I'm having CTD problem when using in conjunction with Melda plugins and new reaper betas.
Sibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #1493
moss

Quote:
The modulation problem is fixed with the new update, thank you very much!

I've tried it in a couple of VST2 plugins:
Linux VST2 via Carla (Surge)
Windows VST2 via LinVst (Kilohearts Phase Plant)
It's always the same. By default it's on 0%, but after the 1st touch it's going down to -100%. And then the middle of the pitch panel is working as a -100%.

I've also tried Phase Plant in Bitwig Studio and the pitch was working as intended, so it's definitely not the hardware or plugin problem.
I can replicate it on Ubuntu Studio. Turns out it is a bug in the Java MIDI implementation on Linux, which someone reported already in 2015 but noone seems to care about us musicians:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8075073

Not sure what to do about it.

[EDIT]OK, since this is really serious I implemented a workaround for it. Will be in the next update.

Last edited by moss; 11-19-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #1494
NotDot

Quote:
[EDIT]OK, since this is really serious I implemented a workaround for it. Will be in the next update.
Wow, thank you so much! It's the last problem I had with my keyboard, now I can finally fully use it! When do you plan to release an update?
Old 11-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #1495
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibs View Post
hello Moss, I'm having CTD problem when using in conjunction with Melda plugins and new reaper betas.
Is this a new issue with Melda? Or is this what I documented in the Known Issues section of the manual: "If you use Melda plugins, turn off GPU acceleration in the Melda plugin settings. Otherwise Reaper will crash."
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 PM   #1496
Eufonic

Quote:
- Check if the MIDI output device is disabled in Reaper
It is disabled, for input and for output

Quote:
- Check if you have selected the correct output in the MCU configuration.
I have it on MC/USB from the device
And in the "Configuration" menu: "Midi Output 1" is "CoreMIDI4j - X-Touch INT"

Quote:
- Check if you have enabled the first display in the MCU configuration.
If this means that in the "Hardware Setup" from the "Configuration" menu "Has a display" should be on, then yes

Hardware is working, I tried it out with Logic, Ableton and Studio One and with classic Mackie Control from Reaper,I hope it's something I'm doing on my end.

Later Edit:
I tried fresh install of Reaper on a different machine (MAcBook pro 13 inch Late 2015) and the driver works (YAY)
But then I tried a fresh install of Reaper on my machine (Macbook Pro 15 inch (Mid 2015)) and it acts the same, I'm wondering if by any chance it might be the java sdk or something. How could I check?

Last edited by Eufonic; 11-20-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #1497
moss

Quote:
I tried fresh install of Reaper on a different machine (MAcBook pro 13 inch Late 2015) and the driver works (YAY)
But then I tried a fresh install of Reaper on my machine (Macbook Pro 15 inch (Mid 2015)) and it acts the same, I'm wondering if by any chance it might be the java sdk or something. How could I check?
Since you got it working on a different machine, you know how to do it and user error should not be the problem. So sadly, I have no idea what could be wrong on your 2nd machine.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #1498
Eufonic

Quote:
Since you got it working on a different machine, you know how to do it and user error should not be the problem. So sadly, I have no idea what could be wrong on your 2nd machine.
I don't know either, could it be anything with java or audio midi settings or something. Is there any debugging I can do? I dabble with programming so if there is anything I can check I could.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #1499
buschag

Default MAC OS

Curious if theres anything I can do to my computer, other than upgrading, to get DBM or even CSI to work. Running 10.10.15 and I saw the sys requirements, so now I am wondering if I am out of luck.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #1500
Eufonic

Default X Touch with Mojave and Reaper

Well, after beating my head senseless on the keyboard, a thought ran through my brain: "try an early version of Reaper"
And that was the ticket, driver works great, it just does not want to work with the latest version of Reaper, Version 6.11.60 8af23cc worked for me. Don't know what exactly happened in the latest version but, specifically, the X-Touch doesn't want to work.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #1501
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
Curious if theres anything I can do to my computer, other than upgrading, to get DBM or even CSI to work. Running 10.10.15 and I saw the sys requirements, so now I am wondering if I am out of luck.
No, sorry.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #1502
moss

