Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
OovooJaver
Human being with feelings

Default SWS Extension

Helloooo Internet

I was browsing around Youtube when I found a person telling about what great things this Extension can do, but it seems I can't download it. THe 64 Bit version says coulnd't open file and when I tried the 32 BIt version the Ok Button for chosing an install folder is greyed out.

Am I missing something?
OovooJaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Sounds odd. You did go here, didn't you?

http://www.sws-extension.org/

And you do have REAPER 5.965 or later?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:26 AM   #3
Stella645

Close Reaper before running the 64bit installer.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
OovooJaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Sounds odd. You did go here, didn't you?

http://www.sws-extension.org/

And you do have REAPER 5.965 or later?
Yes I went there. Sure. 5.98something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Close Reaper before running the 64bit installer.
I am not sure I did it yesterday, but now I did. Anyways. I get the problems as before.

Last edited by OovooJaver; 09-08-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: specs
Old 09-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
cfillion

Are you using REAPER 64-bit or 32-bit? The version of SWS you download must match.

Is the correct REAPER installation path selected in the SWS installer? (When you say "OK" is grayed out, is it because that path is empty?)

Can you share a screenshot of that "couldn't open file" error you are seeing? When exactly does that error message shows up?
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
OovooJaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Are you using REAPER 64-bit or 32-bit? The version of SWS you download must match.

Is the correct REAPER installation path selected in the SWS installer? (When you say "OK" is grayed out, is it because that path is empty?)

Can you share a screenshot of that "couldn't open file" error you are seeing? When exactly does that error message shows up?
Win 10 64 Bit, but it has a Program(x86) folder and also Reaper is capable of both at the same time I thought? So off course I tried both versions. But if you read my first post, I wrote it there.

-In the 64 Bit installer the right path is already preset. The download starts but then it gives me a message that the respective folder can't be opened. I could click on ignore and see where it takes me, but honestly...

-In the 32 Bit installer there is no path selected because the OK button that should give me the power to choose a folder manually is greyed out.

Screenshots of both versions' problems below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32Bit Version.JPG (56.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 64Bit Version.JPG (53.3 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by OovooJaver; 09-08-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more precise expression
Old 09-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
cfillion

REAPER is either 64-bit or 32-bit, not both at the same time. You have REAPER 64-bit so only SWS 64-bit will work. The "OK" button is grayed out when installing SWS 32-bit because REAPER 32-bit is not installed (this is fine, you need SWS 64-bit instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OovooJaver View Post
Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_sws64.dll

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.
This could be a permission issue (since you have closed REAPER beforehand this time). Writing to C:\Program Files requires administrator privileges. Try launching the SWS 64-bit installer as administrator.

If that doesn't work either, you could try the next version's beta installer which installs the DLL into the REAPER resource folder rather than Program Files. sws-2.10.0.1-Windows-x64-df1d59df.exe

Last edited by cfillion; 09-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
OovooJaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
REAPER is either 64-bit or 32-bit, not both at the same time. You have REAPER 64-bit so only SWS 64-bit will work. The "OK" button is grayed out when installing SWS 32-bit because REAPER 32-bit is not installed (this is fine, you need SWS 64-bit instead).

This could be a permission issue (since you have closed REAPER beforehand this time). Writing to C:\Program Files requires administrator privileges. Try launching the SWS 64-bit installer as administrator.

If that doesn't work either, you could try the next version's beta installer which installs the DLL into the REAPER resource folder rather than Program Files. sws-2.10.0.1-Windows-x64-df1d59df.exe
Edit: Okay thanks again, the admin status did it.
These ideas are not bad and I will do exactly that. In that order. But first let me set up a system restore backup. It is about time anyways. Thank you and expect an update later.

Also, I can definitely say that Reaper can use x86 Plugins that I have on my computer. That's probably why I concluded that this might work too. Off course you have one version of windows and you need that Bit version. It confuses me that there is a x86 program file on my computer. Also it seems you can run x86 programs on a 64 Bit OS. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Last edited by OovooJaver; 09-09-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: elaborating
Old 08-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #9
jamesd256

Default SWS / S&M Extension menu items going missing!

Hey,

I've posted an issue report, but just in case someone here knows, then I can resolve without troubling the devs:

https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues/1667

Curious one. Not urgent, but a bit of a speed bump

Thanks
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote