Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default $80 guitar jam

I've made a recording with an ultracheapo guitar I posted to lounge earlier. It's a generic strat copy with an ugly headstock, which sells new for less than 60 euros on German ebay and less than 300 PLN in Poland, rock bottom of the low end in general.

And I wouldn't guess, it plays like butter. I know I advertise some shitty degrading sweatshop somewhere with it, but am seriously impressed how okay it is. Wonder how long the wooden bits will keep the shape. For now, everything's dead straight and tightly put together. Tuners look a bit sketchy (nowhere close to "real" sealed ones), but hold tune even after decent whammy barring. Sounds perfectly good to me as well.

I wonder if PLEK machines are illegally copied already.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Cosmic

Sounds fantastic! Great production
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
Not_Here

Awesome sir.
Love the Vid production too. I wanna get to that also.
Would you be kind enough to share a basic software list of what I might need to accomplish that? just curious. well a little more than curious, Envious!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Sounds fantastic! Great production
Comet Cosmic is crossing our orbit again! Thanks, I'm the most proud of the knob twirling at 1:20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Awesome sir.
Love the Vid production too. I wanna get to that also.
Would you be kind enough to share a basic software list of what I might need to accomplish that? just curious. well a little more than curious, Envious!
I'm making those with Magix Movie Studio 13. Filming recording of all the Reaper tracks with my ancient digital camera, then pasting recorded clips each on a separate track in Magix and placing each clip in its corner of the screen with "track motion" function, pasting my Reaper mix on the audio track and syncing everything together manually (most annoying bit).

You can do it with any multi-track video editor I guess, there's apparently some good free ones now like Hitfilm Express or Resolve.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
sammydix

The guitar is the 'showcase' but I can't hear lead as well as the other elements, particularly ~1:18 when the synth comes in. Other than that, very cool tune and tones.

Last edited by sammydix; 06-28-2018 at 03:58 AM.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Not_Here

yeah that keyboard part was just right...
kinda got a vibe like Eminence Front (The Who). Just sits in the mix and gives a great texture/harmony thing
Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 PM   #7
zeekat

Quote:
yeah that keyboard part was just right...
kinda got a vibe like Eminence Front (The Who). Just sits in the mix and gives a great texture/harmony thing
It's another time somebody's noticing similarities to a song I never heard from the band I never listen. But listening to it on youtube - yeah, I have a thing for various little synthy things running in the background of guitar music. Neat song.

I also managed to kinda unwittingly rip the Cure off once. Which made me feel better about myself, because I thought the riff and guitar tone I made kinda sucked, yet turns out someone successfully sold similar one like 30 years back. While having a good song around it, but hey, it's always a start.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #8
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
It's another time somebody's noticing similarities to a song I never heard from the band I never listen. But listening to it on youtube - yeah, I have a thing for various little synthy things running in the background of guitar music. Neat song.

I also managed to kinda unwittingly rip the Cure off once. Which made me feel better about myself, because I thought the riff and guitar tone I made kinda sucked, yet turns out someone successfully sold similar one like 30 years back. While having a good song around it, but hey, it's always a start.
Right?! Listening to the radio, minding ones own business, then "Hey! That's my riff!" I hate when that happens...
But really that guitar sounded really nice for a cheapy eBAY purchase..
I'd like to find a Bass with the same method... Might have to do some investigation. I would have never considered spending sub $100 as a plan... cool ..
Old 06-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
zeekat

The same store where I picked this one up has this bad boy for 369PLN, which is like $99

I'm out of guitar rack space though.

Fun thing that local sellers market those as made by a "German company". It's almost Framus, man.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #10
morgon

Nice work ZK, cool demo of decent pickups in a cheap but probably durable gtr.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Not_Here

ok ok... in the quest for low$$

I came across this.. and am seriously thinking I need to scare some neighbors with it...
Old 07-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
zeekat

Quote:
ok ok... in the quest for low$$

I came across this.. and am seriously thinking I need to scare some neighbors with it...
"Decoration Item
Not operational"

I suppose trying to fix it might cost some considerable money considering the non-standard construction. Functioning one is $388, which still is impressively cheap for a neck-through, fanned fret 8-stringer. Those were only custom made like 5 minutes ago. Yeah, Harley Benton is one of those crazy cheap brands, quite popular here I think.

Uploaded the slightly extended version of jam above to my sc

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/vision-revision-extended

it has doubled rhythm guitar and like a minute of slightly psyched out outro. I still think the guitar plays great, my reverence to expensive equipment is at all time low now (it was the highest before I tried to record anything and was constantly sliding down since then).

Last edited by zeekat; 07-03-2018 at 11:16 PM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #13
Not_Here

yeah, truth be told it was the $388 one I found first from seeing it in a demo vid. But when I saw the cheaper priced listing I really didn't read any details..

good price but, I am quite happy with my Ibanez 7 (SIX7FDFM). I wont be doing any 8 or 9 stuff. Leave that to the kids with the mush filled heads.

Awwwww. went to the sc link and it said track not found... maybe it's set to private?
re-post! i wanna hear what you did to your song! chop chop, tic toc!

\m/ oç0 \m/
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
zeekat

Quote:
good price but, I am quite happy with my Ibanez 7 (SIX7FDFM). I wont be doing any 8 or 9 stuff. Leave that to the kids with the mush filled heads.
Heh, a guy with a modern 7 string Ibanez shredstick slagging people with even lower tuned instruments. We should page forum's resident grumps who think all that modern sound is "wasps in a jamjar" (copyright Ivansc).

Quote:
Awwwww. went to the sc link and it said track not found... maybe it's set to private?
re-post! i wanna hear what you did to your song! chop chop, tic toc!
I ninja edited link because it had original working polish-sweary title, current one is working.