Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #281
gv.lazcano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It would be nice to be able to use, for instance, a single channel compressor plugin on a mono source, rather than stereo linking a two channel compressor.

Again, not a big deal, but it would be nice.

What I would like to see is an automatic mono/stereo detection setting for rendering/freezing tracks. I almost always freeze every track at some point in a project, and it would be nice to not have to manually select all the stereo tracks, freeze, invert selection to the mono tracks and freeze again.
Maybe I'm not getting this, but it's my first time seeing this. I have always used mono plugins in mono tracks in Reaper.
gv.lazcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #282
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv.lazcano View Post
Maybe I'm not getting this, but it's my first time seeing this. I have always used mono plugins in mono tracks in Reaper.
When I've used mono plugins, they have processed the left channel and passed dry audio through the right channel.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #283
mschnell

Can easily be tuned using pin routing in the FX chain.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #284
Vagalume

- Articulation maps
- Improve notation ... can be better ...
- Full customizable GUI ...
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #285
lowellben

Clean up all that

Vsti: Xxxxxxxxx

So we can just type and jump to the actual plugin NAMES for the love of God please. Please!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 AM   #286
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
The FX Chain window design never bothered me too much but what does bother me is how (at least on Mac) that the FX Window gets it's own menu system and screws up your normal shortcuts. I really wish it could just be part of the normal menu system.
Have you tried Options -> Ignore FX chain keyboard shortcuts (send to main window)?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #287
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Clean up all that

So we can just type and jump to the actual plugin NAMES for the love of God please. Please!
I am not quite sure I understand the problem here? Even with the VST prefix, you can still just type the plugin name and it will be filtered.

(The VST/VST3 prefixes is useful to distinguish between VST2 and VST3 versions of the same plugin.)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #288
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Have you tried Options -> Ignore FX chain keyboard shortcuts (send to main window)?
Yes, I have that an enabled I believe I actually inspired that addition late last year.

It's a partial solution but by doing this, you lose some FX chain shortcuts that might be nice like moving an FX up or down.

I just don't get why it needs to have it's own menu system at all. I've never seen that in any other DAW.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #289
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I am not quite sure I understand the problem here? Even with the VST prefix, you can still just type the plugin name and it will be filtered.

(The VST/VST3 prefixes is useful to distinguish between VST2 and VST3 versions of the same plugin.)
The problem is:
https://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=654

It's annoying to look at. The fact that a filter exists is not enough in my opinion.
This is how it should look, there is literally NO reason why we need all those prefixes. They are distracting and should at least be an OPTION TO PREFIX. I mean come on it's 2017 Reaper is all about choices right? Windows XP is dead and gone, RIP GUI.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #290
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Ah - Okay - I'll give that a go and see if it works in my case.

Did it work?
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #291
The Byre

Quote:
The problem is:

It's annoying to look at. The fact that a filter exists is not enough in my opinion.
If I type-in the word 'gate', all the gates come up, regardless of prefix. If I type-in the word 'flan', all the flangers come up. If I type-in the word 'pit', all the pitching tools come up.

Nope, sorry - I don't see the problem!
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #292
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
If I type-in the word 'gate', all the gates come up, regardless of prefix. If I type-in the word 'flan', all the flangers come up. If I type-in the word 'pit', all the pitching tools come up.

Nope, sorry - I don't see the problem!
lol the problem isn't the filter but that was cheeky and cute and literally does not assist at all. Superfluous info. It's an eye sore. Did you even load my link?

Nope sorry! Trollllllllllllllolololololeeely jk

ED had a great idea, I agree. But thanks for sharing your "nope!"
Old 11-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #293
Delucci

I would like an option to separate routing and sends in the Mixer. Sometimes is confusing to know what are the actual routing or send Or maybe a different color do the route..
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #294
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucci View Post
I would like an option to separate routing and sends in the Mixer. Sometimes is confusing to know what are the actual routing or send Or maybe a different color do the route..
I was thinking about colors for that the other day too. Matrix and mixer colors would be rad
Old 11-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #295
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucci View Post
??? Routing IS sends. What exactly are you taking about?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #296
Delucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
??? Routing IS sends. What exactly are you taking about?
I meant.. separating sends and BUS routing, example: Kick in -> Kick SUM.

I know I can create a "send" and mute the master in Kick in, but should be easier to visualize if you already are sending the Kick in to an parallel compressor. Here's a screenshot example.

and in any other daw:

I mean, I REALLY love Reaper, but this thing bothers me A LOT..
And no, I dont like that much to work with Folders, dunno why..

Also: I would like so bad dropdown menus in custom toolbars.. man..

