Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Neicom
Human being with feelings

Default auto scrolling improvements in 5.983.

Hello!

Devs, I have a question regarding auto scrolling improvements in version 5.983.
==================
-Playback: improve scrolling-by-action behavior when auto-scrolling view during playback is enabled
-Preferences: remove outdated scrolling option
==================

As far as i can see in Reaper manual, since version 5.983,

"Preferences: removed option “Don’t autoscroll view when viewing other parts of project.” This option is now automatically always enabled."

Is there way to disable it?
(Or bring this option back?)

It makes recording process less comfortable.
(I know about "go to play position" action).

I'm working in studio on long recording sessions, and moving markers or trim part of item on the fly without autoscroll disabling was very handful.

Thank you in advance!

And thanks for this amazing DAW!
Neicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicom View Post
As far as i can see in Reaper manual, since version 5.983,

"Preferences: removed option “Don’t autoscroll view when viewing other parts of project.” This option is now automatically always enabled."

Is there way to disable it?
(Or bring this option back?)
When that preference was disabled from under the playback settings in 5.892 or earlier versions, playback would scroll the view when in play. But only if you also had "Automatically scroll view during playback" engaged under Options.

Since 5.983, you can enable/disable this playback scroll simply by toggling the automatic scroll under Options. There's no need to go to the playback settings, where that same thing was basically redundant, afais. Or am I misunderstanding what you want to do?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #3
Neicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Since 5.983, you can enable/disable this playback scroll simply by toggling the automatic scroll under Options. There's no need to go to the playback settings, where that same thing was basically redundant, afais. Or am I misunderstanding what you want to do?
Xpander, thank you for reply!
But this is not what I really mean.
If “Don’t autoscroll view when viewing other parts of project” option is disabled, it allows you to move markers (edit items etc.) on the fly, without autoscroll cancellation.

Now, when this option is removed and it's enabled by default, I have to use "go to play position" action all the time, when I move marker during recording, as it cancel autoscroll view.

Devs, is it possible to bring this option back?
Neicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicom View Post
If “Don’t autoscroll view when viewing other parts of project” option is disabled, it allows you to move markers (edit items etc.) on the fly, without autoscroll cancellation.
Ah, now I understand what you meant, thanks Neicom. Never really faced that problem since I've always wanted to stop the view scroll if I was editing something on the fly. Then I would go back to play cursor with an action.

But if you want to just temporarily disable the scroll e.g. by using the mouse to move a marker like you said, and releasing the mouse would resume the scroll automatically...that is indeed not happening with the new preference changes.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote