Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #1
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Default Is Reaper's auto remove silence tool useless?

It does not work.

Either nothing happens, or the entire item (including audible information) is removed.

Is the tool actually buggy?
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
xpander

How much or little it removes depends on auto trim/split settings. Notice also that there are 4 modes in there. Do you have an example item where it doesn't work?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:19 PM   #3
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
How much or little it removes depends on auto trim/split settings. Notice also that there are 4 modes in there. Do you have an example item where it doesn't work?

I understand how it works, but it is super buggy and 'literally' useless for me.

Look at how, with a threshold of -70.0dB (where the audio content is clearly a level above this), it removes the entire item, including the audio content. Settings used are attached as well. I have played with all manner of threshold settings above this and it just does not work properly.

I am now instead using Dynamic Splits for this task - works well. However, I do miss 'make non-silent clips no shorter than X ms' setting that you get with Auto trim tool.
Attached Images
File Type: png Autotrim settings.png (20.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-18-2021, 02:03 AM   #4
xpander

How about just a regular item? That one above has some anomaly right before the clap hit. Just wondering on what part of the item auto trim is actually working on in cases like that...
Old 06-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
Coachz

You are likely to get more help using titles like "How do I use the Reaper silence tool?" instead of the snarky title you used.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #6
pepe44

This tool should have a threshold display like the dynamic split.
I really do think it can be improved too. In Cubase is just so relaxing the way it works.
That's why i don't rely too much on the Audo trim/split item action in Reaper.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
You are likely to get more help using titles like "How do I use the Reaper silence tool?" instead of the snarky title you used.
Why? Useless is just the opposite of useful. In my experience the auto trim tool is doing 0% of what I ask it to do. That's not a great outcome.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
This tool should have a threshold display like the dynamic split.
I really do think it can be improved too. In Cubase is just so relaxing the way it works.
That's why i don't rely too much on the Audo trim/split item action in Reaper.
Totally agree! Cubase rocks in that area.
As I said though dynamic split can do the job in Reaper but the annoying part is that you can't set the minimum length of audio content or minimum a silent area must be in duration, so for peaky material it does multiple unwanted cuts.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
talustalus

Quote:
How about just a regular item? That one above has some anomaly right before the clap hit. Just wondering on what part of the item auto trim is actually working on in cases like that...
Actually I just extended that item before the clap hit because I was out of ideas at that point.
My experience is that the auto trim tool is not working.

But add these to Dynamic Split and auto trim becomes obsolete :
1, ignore silent areas shorter than... (ms)
2, make non - silent areas at least... (ms)
Old 06-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Why? Useless is just the opposite of useful. In my experience the auto trim tool is doing 0% of what I ask it to do. That's not a great outcome.
Useless can be perceived as insulting to the developer.

Coachz Repo
Old 06-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #11
xpander

Quote:
Actually I just extended that item before the clap hit because I was out of ideas at that point. My experience is that the auto trim tool is not working.
Got it, thanks. I knew it shouldn't be a looped item, indents are different. But an extended item does have those notches. And indeed, when trying to auto trim an item like that, it just disappeared here also.

---
edit: further testing. Not necessarily an extended item issue. Ignore silence shorter than and/or Make non-silent clips no shorter than settings seem to be crucial for this. I initially had (older) values there (100 ms) and auto trim just worked. But removing them causes the trimmed item to disappear, no matter what the threshold is set to.

Last edited by xpander; 06-18-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Useless can be perceived as insulting to the developer.
You're right, I wasn't thinking about the developer when I wrote that. I sometimes go with the most direct and short language I know to discuss something technical.

If any Reaper developer is reading this, you have changed my life for the better and I'm grateful. When I make enough money in this, as a direct result of the enormously helpful tools the developers have made possible, I will donate a hefty sum as show of my thanks.

No joke!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #13
talustalus

Quote:
Got it, thanks. I knew it shouldn't be a looped item, indents are different. But an extended item does have those notches. And indeed, when trying to auto trim an item like that, it just disappeared here also.

---
edit: further testing. Not necessarily an extended item issue. Ignore silence shorter than and/or Make non-silent clips no shorter than settings seem to be crucial for this. I initially had (older) values there (100 ms) and auto trim just worked. But removing them causes the trimmed item to disappear, no matter what the threshold is set to.
Managed to play around with those settings and get some random results. Overall I find it too unpredictable. For instance, when expecting only 1 item to remain, it resulted with several bite-sized items after processing with the tool.

Dynamic Split does seem to have a better handle, don't know why. (although it's still missing the 2 settings you mentioned which would help).

Also I'm pretty sure you're a developer here, so thank you for your work, you've probably changed my life in ways I'm not even aware of.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:21 AM   #14
xpander

Quote:
Also I'm pretty sure you're a developer here, so thank you for your work, you've probably changed my life in ways I'm not even aware of.
Oh no, I'm certainly not a dev, just another Reaper user here like you. I have not needed to use this trim feature for ages. But from the little I did, it took some tries to get it right in each different case. Hope you'll find some good settings for what you do.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:04 AM   #15
talustalus

Quote:
Oh no, I'm certainly not a dev, just another Reaper user here like you. I have not needed to use this trim feature for ages. But from the little I did, it took some tries to get it right in each different case. Hope you'll find some good settings for what you do.
Oh ok, bad assumption on my part.
Thanks for your input! I'll be using Dynamic Splits rather than the Auto trim tool.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #16
Coachz

Quote:
You're right, I wasn't thinking about the developer when I wrote that. I sometimes go with the most direct and short language I know to discuss something technical.

If any Reaper developer is reading this, you have changed my life for the better and I'm grateful. When I make enough money in this, as a direct result of the enormously helpful tools the developers have made possible, I will donate a hefty sum as show of my thanks.

No joke!

Coachz Repo