Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
edkilp
Human being with feelings

Default Free Windows 10 Upgrade?

Hi all. I recently got a notification in my taskbar to reserve my free upgrade to Windows 10. I went ahead and did that. Today I got a confirmation email saying my upgrade would be available from July 29th, the download would happen automatically, then I'll be notified when it's ready to install.

Has this been happening to other users? I currently have Winows7 x64. If I can actually upgrade to 10 for free, is it recommended? Right now, all my stuff works in Win7. Are there any here with Windows10 experience with any horror stories? I'd hate to do this only to find out that my UX2 isn't supported, MDrummer isn't compatible, yada, yada, yada. Thanks.

**EDIT** I guess I'm asking if any beta testers have discovered any problems. I have been on Win7 for so long. I saw Win8 once and it looked like a big smart phone, full of icons. If it's really free, and it appears to be so, then I'd like to be up to date. But not at the expense of having to wait and wait for plugin developers to catch up. Thanks again.

Last edited by edkilp; 06-03-2015 at 05:09 PM.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
xpander

I believe this is the latest Windows 10 topic, there are some beta testing results too:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=161738

Overall, Win10 seems pretty promising. I'm currently using Win8.1 and will most likely go to 10 soon enough but not necessarily right away when it's released.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
edkilp

Definitely seems worth a try.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Refillable

Depends on the hardware support. I use Edirol UM-550 midi interface (very nice and reliable piece of equipment), and the latest driver is for win7, so I'm not upgrading.
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
novaburst

Yes I got my notification too I also reserved a copy but still not sure of any real benefits, from windows 7 I am not sure if beta test is OK because by the time the full version is out it would have changed quite a bit. I have herd about how great the beta is with working with audio and daw but the one question remains will the full version be as great for our music this is a very important post please don't remove, we know there have been window 10 post in the past, thing is July is only a few weeks away and I believe we need to get our heads around this, do we or do we not change to windows 10 is windows 10 going to be a great step for our music and art work or is it going go be a great fail. Please bare with us on this latest window 10 post.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
DigiDis

Today I reserved the upgrade but will probably not install it until September or October after I see how everyone is getting along with it. I am now using 8.1 and it is rock solid, lean and fast. Here's hoping 10 is even better.

One question: Will the upgrade give us the ability to do a clean install over the existing OS? I would prefer to do a clean install and start fresh. If not, I suppose I could load an image I made when I just got windows configured and install over that.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
chip mcdonald

Again - I asked this question about "upgrading" to 8 and didn't get an answer:

why do I want to go to Windows 10?

Why do I want to pay MS every year just to use my computer?

Why do I want to be at the mercy of updates when MS feels like I should update?

X64 Win7 is working great for me, why do I want to mess with it?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post

You might want Win10 in order to get it free and THEN decide if you want to actually install it or not.
If it comes as an iso download you can do that easily, IF it comes as an automatic update you can get round that in one of two ways.
Either allow updates to download, but not install in your windows settings, in which case you will have the update without being forced to adopt it immediately, or make a disk image backup of your whole system before the update to 10 arrives. If you dont like it, reinstall the earlier OS complete with all your settings and data intact.

You dont HAVE to upgrade.

You certainly don't HAVE to pay MS anything every year.
Not sure where you got that idea from.
Win10 is a free update from any version of win7 or 8, for the first year after launch. Any NEW ADOPTERS after that year will pay for Win10 same as any other OS update in the past. This is NOT an annual fee and there is no paying for interim bug fixes and minor updates.

Win7 X64 worked fine for me - I had helped with the beta on that, so when 8 rolled round I was happy to do beta for that - realised straight away that it was a little faster smoother and used memory more efficiently than Win7 on my particular hardware. I also didn't have any issue with the disappearing Start button and in any case the FREE update to 8.1 fixed that for most people.
The ONLY reason I can think of for "messing" with your existing install is that any changes to current software and hardware are going to be based on whatever the current state of play is.
If you never plan on buying another plugin, interface, etc., or indeed updating your DAW or other application software, there really isn't any need to change and indeed you can certainly upgrade later rather than sooner. I know a lot of guys who like to stay one step behind and I can see some sense in that.
I used to be one of them, but since win7 I have had a 99% problem free experience on Windows, which I have to say amazes me! Never thought I would see the day.

The ONLY hardware issue I have had was under win7 64bit with the backwards-compatibility of USB3. I solved that one by dumping the various USB interfaces I had used which had not been able to cope with modern hardware and did what I should have dome in the first plAce. Bought RME.

If I were in your shoes I would probably get win10 while it is free but not install it until it has had it tyres thoroughly kicked by the rest of us recordists.
Me? I like living dangerously.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post

Because it is the new model for Microsoft to keep their OS updated, it has a smaller footprint than any previous OS version and overall it's just a better product

You do not have to pay every year, what makes you think that?

You're not

Because mainstream support ended, any future development, features and additional functionality may not be available for WIN7. If it works fine for you you are not forced to update but you will be left behind and by updating now it will not cost you anything.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
collothen

Default I'm having problems with Reaper after windows 10 upgrade...

Now that I have upgraded to windows 10 every time I try to insert a vst Reaper completely freezes up. Any help with this matter?
collothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #11
ivansc

ANY VST? One in particular?
Are you in 64bit W10 and 64bit Reaper?

How quick and how rammy(TM) is your machine?
"Proper" audio interface or internal soundcard?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
paulheu

I'll just leave this here;
http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-micr...th-windows-10/

And especially this
Quote:
We expect personalized services. We expect relevant search results. We expect the devices we use daily to get smarter and more useful over time. We expect them to understand us despite our accents when we use speech-enabled features. We expect bugs in software and services to be fixed yesterday.

All of those goals require that customers willingly share information with the companies providing those services, with a corresponding commitment from the recipient of that data to guard it carefully and use it only for its intended purposes.
Very well written piece.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
sickamorz
Banned

I can't find a single reason to waste time on this software.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
I can't find a single reason to waste time on this software.
Are you talking about Windows 10 or Linux Mint? I am having fun learning Linux. Today I got my printer working and installed a firewall. I haven't gotten to Wine and Reaper yet. I think the biggest problem will be drivers for my Steinberg UR44. I needed the command line to get my Brother laser printer working, but Linux Mint is very usable without adding or tweaking anything unless you have unusual hardware. LibreOffice is sort of like going back to Office pre-ribbon interface, which is less mousing around, in my experience.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #15
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I am having fun learning Linux.
Because Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, the Ubuntu community and Wiki might be quite helpful, e.g. to learn more basics or something about Wine.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote