Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Attempt at video game like-music: advice?

Work in progress...Fun at the beach

First: sorry for the cut at the beginning. I'd like to have your opinion on the mix. I think the kick and drum ambience could benefit from some more eq but I had no luck up to now.
I didn't do much to the bass since I'll re-record it. Anyway, any advice from you mix gurus appreciated.
I quickly put some Oxford inflator on it, so that you have a little bit of volume, but I'm not sure it didn't degrade the sound a little bit.
Ambience for the percussion were made with delays. Mélodic percussions have reverb.
Listening at it, I realize the sound at the beginning is a little harsh, I'll have a look at that.
So the question is: how would enhance it? I'll keep you posted with the modifications, if you're interested.

How, by the way, any bad experience with soundclick? I've been a member for two years but never really used it.

thaaaaaaaaaank you

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=965956
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
snowflake

dammm a good 80´s game feel good job
i use soundclik but yeah
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1140176
that is my sound clik
but i have kind of a other way of working
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
-R-

Yeah, vintage flavor all the way...Thanks for listening. Apparently you were the only one to like it, since nobody commented! That's fine with me..
I went to your soundclick and listened to your tracks until my pc crashed (really time to format)
Like the sound a lot. Which games have you composed music for?

Since your mixing skills are up to the task, do you hear something I could do to improve my track'sound?

Wish you all the best
Old 04-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Boray

I had created many "artists" on Soundclick, named after my albums. It was like that for years and one day I got an email from them that this wasn't allowed and they deleted them all.

They only allow 128kbps mp3s for free accounts and their player sometimes doesn't work. Bandcamp is totally superior in my opinion.

I will listen to your tune after the radio show we listen to right now.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Boray

A bit short isn't it?

If it's for a game, then I would skip the game sounds as they could interfere with gameplay, but I guess it's only meant to sound like a game and then it's just perfect.

I don't hear anything hash. I think the whole mix needs a little boosted highs with an EQ at the master track, or you could try to fiddle around with ReaXComp.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
-R-

Thanks Boray,
I will switch to Bandcamp for the next tunes.

The purpose of the song is to showcase the kind of things I can do. I know it needs rework (I'll redo the bass, and then probably notice the kick pattern doesn't always match)
I imagined the track being played at the beginning of the game ( when you select options, players,...). But what you said about interference between the arcade sounds and the game is something that never really stroke my mind. I will certainly think about it for other stuff.
About the highs: I will see what I can do. I watched the mix trough an fft and the shape was rather flat, as opposed to the generally desired slow roll off. ( I already hear people scream: mix with your ears, not your eyes!!! (How can I hear, anyway, my room doesn't have any accoutic treatment yet )) I'll definetly take your perception into account and will post the result when I got something better

And of course: Thanks for listening
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Boray

If you don't have good listening conditions, you can always compare it with other music in the same style. Listen and change between the reference music and your music and try to get them to sound about the same.

Btw, I've actually made some game music, but I didn't know it when I made it. I just let the game designer pick out the tunes he liked the best.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
-R-

Listening to your music on your page right now... Beautiful site, funny videos and nice approach to music.. Drop me a mail when you come to Belgium, we'll have a beer!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
snowflake

-r- i have not been used for a real game it is only a hobby but as every i hope one day to get a real gig
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
Work in progress...Fun at the beach

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=965956
Sounds interesting,

You can check out game music and sound effects on my little group at soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/groups/game-audio
Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Parsifal

Haha nice, makes me feel like I'm playing Mario Kart.
Parsifal is offline   Reply With Quote