Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Salislore
Human being with feelings

Default Fader Automation With Allen & Heath QU24 Mixer

Hi,

I'm brand new to the forums.

Can someone please let me know if it's possible to perform full recording fader automation with Reaper and an Allen & Heath QU-24 mixer that has motorized faders? I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
Salislore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
The_Nimaj

I don't know much about this unit but from reading it says you should be able to assign your faders to a track via USB (midi I assume). If you can indeed get them to control the digital REAPER faders, then you can write automation. I'd first look to see if it shows up as a control surface in REAPER's preferences (See if it's compatible with any of the control surface presets). If none of those work, check to see if you can use it as a MIDI device and then you could potentially use MIDI Learn to assign tracks to physical faders.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
airon

From the website info.

Quote:
An ASIO and WDM compatible driver is available for Windows computers. Standard MIDI control is tunnelled over the USB connection so you can easily map the faders to the tracks of your favourite DAW. A DAW Control driver is available for easy setup and emulation of HUI or Mackie Control protocols on Mac OS X systems.
So it looks like you need to install either the wdm/asio driver on Windows or the midi driver on osx.

Nice unit.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #4
KFC

I've been doing some research on this and haven't quite been able to figure it out yet, but here's what I have been able to setup:

Under the Options Preferences Audio Midi Devices:
* I've setup the QU-24 as both midi-in and midi-out. Tested arming tracks after I select the appropriate channel from the Midi list of the specific track. When armed, level meter is moving to instrument, however having trouble getting the midi out so I can monitor the sound through headphones on the QU. I can hear through the headphone interface on my laptop. I'm assuming there's.a conflict going on somewhere, just haven't been able to track it down yet.
* Control Surface - haven't been able to work this at all yet. I'm working on Windows 10, and when I setup as Mackie Universal, I keep getting errors that Reaper can't connect to the QU. It seems to be a conflict with the Audio setup. When I disable all the Audio midi settings, errors clear up. However, I setup the Custom Layer on the QU, and nothing seems to be happening natively. From what I can gather through various posts is I may have to "Learn" all the midi controls and map the faders and other functions manually. I'm also not seeing the option of being able to select the midi-channel the control path goes over. Default on the QU is midi channel 2. Not sure if Reaper assumes this as the default or not when you use the Mackie Universal control or if I'm missing something.

Bottom line is, neither Reaper or QU documentation really details what you need to do to connect, test/verify the connection, and map everything out. They show the general layout of the various midi options, but really no detail on how configure on a Windows system (seems Mac is pretty easy and pretty well documented although I don't have a Mac so I cannot say for sure if it works). Lots of YouTube and forum posts saying - oh yeah, it works - but zero information hon how they made it work.

I'll be working on documenting this in detail as I figure it out. The final setup should be able to use the QU as the audio interface and the DAW Controller. FYI - Windows DAW control support on QU introduced in v1.9 and A&H has little documentation on it - and the Windows Driver doesn't have the same look or feel as the SAW Controller for MAC.

Work in progress. Anyone who has this documented would be great. Hunt and peck methods are great learning, but also can be frustrating......
KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 AM   #5
nightscope

If you use the mixer in it's Mackie Control mode, you won't have to map anything.

Ensure the mixer's in & out midi ports are disabled in Preferences>Audio>Midi Devices.

Go to Preferences>Control Surfaces. Click ADD. Choose "Mackie Control Universal". Set the in & out ports to the A&H.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
If you use the mixer in it's Mackie Control mode, you won't have to map anything.

Ensure the mixer's in & out midi ports are disabled in Preferences>Audio>Midi Devices.

Go to Preferences>Control Surfaces. Click ADD. Choose "Mackie Control Universal". Set the in & out ports to the A&H.

ns
Night,

Not trying to be flip here, but this is a good example of what I mean on people saying it works.

I've done this, and believe I've setup my Customer Layer on the QU correctly, however, faders are not moving when I move the fader in Reaper and visa versa. Are you saying I don't have to setup the Customer Layer as "midi" on the Qu and everything will work natively, or do you mean if I follow the DAW Control instructions from A&H, the console work as DAW Control.

I'm trying to trouble shoot the issue here, so I want to make sure I'm walking through the steps correctly. More than likely user error, I just don't know where I went wrong.

Thanks for the reply.
KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
serr

Of all the combo mixer/interface/control surface type products I've seen people posting and talking about around here recently, this one seems like a lot of bang for the buck at $2000. Many motorized control surfaces alone cost more. Here you get that plus a free old school digital mixer along with it and 24 mic preamps that should be solidly above average.

Seems like a good deal for someone who needs all 3 on a budget.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
gravyface

Resurrecting a necro thread, but has anyone been able to get this to work reliably?
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote