Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Default Go to marker shortcut keys similar to ProTools

Hi Reaper Community

One thing thats been bugging me recently is that I cannot use a simple keyboard shortcut to get to markers that are numbered higher than 9. So If I want to go to marker 11 I have no way of doing so quickly.

The way ProTools implements this is very intuitive and smart. You press "." followed by a number which can be any number of digits, e.g. "11" then followed by "." again to jump to marker 11 and so on. Could we have a similar function implemented in Reaper please?

Also while we are at it it would be good to have a similar function for regions or time selections. Like if I want to time select region 11 I would do something similar but instead of using "." key maybe a different key for regions could be used... maybe ","

What do people think of this?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
foxAsteria

there are native actions for markers up to 30 and the marker list if you want to directly go to maker above there.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
there are native actions for markers up to 30 and the marker list if you want to directly go to maker above there.
Yes but this is not the same thing and I don't want to assign other hotkeys to these markers that I could use elsewhere... something that would allow you to just use the numbers corresponding to the marker's actual number is far more intuitive and easy to remember than a bunch of random hotkeys.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
something that would allow you to just use the numbers corresponding to the marker's actual number is far more intuitive and easy to remember than a bunch of random hotkeys.
Oh, so...something like the Marker List? That's one shortcut and a mouse click. There's also one for Regions. For Time Selections you can just use regions and double click them to make the time selections. The way you describe isn't at all intuitive to me, personally. Plus if you have many many markers, what good is the number? Marker List will show you all the markers in order with names that you can click to navigate to.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
EpicSounds

Try the 'jump to' function

type [m] number [enter]

example - "m12" to go to marker 12

I'm sure a script could be written to do the same thing without pressing m first.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
foxAsteria

Never seen that before, but it's essentially what the OP asked for. It's called "View: jump to time window" in the actions list.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
The Bunker

Ok I just had a look at the Marker List, this is cool, but

1. It takes screen real estate and

2. I just find keyboard shortcuts quicker than mouse use.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Do it how you want, but I can't imagine trying to remember all the positions and the numbers of their markers. You can easily use a keyboard shortcut to toggle the marker list visibility.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
lexaproductions

Yeah +1 to FoxAsteria
Exactly what you asked for I think.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:11 AM   #10
The Bunker

Its not exactly what I asked for and you don't need to be able to remember every single marker number in a session for this to be useful... how you don't see that is beyond me.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 AM   #11
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Try the 'jump to' function

type [m] number [enter]

example - "m12" to go to marker 12

I'm sure a script could be written to do the same thing without pressing m first.
That can be a good idea if someone knows how to script it for you..try a Script request people are surprisingly generous to help. You could actually make it be on "." Rather than "m" if scriptable.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
FnA

Tried to help another pro tools user with a script here.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=168514

It can be rearranged for different keystroke manipulation/functionality, but will require the get user input window interface. I set it up there to only require the numpad keys...
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #13
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Tried to help another pro tools user with a script here.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=168514

It can be rearranged for different keystroke manipulation/functionality, but will require the get user input window interface. I set it up there to only require the numpad keys...
Thanks for your input... I never played around with scripts much but am willing to give it a go if it will do what I want it to... Just wondering what is the "user input window interface"? This is all new to me.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #14
FnA

"GetUserInputs" is the name for a script function that creates a pop up window that has 1-8 fields for text input. That is the "interface" mentioned. I don't think what you want is currently possible without an intermediary like the GetUserInput or possibly the GFX window, to become focused, and intercept keystrokes from getting to whatever else might have focus.

So, your request to the developers may be legit. As is, the script linked to would require you to press (.)(1)(2)(3)(enter/numenter) rather than (.)(1)(2)(3)(.). The GFX window might allow the period character to terminate the window and run the script. But that is more elaborate for me, and you still have a window.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #15
larryJ

Default Web Tool to go to Numbered Marker

I wrote a REAPER Web Interface script that you could use to go to any numbered marker. It and other scripts I developed, originally for Theater use, are located at www.WorkWebs.com in the REAPER for Theater tab. The LJ Numbered Marker Navigator for REAPER is the tool that does what you asked for...though in navigating it drives to the desired marker...meaning it hits each marker along the way from where it started to the destination. Anyway, have a look, it may work for you.
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #16
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
So, your request to the developers may be legit. As is, the script linked to would require you to press (.)(1)(2)(3)(enter/numenter) rather than (.)(1)(2)(3)(.). The GFX window might allow the period character to terminate the window and run the script. But that is more elaborate for me, and you still have a window.
Open a tiny GFX window off in the corner so you can track the user input, and have a timer set to close + execute once it doesn't see any keys for more than X milliseconds.

I've never used Pro Tools but I can't see their behavior being any easier than that.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #17
FnA

That's an option too, I guess.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #18
D Rocks

This week ive discovered AutoHotkey which runs a script you make in the background of of computer.

I have been able to press numpad 1 AND 2 at same time to trigger in REAPER Ctrl+NumPad1 perfectly.

Ill elaborate something and try to come up with a userfriendly method.

Thanks for pushing us to think about this.
Im also gonna try to create a Double Tap Key script to assign double taps to more coplex combos of keycommands like ctrl alt shift windows ...
Old 04-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #19
D Rocks

On Windows, with program AutoHotKey,

I scripted to overide windows keys like this:
Code:
. & 1::^!+#1
.::Send {.}
return

. & 2::^!+#2
return

. & 3::^!+#3
return

. & 4::^!+#4
return

. & 5::^!+#5
return

. & 6::^!+#6
return

. & 7::^!+#7
return

. & 8::^!+#8
return

. & 9::^!+#9
return

. & 0::^!+#0
return
Explanation:
Pressing . and releasing it sends the default . funtion to windows and Reaper.

Holding . and pressing 1 while . is still pressed sends Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Win+1 to Windows and Reaper which is assigned in Reaper to "Go to Marker 11"

And this is repeated up to "Go to marker 20"

so
. 1 = marker 11
. 2 = marker 12
and so on

If you want it to be on your NumPads instead of normal numbers all you have to change in the script is:
Code:
NumpadDot & Numpad1::^!+#1
NumpadDot::Send {NumpadDot}

Are you interested in this ? its very easy to setup and works very well here on my laptop Windows 10 with AutoHotKey v1 (free open source software for Windows)

Thanks to those who mentionned AutoHotkey somehwere in the Reaper forums, made me lookout for this awesome program

My next step to learn is to assign double tap key functions example tap NumPad1 once = marker 1| Tap twice = marker 11

Last edited by D Rocks; 04-21-2018 at 07:03 AM.
D Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Open a tiny GFX window off in the corner so you can track the user input, and have a timer set to close + execute once it doesn't see any keys for more than X milliseconds.

I've never used Pro Tools but I can't see their behavior being any easier than that.
hey Lokasenna, I'm very interested in your idea. May I ask a favor please if its not a time investment from you... Is it possible to know how you would code this in its simplest form please? I've been trying to find out on my own all day and I ended up in the corner where its physically impossible with autohotkey :P
Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #21
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
hey Lokasenna, I'm very interested in your idea. May I ask a favor please if its not a time investment from you... Is it possible to know how you would code this in its simplest form please? I've been trying to find out on my own all day and I ended up in the corner where its physically impossible with autohotkey :P
The short answer is "look at Radial Menu". :/

If I get some time later today I'll try to pull a few functions out of there to make a template.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
D Rocks

Thanks man no urge

Im reading more on Autohotkey right now as It just seems that physically its impossible to not double send the first tapped key or to wait for a release without delay.

Ex: tap 1 once = instant marker 1
Tap 1 twice = instant marker 11

Trouble is:
1: you either have to deactivate the single tap 1, or you get both 1 and 11 markers be triggered quickly one after the other.
2: you make a wait function to seperate them both, but it needs minimum 170ms delay on the single tap 1. Which is kinda inacceptable for those likw me who make everything to minimize delay in their workflow.

My current best solution using Autohotkey is HOLD . Then press 1 to 0 to trigger marker 11 to 20. It works but I'm making it a personnal challenge to be able to do it flawlessly: either double tap numbers or simply enter the number (11 or 13 etc)

Anyways if you have something made from within Reaper it'll be awesome and Id surely learn how you did it. In the wait thanks in advance and enjoy your afternoon
Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
D Rocks

Default AutoHotKey - toggle markers 1 to 10 and 11-20 with Numpad

Good Evening Reaperians

I've spent the last two days - believe it or not - just to figure out how to solve this problem with AutoHotkey.

I've finally been able to acheive a very desirable behavior (IMO) with a AutoHotkey Script. This is for WINDOWS only, sorry for mac users.

With this script, you can TOGGLE the Numpad Numbers to trigger your marker 1 to 20 keycommands.
It has been working flawlessly and the quickest way I've heard of for me.

https://youtu.be/w5sjt8rqLPg

If you guys are interested in this, I will post more info and links in a new thread

cheers,

Last edited by D Rocks; 04-25-2018 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Update
D Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #24
gomadare

I wrote a simple plugin ( not script ) for Windows x64 with C++/Nana Gui Toolkit. Please try it...

[Usage / Installation]
1) Unzip attached file
2) Move dll file to (your reaper folder)/Plugins
3) Launch reaper and you'll find the action named "Gomadare:[Jump2Marker] Start Key Observation". Then, add action shortcut ( period(.) is recommended ) to this action.

4) Now, you can open the window with shortcut key.
Press numkeys, close the window and jump to the marker.
You can close the window by pressing period key , clicking outside the window or waiting for 2 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sample.gif (54.7 KB, 1393 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_xjump2marker.zip (494.9 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by gomadare; 04-25-2018 at 03:41 AM.
gomadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #25
D Rocks

wow very nice man!! Good job its super nice that you made it directly in c++! Wish I knew how to code c++
Also very powerfull since you can go to infinite marker numbers!

The original post made us work and now User's have lots of versatility its awesome. Viva el' REAPER

For all of you who are interested in a similar method I've now updated my post just above these two posts. The special thing about AutoHotkey is that it runs in the background (the tray icon is visible on your computer) And now I've been able to create a "marker bank" just like a MIDI controller with octaves UP and DOWN. You also have the visual indication with your Keyboard's LED if you have some.

So pick your style
  1. Region/ marker list
  2. Lokasenna's Radial Menu
  3. My AutoHotkey script
  4. This awesome c++ add-on by gomadare
Old 04-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #26
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomadare View Post
I wrote a simple plugin ( not script ) for Windows x64 with C++/Nana Gui Toolkit. Please try it...
It looks nice. Could it be possible to compile for 32bit x86 system, please?
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 AM   #27
larryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
wow very nice man!! Good job its super nice that you made it directly in c++! Wish I knew how to code c++

The original post made us work and now User's have lots of versatility its awesome. Viva el' REAPER

For all of you who are interested in a similar method I've now updated my post just above these two posts. The special thing about AutoHotkey is that it runs in the background (the tray icon is visible on your computer) And now I've been able to create a "marker bank" just like a MIDI controller with octaves UP and DOWN. You also have the visual indication with your Keyboard's LED if you have some.

So pick your style
  1. Region/ marker list
  2. Lokasenna's Radial Menu
  3. My AutoHotkey script
  4. This awesome c++ add-on by gomadare
or. the Web script referenced above that lets you go to any numbered marker by a name/number list and button via a web interface
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:10 AM   #28
gomadare

Hi, I fixed my plugin for overflowing bug and added backspace feature. You can download it below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks
Thanks a lot! I am surprised at as many as solutions. Wonderful... (Actually, it can jump up to 2147483637 because of the limit of reaper.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie
It looks nice. Could it be possible to compile for 32bit x86 system, please?
Thank you! I have to rebuild nana (the basis of this plugin) for x86, so I need a little more time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_xjump2marker.zip (416.7 KB, 138 views)
gomadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #29
inarisound

Quote:
Hi, I fixed my plugin for overflowing bug and added backspace feature. You can download it below.

Thanks a lot! I am surprised at as many as solutions. Wonderful... (Actually, it can jump up to 2147483637 because of the limit of reaper.)

Thank you! I have to rebuild nana (the basis of this plugin) for x86, so I need a little more time.

WOW this is exactly what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much! <3

I have a question is it possible to decrease the input wait time?

Right now it's approximately 4~3 sec witch is a lot.... considering that most ppl would never go beyond XX therefore no need to input that slowly...
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #30
The Bunker

Oh wow I haven't been here for quite a while and there have been a number of replies since I last logged on. Apologies I am not super active on the forums, but appreciate the input from everyone. I will read through each of these when time permits and let you all know if any of it has helped me. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #31
blindwiz

Quote:
Hi Reaper Community

One thing thats been bugging me recently is that I cannot use a simple keyboard shortcut to get to markers that are numbered higher than 9. So If I want to go to marker 11 I have no way of doing so quickly.

The way ProTools implements this is very intuitive and smart. You press "." followed by a number which can be any number of digits, e.g. "11" then followed by "." again to jump to marker 11 and so on. Could we have a similar function implemented in Reaper please?

Also while we are at it it would be good to have a similar function for regions or time selections. Like if I want to time select region 11 I would do something similar but instead of using "." key maybe a different key for regions could be used... maybe ","

What do people think of this?
It can already be done as mentioned in a prior post. The jump to action is what you want.

It is called "View: Jump to time window"

Assign it to a shortcut like control+J then if your project is set to beats and barsl, typing a number will jump to any bar, pressing m"followed by a number" will jump to any marker, and pressing r"followed by any number" will jump to any region.
blindwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #32
The Bunker

Quote:

[Usage / Installation]
1) Unzip attached file
2) Move dll file to (your reaper folder)/Plugins
3) Launch reaper and you'll find the action named "Gomadare:[Jump2Marker] Start Key Observation". Then, add action shortcut ( period(.) is recommended ) to this action.

4) Now, you can open the window with shortcut key.
Press numkeys, close the window and jump to the marker.
You can close the window by pressing period key , clicking outside the window or waiting for 2 seconds.
Wow, just logged into say that I finally got around to trying this and to thank you. This is EXACTLY what I wanted and I am so pleased to know Reaper can do it and so grateful that somebody with the brains went out of their way to create the solution. This is in fact now even one step better than the protools functionality as it allows you to see the number of the marker as you are typing it.

Now not to be too demanding, but all of this triggered another idea in my head... what if we could use the exact same thing to go to a marker based on the name of the marker rather than its number, you know what I mean?

So that for example if we had a marker called "chorus", we could just type "." followed by the word "chorus" followed by "."

On the face of it this may seem more cumbersome as there are more keys being typed but in a way it may be quicker and more intuitive because we obviously remember song parts more readily than arbitrary numbers we assign to them. Specially when the number of markers dont necessarily correlate to their position in the timeline for whatever reason.

What do people think of this? Yay or nay as far as a workflow thing is concerned? I myself have obviously never tried this cause I don't know any DAWs with this functionality, but I know that I have in the past had to make a document with a list of my markers and constantly refer to it in order to navigate more effectively through a project and have often wondered whether its even worth the time spent looking at another window and whether if its just better to scroll around until I get to the right spot instead. So this may help fix that issue.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:21 AM   #33
Eddy

Quote:
Wow, just logged into say that I finally got around to trying this and to thank you. This is EXACTLY what I wanted and I am so pleased to know Reaper can do it and so grateful that somebody with the brains went out of their way to create the solution. This is in fact now even one step better than the protools functionality as it allows you to see the number of the marker as you are typing it.

Now not to be too demanding, but all of this triggered another idea in my head... what if we could use the exact same thing to go to a marker based on the name of the marker rather than its number, you know what I mean?

So that for example if we had a marker called "chorus", we could just type "." followed by the word "chorus" followed by "."

On the face of it this may seem more cumbersome as there are more keys being typed but in a way it may be quicker and more intuitive because we obviously remember song parts more readily than arbitrary numbers we assign to them. Specially when the number of markers dont necessarily correlate to their position in the timeline for whatever reason.

What do people think of this? Yay or nay as far as a workflow thing is concerned? I myself have obviously never tried this cause I don't know any DAWs with this functionality, but I know that I have in the past had to make a document with a list of my markers and constantly refer to it in order to navigate more effectively through a project and have often wondered whether its even worth the time spent looking at another window and whether if its just better to scroll around until I get to the right spot instead. So this may help fix that issue.
I think the ctrl+J method mentioned by blindwiz gets most if not all of what you are wanting via named regions. Covers named or numbered markers and named or numbered regions
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #34
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think the ctrl+J method mentioned by blindwiz gets most if not all of what you are wanting via named regions. Covers named or numbered markers and named or numbered regions
Ooooh nice! Somehow missed all that. Thanks for reminding me again!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #35
EpicSounds

Quote:
Ooooh nice! Somehow missed all that. Thanks for reminding me again!
I said it in post #5 as well.

m12 goes to marker 12, m'verse goes to marker named verse

same with regions

or type in specific time

all the instructions are in the jump-to window.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #36
Eddy

Quote:

same with regions

or type in specific time

apologies I missed your earlier post and just saw the blindwiz one. (I like your blog)
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #37
The Bunker

Quote:

same with regions

or type in specific time

Yes, you are right... no idea how I missed that. But I like having both options now anyway... the . number . option and the jump to option for marker names. Best of both worlds!