Old 07-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
hanswurst123
Human being with feelings

Default Hyperthreading? Singlecore? Multicore?

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a new computer and after searching the forum I'm more confused than enlightened
I found a few older threads but I have the feeling that their information could be outdated.

So my main questions are:
1. Should hyperthreading be turned on or off? (or should you even buy a HT processor or not?)
2. What's better: a few very powerful singlecores or instead as most (mediocre) multicores as possible?

Glad about any help!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Stella645

1. On. Yes.
2. Gross oversimplification but for very low latency performance or loads of mixbuss processing - highest possible single core speed. More instances of plugs spread evenly across tracks - more cores.

Get some idea of the cpus you're looking at and see if Scan's DAWbench has tested them to compare.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #3
hanswurst123

Thanks for your reply!

In terms of hyperthreading I found this podcast which is half a year old where Justin Frankel says that HT can be a problem. But I don't really get all the technical details.. he says that when you have all CPUs running + HT turned on you only get 75% of the CPU power. But I ask myself when will you not have all CPUs working? When I work in Reaper I always have tons of tracks and tons of plugins and I have 6 cores (12 threads) which are always running simultaneously. Or maybe it IS because I have HT turned on? should I try turning it off? I don't no..

I think clearing this question could be so helpful for many users especially when thinking about buying new CPUs. Beginning at 38m 38s:

https://dawbench.libsyn.com/episode-...present-future

The parts before that time stamp are about paralel / serial processing and I think you were right.. so for being capable of doing all possible stuff in a DAW I think it's the best to have the highest possible amount of CPUs whilst having the highest possible amount of power each
Old 08-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Stella645

Dawbench have posted that they generally see better performance with HT on but also mentions if cpu is pushed to the limit it can't help (but no mention of loss of power)

I guess it's one you have to try for yourself on your system with a few projects and see what you think.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM   #5
Softsynth

To complicate matters not all cores are equal. The CPU architecture and cache memory play their part in performance.

If you are using virtual instruments for the most part the single core performance is still pivotal, especially with software synthesis. You aren't likely to be only using a single core anyway.

I wouldn't want say 18 weaker AMD 2.5ghz cores for U-He Diva when four 4.25ghz intel cores may still perform better for that. The extra scores mostly metaphorically twiddling their thumbs when CPU intensive processing brings a weedy core to its knees.
OTOH the very high core count CPU might cope better with more simultaneous instances of Kontakt with CPU friendly virtual instruments loaded. Presuming the load is evenly shared amongst the cores.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote