Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
-kiff-
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple bit/sample rates in same project

Hi guys, new here...

My friend is upgrading his studio from a couple of Fostex portable HD recorders to a PC w/ Reaper and a FireStudio Project interface.

We started recording a song on the Fostex machines and have dumped the tracks (via CD backup) into Reaper. All of the tracks were recorded at 44.1k and 16 bit.

We want to finish tracking with the Firestudio, but we're concerned about recording at 96k/24bit.

From what I understand, there could already be some dithering issues or whatnot from the existing tracks. Is there a problem with recording the new tracks at the higher rate/depth? Any artifacts or anything when mixing the two?

Sorry for the noob question, but the FS just got in today and we're eager to track...

TIA!
-kiff- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kiff- View Post

From what I understand, there could already be some dithering issues or whatnot from the existing tracks.
Obviously playing back and mixing at a different samplerate will change the sound information in some way. But if it's anything you could ever tell by just listening to the sound is another matter. Bit depth is even less any concern, everything in Reaper is converted to 64 bit floating point audio anyway right as it is read from the files.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
-kiff-

OK, thanks Xenakios
-kiff- is offline   Reply With Quote