Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
MrJones
Human being with feelings

Default "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state" is kinda useless if not per plugin

I have a single plugin which requires "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state" to be off to avoid weird artifacts. Because of this, I cannot reliably turn on this option - and I constantly need to think to turn it off in the affected projects, and of course it will then lower the quality of all other plugins as well for no real reason except that it cannot be specified per plugin.

The option would be more than just theoretically useful if it could actually be specified per plugin like the separate process firewalling options so I can specify it for the affected plugins only.

The same applies to the other options like "Bypass audio while opening plug-in config", "Allow complete unload ..." etc. I never needed those, but if I did they'd also be not that useful to me in the current state - those really should be specified and saved for each VST plugin separately.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
and of course it will then lower the quality of all other plugins
Err, no. If it lowers the qualiy of output with that option enabled, the fault is in the plugin, not the DAW. Plugins must respond correctly to offline rendering state. If they don't, it's their bug to fix, simple as that.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
MrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Err, no. If it lowers the qualiy of output with that option enabled, the fault is in the plugin, not the DAW. Plugins must respond correctly to offline rendering state. If they don't, it's their bug to fix, simple as that.
You misunderstood. Plugin A behaves incorrectly when informed of offline render (sounds better in theory but causes distortion when there's full moon and it's a Saturday night or don't ask me what triggers it, it's rare but it happens in which case I need to do something about it). Plugin B, C behave correctly and sound nicer during offline render. Now I have badly sounding B, C because A is buggy and I need to turn informing off globally because it's not available as a per plugin option.

And what do you mean by "it's their bug to fix"? The whole point of all the compatibility options is to work around plugin bugs. Do you want to bribe East West into fixing their plugin? (let me remark here that I can barely reproduce it myself - but it does happen, and then I need to do something about it.) Don't be such an idealist, in the end of the day we all have our deadlines - and there's always yet another VST that is broken.

The point is, it works with that option (which is probably why it exists), but it would be much more useful if I could enable it just for the affected plugin.

Last edited by MrJones; 04-05-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
EvilDragon

If it doesn't behave correctly with offline render, I don't use it. That goes for EastWest, too. There are better sounding libraries in Kontakt world, anyways
Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
MrJones

Sure that is how it works in an ideal world, but you don't always stumble across the more hidden bugs at the time of purchase.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Indeed, I can relate. I've never managed to make Magix Independence authorize on THREE different computers that I have/had. I just called it a loss in the end.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
MrJones

So will this ever be looked into?

This option is only useful for buggy plugins, and usually a specific one has a bug and not suddenly your entire collection of 50 plugins. Therefore, it'd really be MUCH more practically useful if it could be applied per plugin like the bridging.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
innuendo

This belongs more to a "feature requests" section, but IMHO this is a good idea.
With some plugins (notably some better equalizers) this really should be enabled, but since most users do not want or know how to test every single plugin for correctly handling this capability, it's best to only enable with known-good ones.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote