Old 11-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
OldNick
Human being with feelings

Default Assign Transport Buttons to Actions?

The Transport Pause button has no Action Assigned AFAICS. How do I assign one, please?

I am having trouble with a couple of VST synths that do not stop sounding if I Pause mid-note duration. In the end I solved this with a Cycle Action that sends both "Play/Pause" and "Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plugins". Assign to the Spacebar.

That works fine with the Spacebar, which I use probably 80% of the time. But if I am working in "mouse mode" than I will use the pause button on the Transport Bar....no notes off.

But if I hit the Transport Stop button, the notes do not hang. When I hover over the Stop Button, it pops up MediaKbdStop. I figured this was an Action and sure enough I found it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
poulhoi

I would suggest assigning it to a toolbar and docking that toolbar near your transport. That would be far easier
poulhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
The Transport Pause button has no Action Assigned AFAICS. How do I assign one, please?
Transport pause button, like any button, has some action assigned to it. In this case that action is Transport: Pause and the shortcut for it is MediaKbdPause. You can assign some other keyboard shortcut for that action if you want to, or remove it. But that won't defeat what the pause button itself does when you press it.

Same the other way around, you can make a pause related custom action and assign a shortcut for it. But you cannot assign that same shortcut for the pause button. IOW, default buttons have actions hardwired to them. They don't have to have a keyboard shortcut for them to work, but you can assign even a different shortcut for them if you want to. Custom actions on the other hand have to have a menu entry, a separate toolbar button or keyboard shortcut assigned for them, otherwise you won't be able to call those actions.

TL/DR: Real difference here is that default buttons, menus and shortcuts work as is, for the custom actions you'll have to decide and create a way you want to call them up, unless you're fine with using just the actions list. But you cannot overwrite what the default buttons do.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:02 AM   #4
gvdv

Quote:

I am having trouble with a couple of VST synths that do not stop sounding if I Pause mid-note duration. ....
I was having this problem, and read somewhere here that the F3 key is the 'kill' key for this problem, and it worked a treat for me (might have been F2, but just try the F keys).
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulhoi View Post
I would suggest assigning it to a toolbar and docking that toolbar near your transport. That would be far easier
Done. New to me and I had to learn, but that's all good for later and it was not that bad.

I might just create my own transport toolbar and hide the original (???)

Thank you.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
OldNick

Thanks for the reply

OK. So poulhoi is right? A new toolbar is the way to go?

I have built one and it works, and in some ways it's better to not have the original/default act "new". And trying to test the standard toolbar by modifying it was a bit scary.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
I was having this problem, and read somewhere here that the F3 key is the 'kill' key for this problem, and it worked a treat for me (might have been F2, but just try the F keys).
Thanks for the reply and it is F3.

My problem with that is that I have to hit 2 keys. Creating a Cycle Action and assigning it to the Spacebar is a one-key action for me.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 AM   #8
gvdv

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and it is F3.

My problem with that is that I have to hit 2 keys. Creating a Cycle Action and assigning it to the Spacebar is a one-key action for me.
You are most welcome, and thank you for your thanks.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote