Old 02-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Powermac
Human being with feelings

Default How are you saving your Reaper projects?

As a few of you may know I had a number of tracks from two different projects somehow transfer (and replace) tracks to the project I'm currently working on. In other words the current song/project is magically playing tracks from three different songs, and the original tracks that were replaced are know where to be found.

Thanks to the advice of some in this forum I have quickly learned that I need to better setup how projects are saved on my drive. I know I'm a novice, but am learning.

Anyway, I've been watching Kenny's video on "save preferences & auto save in Reaper," and while I'm still trying to figure out all of his advice, I was hoping that some of you might give me suggestions on how you save each project. Also how your setting up your preferences?

Edit: If it makes any difference I am saving everything to an external SSD. Computer is only used for Reaper and plugins.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Powermac; 02-11-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Powermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
toleolu

I have a Projects folder on a separate internal drive that I save all my projects to. When I save a project I check the boxes to Create Subdirectory and Copy Media.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

My needs are possibly a liitle more complex than yours, as I work on projects for different people.

I have a D:\REAPER Projects folder (D: being my second internal drive)

Then a sub-folder for each client, e.g. D:\REAPER Projects\SueSmith, D:\REAPER Projects\DaveSquires etc

Then further subfolders for each song, eg D:\REAPER Projects\SueSmith\OobyDooby, D:\REAPER Projects\SueSmith\HubblyBubbly etc.

Save options same as toleolu above.

It's your call whether to enable autosave or not. Many people do, and with good reason. Personally I don't because I like to have control, and press Ctrl S when it make sense to do so, rather than auto save on a pure time lapse basis.

I also maximise the benefits of Undo History, by enabling the Undo History options to save and load with project files. Yes, this increases disk space used but it is incredibly useful, enabling me to easily go back to earlier project states, even from days or weeks ago if I need to.

Perhaps not directly related, I also use SWS Snapshots a lot to save different mixing (post production) options and easily switch between them. This suits me much better than saving different versions of the same file.

Ans, above all, at least once a day (usually twice) I backup the D:\REAPER Projects folder (with sub folders of course) to my E: and G: external drives.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Yeah each project needs it’s own folder, preferably before you record anything, otherwise use “copy media”. I don’t do auto save mostly because back in the day with other programs it would interrupt whatever else I was trying to do in a more or less rude and occasionally destructive manner. I think Reaper is more polite about it, but I just avoid it and save often. In fact, I have overridden my spacebar shortcut to both stop and save. I DO use automatic backups though.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I have a Projects folder on a separate internal drive that I save all my projects to. When I save a project I check the boxes to Create Subdirectory and Copy Media.
Same here, exactly.

Also use a specific naming convention: Artist-album-song-ver#

Also backup everything to a cloud source.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
peter5992

I have a separate folder for each project, big or small, and within that folder I create subfolders for e.g. separate cues. In those subfolders I also keep Sibelius files and notes etc.

Every day I back up everything to an external drive, and in the cloud (BackBlaze).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
grinder

I have a drive specifically for Reaper Projects

I have all my projects in a folder on this drive named "Reaper Projects"
Inside this Folder "Reaper Projects" is where I place a new folder for each new project I start with Reaper naming the Folder with the new projects name.

While this is true I also do most of my VST installs from here so I have a folder I name "Plugin installs" so I can keep the current plugin which I have installed in the computer in it's own named folder.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
grinder

This is in another post I put it there by mistake however here it is!

Another thing I have found useful which I do after my time with Reaper,
if I am getting to the end of a project were I am doing mixes of the project at hand I will put another folder into the project folder I use for that particular project, call it "Master" then use it to put my mixes in and when I consider I have a final mix or mixes I then can prune them done to one or two.

As you can see I am separating the "tracking part" from the "Mixing" part
yet keeping them all in one package so easy access.
Also when backing up my project I need only copy/paste the "Project" file and
everything important "except the Data project file" which is on the C Drive goes with it. You will need the project DATA file to go with the backup as well so find out where that is in the manual.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
future fields

Every project into a subfolder.

I can't remember if my raw audio files go in the subfolder or one overall larger folder that holds them all.

Periodically, like whenever I finish a project I'll copy those folders onto an external for backup.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
Powermac

Tons of good info, guys, Thanks. I've got a few of the posts I'm going to respond to, but want to make sure I'm on the right basic path first. This is where I am so far...

I've gone into project prefs and have checked the "prompt to save on new project" box. That works fine for me... On the new project I'm then checking the "create subdirectory for project" and "copy all media into project directory." I've done five different tests and all the files are going into the individual folders, and then to a main project folder. Does this sound about right? Wouldn't the individual folders be sub folders?

Everything seems to be working so far and is organized. Am I missing anything so far?

Edit:Thanks for the patience.

Last edited by Powermac; 02-12-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
toleolu

In my case, all my project folders appear as individual folders within the folder I specified as my default project save path in Preferences.

So the way yours looks sound right to me.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #12
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
In my case, all my project folders appear as individual folders within the folder I specified as my default project save path in Preferences.

So the way yours looks sound right to me.
Great. That's exactly how mine is.