Last edited by Delucci; 11-16-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #297
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Did it work?
Well, yes. But I don't see how that is simpler than having a track with scopes that will take a send from the master (and when that is the case, will not route its output to the master.)

The logic for such a track would be

If (any receives come from the master) then disable "parent"

Otherwise the track would behave like any other track.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #298
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Something equivalent to Playlists in PT/Track Alternatives in Logic is one of the main things i'm missing in Reaper.

Edit groups for tracks being another.
+1 on this
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #299
citizenkeith

Quote:
But I don't see how that is simpler than having a track with scopes that will take a send from the master (and when that is the case, will not route its output to the master.)
Ah, yes that makes sense. It would be nice for there to be an option for that!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #300
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Something equivalent to Playlists in PT/Track
What about SWS section play list ?
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 AM   #301
trinita

One thing a little annoying: when you click on a plug-in on your mixer panel, Reaper opens both vst and his floating window, which most of the case you don't need and you have to close every time;
this relate to my other post:

"the useless waste of space on the fx window (on the left, next to the plugins).
No other Daw shows this defect, and it would be a good upgrade to create a more elegant and less bulky window"

I neeed a better fx window...
trinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #302
Outboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinita View Post
One thing a little annoying: when you click on a plug-in on your mixer panel, Reaper opens both vst and his floating window, which most of the case you don't need and you have to close every time;
this relate to my other post:

"the useless waste of space on the fx window (on the left, next to the plugins).
No other Daw shows this defect, and it would be a good upgrade to create a more elegant and less bulky window"

I need a better fx window...
This only happens if you open bridged plugins (32bit on 64bit).
I rarely use bridged plugins.
I don't know if there is an option to disable Reaper floating window for bridged plugins.
It's good to have that feature.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #303
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinita View Post
In the Add FX window, select all plugins, right-click, and check Run as -> Embed bridged UI.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #304
Sound asleep

I think LUFS and Trupeak count in the render window that shows progress/if there is clipping/rendered waveform would be cool. I would personally really love it if piano roll could be set to vertical, but I won't hold my breath on that one. On a sort of maybe aside, I noticed some dialog windows would popup down in the corner recently. I don't know if they all always do that for every plugin, if reaper changed, or what, but if that was someone at reaper's idea designed to prevent top level windows from making it impossible to access those popups, then that was a genius idea. If not, then we should do that.

Always on top plugins by default would be great, maybe an allowance for popups or previously mentioned workaround is great too, if possible.

Option to limit number of backups reaper makes.

If there is a re-theme, I personally think Logic now looks exactly how I would want a DAW to look, so I think something like that would be cool. But I don't need a re-theme. Themeable plugs might be cool, but not such a big deal for me either.

Option to be able to customize some of the menus that can't be customized.

an action to copy the value of a selected point, and then another to paste that into the value property of a selected point.

Also an easier way to see the point value. I know I can have tooltips but tooltips on envelopes makes me turn more tooltips on, and I find those get in the way, and I really don't ever need them, but I so need envelope values sometimes. That said, I probably wouldnt, if I could copy and paste a points value so easily.

I'm not sure what else. Reaper is pretty solid now for my needs. So good job development team, because this is quite a piece of software you've built over the years.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #305
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
My $0.02. They should do whatever the heck they want for any reason they want and the outcome will always be the same in any and all cases, some will love it and some won't.
That's without a doubt. But that's not to say that what requests people mention won't have any effect on what they decide to do. I find it's very much the opposite.

So discussing what we'd like to see in v6, still makes all kinds of sense.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #306
Sound asleep

Quote:
The problem is:

This is how it should look, there is literally NO reason why we need all those prefixes. They are distracting and should at least be an OPTION TO PREFIX. I mean come on it's 2017 Reaper is all about choices right? Windows XP is dead and gone, RIP GUI.

That's not a bad idea, or maybe even just turn them into a suffix. Being able to re-order FX however you want would be cool also, a "most frequently used at top" feature would be cool too.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #307
Glennbo

Just thought of one I'd like to see.

The ability to have a folder track with a multi-out VSTi plugin, and all the child audio tracks inside it. Maybe there is already some sneaky way to do it, but I haven't figured it out.

For my midi drum setup with Superior Drummer I have audio outs for kick, snare, toms, hi-hat, overheads, and room. Currently I have it setup like this in a folder structure.

Drums folder | Superior VSTi | Kick | Snare | Toms | HiHat | Overhead | Room

If I try to make the track with Superior be the folder for all the audio, I only get audio from that track, and none of the child tracks, which I'm guessing is because a feedback loop might happen since the plugin on that track is generating the audio to what would become it's child tracks.

