Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
whilemyguitargentlyWeaps
Human being with feelings

Default Can’t hear guitar in Reaper using a Behringer U-phoria UM2

Hey all,

I’m new to Reaper and hoping someone can help with this. I searched around before asking this question and none of the other postings were able to resolve this issue. I have a guitar connected on line 2 of a Behringer U-phoria UM2 audio interface that I can't hear in Reaper.

Things I've already checked:
Under preferences > device I have it setup as ‘ASIO’ then to use the ‘Behringer USB audio’ driver in the second drop down.

When I add the new track I have the tracking recording armed and monitoring speaker on

Input in Reaper is setup for Mono Instrument 2

In Windows when I right click on speaker and go to ‘Recording Devices’ I have the Behringer as the default line in. Then under ‘properties’ > Listen tab > I checked ‘Listen to this device’

Volume level is set to 100, Volume is all the way up on the Behringer.

I’ve tried multiple guitar cables and I can hear Youtube videos in the headphones through the Behringer device. I have no idea what I’m missing but I did have it working a few weeks ago, I just can’t remember which check box or setting I missed.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levels.JPG (23.0 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg monitor-on-recording-armed.JPG (13.2 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg line-in-properties.JPG (34.2 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg windows-recordingdevices.JPG (38.7 KB, 1062 views)
File Type: jpg device.JPG (39.5 KB, 1343 views)
whilemyguitargentlyWeaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
metal_priest

Hi and welcome!
you need to turn on the monitoring from reaper clicking on that little speaker icon on the track.
You need to turn it on by hand because a lot of interfaces has a built in 0 latency monitoring and you don't need to listen "from reaper"...but with your behringer you need to turn it on
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
whilemyguitargentlyWeaps

Hey metal_priest

Thanks for your reply but the monitoring button inside of reaper is clicked (I attached a few screen captures on my first post) - still not sure how to resolve this issue.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Pickasso

Will the session playback? Can you hear playback, just not your guitar?
Pickasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #5
uncleswede

You seem to have the computer's line in using the WDM driver and Reaper configured to expect the ASIO driver. What if you switch the Reaper audio config to use the WDM driver?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
whilemyguitargentlyWeaps

Hey all thanks for your reply. Strange thing - I gave it a rest for a day, plugged it all back in and it appears to be working.I'm not sure what fixed it but happy that it is resolved. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
lyric4him

Default I have same issue

My same exact device will record audio, must as one said no asio but WDM or direct drive, vocals fine, but have yet after months been able to get it to record my guitar.

40 years pro at all music now PC stuff sense windows 95 and I know what I am doing and it will not work.
Tried other DAWS I gave same thing ONLY abelton live 10 Lite, will never buy abelton but only in abelton I can record guitar unreal.

Man how did yours get yours to work?
Yes monitor on etc, all set up as should been at reaper a year almost and still learning I use it for looping as well, of late it is the only DAW I use.
lyric4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric4him View Post
My same exact device will record audio, must as one said no asio but WDM or direct drive, vocals fine, but have yet after months been able to get it to record my guitar.

40 years pro at all music now PC stuff sense windows 95 and I know what I am doing and it will not work.
Tried other DAWS I gave same thing ONLY abelton live 10 Lite, will never buy abelton but only in abelton I can record guitar unreal.

Man how did yours get yours to work?
Yes monitor on etc, all set up as should been at reaper a year almost and still learning I use it for looping as well, of late it is the only DAW I use.
Interesting you're having issues across multiple devices. Was there anything different about how the Ableton Lite connected to your computer?

As far as the interface(s) that doesn't work, one good place to start is making sure Windows is playing nice with the interface. Check Device Manager in Windows when the non working interface is connected and make sure there's no problems there. Another thing to check is any software mixers that may be included with the software that came with your interface. I had panning issues with my Presonus interface, and thanks to some of the really smart people here, I was able to track it down to the balance controls on the output lines in the software mixer.

After that, it's all about signal path, making sure everything is where Reaper expects to see it.

Lot's of really good people here that know a lot more about this stuff than I do and are always happy to help. Post as much detail as you can, I'm sure someone here can help. I've been recording guitars in Reaper for years, so it does work. Just gotta make sure all the ducks are in a row.

Good luck.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
BobbyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whilemyguitargentlyWeaps View Post
Hey all thanks for your reply. Strange thing - I gave it a rest for a day, plugged it all back in and it appears to be working.I'm not sure what fixed it but happy that it is resolved. Thanks for your help.
alot of times just rebooting does wonders. glad ya fixed it
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
lyric4him

Default toleolu ThaNX

mAN MY EYE site and hearing is going at 59, but am doing the best music in my life at present.
I was A++ cert and worked on PC's so I know all about the PC. Odd, some Magix, never buy anything but the pro audio, been trying to use acid pro 8 and 9 will not even work MMM deluxe crashes my PC soundforge stopped working.
Time for a fresh win 7 install but wow.
I have ram and sound card, but OEM software once I do that, it will say in 30 days win not valid, it is, that is what OEM does.
I have a TB and 600GB of music stuff and well I-lock all of my vsti's man once it says not valid, I assume i-lock and others will be a hassle not sure anyone know anything on that
its valid, I want to add the 4GB more ram and 24 bit sound card, bu8t once before had to reinstall.
ISO image disk and all I know, but I do not want a new install I have so much with my herb school, and more, music, writing on and on, If I do it 30 days not valid will these things Pro vsti's- XLN installer verification I-Lock will these still work I can deal with the stupid pop up[ this is not valid?

I have an old mint cond Boss br-1200 cd took out of storage to record my axes, but what a hassle.

I miss win XP pro but 64 bit is better.
Hello, thanx and I wish all a very creative inspired weekend.
I will, Dr Dan Lyric4him deep in the Mojave desert 11 years man I must see trees soon LOL.
No specs to give all is correct.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
lyric4him

Default Update on issue

OK
Looked and yes I see and can use condenser mic always says even with axe plugged in mic USB codec downloaded the drivers something new no difference just another asio driver I looked again in abelton 10 lite made mistake mic no axe opps, so NO daws will let me record the darn axe but its great with my mike.
Oh well
Odd indeed- I read it works for others so I do not get it? Help?
What can anyone say? I know I tried in ALL DAWS nothing, yes asio Driver mic always no problem but direct in 1/4 low Impedance no asio hmm.
One can not record an axe with asio must be a different driver I understand that one, I tried anyway and still showing USB codec and ASIO .
Man.
Oh well
Back to recording some vox and vsti's thanx all maybe a new interface better yet a new PC but a poor man I am indeed LOL.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #12
toleolu

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that when you plug your mic in, it works fine. If you unplug the mic, and plug your guitar in where the mic was connected, you get nothing??
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #13
Stella645

Let's check the basics

You are plugging in the Instrument input?
What type of cable are you using?
Do the signal/clip lights on the UM2 come on when playing the guitar?
Are you sure you're selecting the correct input in Reaper?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote