Old 11-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
fujauroste
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI or USB foot controller?

I'd like to have a simple foot switch for operating basic controls for recording, so I can keep my hands on my guitar while I press record, for example.

What would be a good setup for this? I hear about MIDI footswitches, and my audio interface does have MIDI in/out. But it seems like it would make more sense to just have something plug straight into the USB on my computer.

Does anyone have any setup / product recommendations? I don't need anything fancy, or anything with sliders or anything. Just something I can stomp on.
fujauroste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Dark Fader

Behringer FCB1010? I haven't used one myself, but it looks interesting.
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
dave_t

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Audiofront makes interfaces that take the output of a generic expression pedal and convert it to MIDI controller messages. They have models with different numbers of inputs, so you can potentially use more than one pedal or external controller simultaneously.

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I bought one and I'm happy with it. I've been using it with an expression pedal to add volume swells or wah, and with a cheap sustain pedal to make a switch to turn one effect on and off, etc.

$0.02

Dave_t
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
Dave 2099

Good news, fujuaroste. It's kind of a buyer's market for midi foot controllers.

Just do a search for "midi foot controller" or something similar on Reverb and you will find a hundred different options. I have a FCB1010 and really like it. Once you get your feet wet, you might want to look into getting one because they are powerful and quite inexpensive.

The Line 6 FBV Express MKII is a simpler version of the FCB1010 concept - It has 4 switches as opposed to 10, and also includes an expression pedal.

Both the 1010 and the Line 6 Express have the option to program the switches/pedals with specific midi data.

I have the Audiofront interface v1, and it works pretty well. Like Dave T said (which is funny because I am also Dave T), you can use different types of non-midi pedals/switches, it's really flexible.

One other thing to check out - there are cables that can connect midi devices to a usb port (look up "midi usb adapter"). They get mixed reviews but I've always had good luck, and they're not that expensive.

So dive in, find something simple to learn on, then figure out what kind of workflow you might want. Once you see what midi controllers can do, I'd bet you'll want to do more than just hit record. : )
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
karbomusic

https://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-M.../dp/B002YL81RW
Old 11-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Tone Deft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fader View Post
Behringer FCB1010? I haven't used one myself, but it looks interesting.
it ONLY sends program changes.

could never get it working with Ableton except with some max4Live help. the ONLY place I've ever found it useful in 20 years is that when I connect it to my Line 6 Pod HD500X it switches program banks on it flawlessly, without having to tweak the FCB at all.

it's a program change box but it never gained traction, stinker of an idea for a product. I can't even sell mine so I keep it around.

McMillan SoftStep USB controller is on my wish list, has been for years.

other than that I have random foot pedals from years of having a music hobby. I stick them into foot switch ports on my APC40, SPD-SX and use them to control recordings.
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
Jae.Thomas

MIDI commander
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #8
fujauroste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deft View Post
it's a program change box but it never gained traction, stinker of an idea for a product. I can't even sell mine so I keep it around.
Um.. how much would you like to sell it for?

Thanks for your input!
fujauroste is offline   Reply With Quote