Quote:
Well, after beating my head senseless on the keyboard, a thought ran through my brain: "try an early version of Reaper"
And that was the ticket, driver works great, it just does not want to work with the latest version of Reaper, Version 6.11.60 8af23cc worked for me. Don't know what exactly happened in the latest version but, specifically, the X-Touch doesn't want to work.
So, 6.15 is not working for you? Or only 6.16Beta/RC?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #1503
petergreeny

Moss, still loving your controller software. It has made using my SSL Nucleus an absolute pleasure in Reaper, so thank you for the regular stable updates and new features. One question:

Any chance we could adjust the speed of the jog wheel and fast forward/rewind buttons on MCU? Right now it's limited to a fairly slow speed. If this is possible, I would recommend linking the jog speed and FF/RW speeds to the degree of magnification in the Edit window. this way when we're zoomed in the jog and buttons offer finer control, zoom out we can scurry through the project quickly. Several DAWs including Logic and Cubase do this with MCU controllers...
petergreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #1504
Eufonic

Quote:
So, 6.15 is not working for you? Or only 6.16Beta/RC?
I don't usually install a Beta, so yea 6.15 does not want to work
Old 11-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #1505
frank_lymm

Hi Jürgen !
First of all, thank you very much for your work here !

I have just one problem...
On Reaper startup it won´t activate the controller.
On every startup i have to go to the
preferences ->control/OSC/web -> drivenby...->Edit->Configure->Configuration

Then close everything and the controller will be activated.

Reaper 6.15
Windows 10
Native Kontrol S88mkii

Thank you very much for your help !!
frank_lymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #1506
RCMatthias

Quote:
Alright, answer to point #3 is here (for the future lurkers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXQribt7KQ
Point #4 is not important at all. Edit: suddenly it started to work as intended.

But what about pitch and modulation "wheels" (panes?)? I have no idea how to fix it, I had tried everything that comes into my mind, but still no luck.

Dear Moss, help me, please!
Thank you so much, I can finally use the rotary knobs on my LK MK3 for eqing, this is a complete gamechanger!!!
RCMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #1507
petergreeny

Another issue I'm having which seems to be new to the latest DrivenbyMoss release: DrivenbyMoss appears to be renaming the first track in every project upon opening the project "Track". Can change the name, save it, close and re-open, and it will change the first track back to "Track" for some reason.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #1508
NotDot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMatthias View Post
Thank you so much, I can finally use the rotary knobs on my LK MK3 for eqing, this is a complete gamechanger!!!
Glad I could help! I was very excited too!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:48 AM   #1509
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
Another issue I'm having which seems to be new to the latest DrivenbyMoss release: DrivenbyMoss appears to be renaming the first track in every project upon opening the project "Track". Can change the name, save it, close and re-open, and it will change the first track back to "Track" for some reason.
I have an idea what could be the problem, will check.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:50 AM   #1510
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_lymm View Post
Hi Jürgen !
First of all, thank you very much for your work here !

I have just one problem...
On Reaper startup it won´t activate the controller.
On every startup i have to go to the
preferences ->control/OSC/web -> drivenby...->Edit->Configure->Configuration

Then close everything and the controller will be activated.

Reaper 6.15
Windows 10
Native Kontrol S88mkii

Thank you very much for your help !!
Never heard of such an issue. Do you need to select one of the MIDI ports in the configuration or really just open/close it (which restarts the extension)?
You use the Kontrol MkII, right?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #1511
frank_lymm

Quote:
Never heard of such an issue. Do you need to select one of the MIDI ports in the configuration or really just open/close it (which restarts the extension)?
You use the Kontrol MkII, right?
HI !
I just need to open the configuration page and close it again.
Yes, using the MKII...