Here's how I have it setup currently, which requires one additional track to act as the folder for the track with Superior, plus all the audio tracks coming from Superior.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-22-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #308
Thor

Bit more esoteric suggestion here, but since Reaper is the leading platform for the spatially minded composer/producer:

Support for the ADM file system is seeping into some other platforms such as Pyramix. (Export only so far.)

Basically it allows embeded metadata in wave files that could for instance be automation. Then one could use it in a manner similar to dolby atmos to encode spatial trajectories to audio objects.

For spatial audio it looks set to be quite important:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications...model-software
http://www.merging.com/news/news-sto...audio-workflow
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #309
Steffe1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Proper video tracks and a dedicated Video layout panel/theme a la Vegas.

There's enough audio and midi options already.
_
YES!!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #310
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy
Proper video tracks and a dedicated Video layout panel/theme a la Vegas.

That would be nice but on Windows Reaper keeps redrawing flickering like crazy everytime you screen set switch. That rules out have screensets unless you cope with it. Premiere Pro doesn't flicker when changing workspaces. All Adobe apps work smoothly. Reaper does not. Changing screensets in Reaper flashes the whole PC desktop behind it every time. So annoying. Since the introduction of sets I believe.

Even though I agree with your video pane idea, I think we'll have a floating dock window asset like we have now for quite a while. Once Reaper changes between screensets without seizure inducing flickering, we can enjoy video panes and other layouts easier I think
I avoid changing unless I really have to.

Oh and it's not my GPU or monitor. I've used several systems. They all flicker. It's reaper.

So, dedicated video pane gets my vote!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #311
Archimedes

Default Metronome

Since Christmas is approaching and I'll be spending it in the studio fixing stems,

On the metronome,

I would like a "double time" option. If I enable double time, then I would like a third beat sound enabled to handle the eighth notes.

Looking forward to it!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #312
Archimedes

Default Suspend Snap

(it's probably obvious that I'm hard at work and these are occurring to me as I work)

Snap

I would like an action to "suspend snap" such that pressing down on an assigned key temporarily suspends snapping (when snapping is enabled), and releasing the key restores snapping. This way I'm not constantly back and forth toggling snap on and off when I'm snipping up and trying to align a stem from a player who really doesn't know how to play to a click.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #313
citizenkeith

Quote:

I would like a "double time" option. If I enable double time, then I would like a third beat sound enabled to handle the eighth notes.
I'd love that too. You should make a Feature Request.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #314
Edgemeal

Quote:
(it's probably obvious that I'm hard at work and these are occurring to me as I work)

Snap

I would like an action to "suspend snap" such that pressing down on an assigned key temporarily suspends snapping (when snapping is enabled), and releasing the key restores snapping. This way I'm not constantly back and forth toggling snap on and off when I'm snipping up and trying to align a stem from a player who really doesn't know how to play to a click.
Can't Reaper already do that?
When moving an item with mouse I hold down the Shift key (on Windows) to bypass snap.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #315
ivansc

Always tickles me when people make feature requests for stuff we already have.

I am always very hesitant to suggest anything because even after all these years I am damn sure there are still acres of stuff in the user guide I have overlooked!

Maybe what we should ask is for an AI plugin that will sense when we are writing here (to demand something that can already be done) and stop us from continuing, citing the exact page(s) in the guide where the info can be found! And while its at it maybe it could be made to automatically fix my crap typing as well?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #316
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Can't Reaper already do that?
When moving an item with mouse I hold down the Shift key (on Windows) to bypass snap.
I did not know that! Will give it a try. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #317
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Always tickles me when people make feature requests for stuff we already have.

I am always very hesitant to suggest anything because even after all these years I am damn sure there are still acres of stuff in the user guide I have overlooked!

Maybe what we should ask is for an AI plugin that will sense when we are writing here (to demand something that can already be done) and stop us from continuing, citing the exact page(s) in the guide where the info can be found! And while its at it maybe it could be made to automatically fix my crap typing as well?
I was busy comping today and was looking in "Actions". I found lots of functions for toggling, but none for suspending. Doing that amount of research was all I could tolerate as an interruption to my workflow, and concentration today. Never consulted the user guide, cause I was on a roll and didn't want to divert my attention. So, my bad, I guess.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #318
Archimedes

How about a solution to players who can't play to a click?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #319
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
- Split item at EACH MIDI NOTE (in arrange view)

- REApatch : A plug-in that allow to route hardware audio/MIDI bus through any track channel easily or vice versa
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199804

REApatch is very easy, just create a send to a child track of your target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJX7hBIvUnI

Last edited by TonE; 11-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #320
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuhkam View Post
Kinda impossible I guess but
LINUX port (The only nagging reason I havent converted to Linux yet- no Reaper..)
Vector GUI
Integrated Playtime
Reaper works in wine, plus there is a linux version.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote