Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
osflaa
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper as ReWire host

I have done some testing using FL Studio as ReWire client in Reaper and have a couple of questions:
1. When I close Reaper with FL Studio as a ReWire client, Reaper doesn't shut down properly. I have to termitate the Reaper prosess in task manager. To avoid this I have to remove the ReWire client (Fx) from the track where it's inserted before I close Reaper. Is this normal?
2. I've noticed that the content in the ReWire client is not saved when I close the Reaper project. Do I always have to manually save two parallell projects, one Reaper- and one FL-project?
osflaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
brainwreck

I don't use FL, but in general, you should close the client before closing the host. And yes, you need to save separate project files in the client and host (the joys of rewire). Be sure to save the host and client before closing the client. I typically use the same name for rewire project files, appending the client with 'rewire', for example:

some_crap.rpp
some_crap-rewire.rsn

Since the host is saved with the client running, the client will be reopened automatically. Giving the projects the same name simplifies things, and adding '-rewire' to the client project name makes things eaiser when looking through project files.

Last edited by brainwreck; 12-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
osflaa

Thanks a lot! Good to hear that everything is "normal" so far. I'm using a beta version of FL ReWire 64-bit so I was afraid it crashed because of a bug.
osflaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by osflaa View Post
Thanks a lot! Good to hear that everything is "normal" so far. I'm using a beta version of FL ReWire 64-bit so I was afraid it crashed because of a bug.
Rewire is just kind of an old workaround. We need something along the lines of Jack (but not Jack!), which can pass audio, MIDI, osc between applications at low latency, and can save projects and configurations simultaneously without a bunch of, 'do this in that order' bologne.