Thanks !
Old 11-28-2020, 04:16 AM   #1512
spkr4thdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleftfeet View Post
are people using the drivenbymoss package with the x touch universal with any luck?
thanks
Hi!

Yes, I use DBM4R for my X-Touch Universal, and it works really well.

I spent weeks setting up CSI (and it still wasn’t exactly how I wanted it) and then it all stopped development wise while the author had a medical procedure and then recuperated; it cam back recently as a fully fledged V1.0, but I think it needs some rework on my end to get it working again.

Moss’ extension on the other hand has been great out the box, and really logical in the way it spills FX etc...

Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #1513
Pieter

Hi Jurgen,

since the last update the pan knobs on my Icon Qcon pro stopped working. When I pan in Reaper it's still working, including the leds around the knobs.
I switched back to 10.8.0 and that's working perfect for me, I just want you to know.
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:59 AM   #1514
moss

Quote:
HI !
I just need to open the configuration page and close it again.
Yes, using the MKII...

Thanks !
Sorry, absolutely no idea. I guess it is some kind of communication issue with the NI hardware service. So, there are no errors in the log window?
Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 AM   #1515
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Hi Jurgen,

since the last update the pan knobs on my Icon Qcon pro stopped working. When I pan in Reaper it's still working, including the leds around the knobs.
I switched back to 10.8.0 and that's working perfect for me, I just want you to know.
Could it be that the new sensitivity settings are very low? It is only with Panorama? Can't reproduce that.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #1516
Beginner

Quote:
I have an idea what could be the problem, will check.
Hello moss,

first of all thank you for the work. I made it work today with my 3 Mackie Extenders.
But I still have a few questions:

1. the problem that the 1st track is always named in "Track" I have too. Is there a solution in the meantime?
2. the volume level metering works only on the MCU and not on the extender. Only the volume parameters are displayed there.
3. the scrub mode does not work.

Thanks for the answer

Many greetings
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #1517
frank_lymm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
Hello moss,

first of all thank you for the work. I made it work today with my 3 Mackie Extenders.

1. the problem that the 1st track is always named in "Track" I have too. Is there a solution in the meantime?
2. the volume level metering works only on the MCU and not on the extender. Only the volume parameters are displayed there.

Thanks for the answer

Many greetings
Wait ! i opened a thread in another catagory about the "first track named Track" Problem.
Nobody, literally nobody answered by now.
So it has something to do with the "DrivenByMoss" extension ?

Thanks !
Old 11-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #1518
petergreeny

One other issue I have is the following:

- I use an MCU+Extender (SSL Nucleus) setup with a Softube Console 1 on OSX. I can get the Softube to follow track selection on the MCU by always leaving the FX chain window open (track selecting on Console 1 works perfectly in terms of selecting in Reaper and on the MCU whether the FX Chain window is open or not, but to go in the other direction the above is required).

- The problem is, whenever I touch a fader or a pan pot, it sends a track selection command to Softube Console 1, when only actually selecting the track should be doing that. So in this scenario, if I'm working on Track 16 on Console 1 and happen to adjust Track 1's fader on the MCU, it shifts Console 1 to focus on Track 1 when it should still be anchored on Track 16 which is currently selected on the MCU.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #1519
moss

Quote:
Hello moss,

Will be fixed in the next update.

Quote:
Check the settings for the type of extender. You need to set it to Mackie if you have an original Mackie MCU extender.

Quote:
The jog wheel is only scrolling the play position. If you enable scrubbing in Reaper it should work, e.g. you could assign a function key to toggle scrubbing (but haven't tested myself).
Old 11-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #1520
moss

Quote:
Wait ! i opened a thread in another catagory about the "first track named Track" Problem.
Nobody, literally nobody answered by now.
So it has something to do with the "DrivenByMoss" extension ?

Thanks !
Yes, guilty :-) Will be fixed soon.