Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Banned
Human being with feelings

Default ReaControlMIDI sends to all 16 MIDI channels

ReaControlMIDI sends the same MIDI CC# values to all 16 MIDI channels simultaneously:

When the MIDI output is configured as "Send to channel 1" instead of "Send to original channels", the problem is even worse, since it becomes is harder to filter the redundant data externally:

There is absolutely no need for such spam, especially given the *extremely* scarce bandwidth of hardware MIDI connections. Please fix a.s.a.p.!

Bug Report here, please vote if you can reproduce and care to have it fixed.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
danfuerth

confirmed
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
DarkStar

The default "All channels" trips me up too.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
The default "All channels" trips me up too.

Oh wait, I totally missed that setting.

Then this should probably be changed into a FR to change that *idiotic* default setting. Why would anybody even want that??
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

I remember I once had a page long back and fourth with someone who apparently did want it that way. He said something to the amount of it being more noob friendly, as one doesn't need to care for which MIDI channel a VSTi/device is listening to. I gave in after a while.

A similar message spam happens with "Link track volume/pan to MIDI channel [whichever one channel of your choice]" sent through a send which is set to MIDI [whichever or All] => [All] with that weird MIDI button lit.
EG, link the track faders to channel 1 and set the send to MIDI [1] => [All] (and light up that MIDI button). Wiggle the track volume will spam messages on all channels to the receiving track.

One might have the idea that this is a consequence of setting the send to => [All], understanding it as "any incoming message is broadcasted on all channels", but it only accounts to track faders and the send faders themselves. Other messages (from an item or track input) going through this send won't be duplicated.
I'd rather have this particular [All] called [Through] and never duplicate.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

Default transfer from tracker IID4550

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Jeez, this is horrid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed
I wonder if it sends program changes the same way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth
I am not getting this at all on my end here. I even checked with Midiox and nothing like that.

(Amazed, yes it does. Any message created by RCM in all-channel-mode is sent on all channels.)
(Dan, did you test with ReaControlMIDI's MIDI channel set to [all]? This is a known behavior, RCM always did this spam thing.)

Last edited by gofer; 12-29-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I remember I once had a page long back and fourth with someone who apparently did want it that way. He said something to the amount of it being more noob friendly, as one doesn't need to care for which MIDI channel a VSTi/device is listening to. I gave in after a while.
LOL. Teaching noobs not to care about spamming MIDI is a very bad practice imho.

I just blew up another very noob-friendly sequencer app before I figured out is was just REAPER sending 1600% more data than it should.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

Yes, absolutely.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
danfuerth

confirmed ... needs to be fixed

Even if you do not put Reacontrolmidi on a midi track and route only on the I/O screen to the external even if you specify channel 1, it still sends the notes off to all channels serious bug..
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
gofer
-blänk-

Default transfer from tracker IID4550

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth
It does not matter if Reamidicontrol is loaded or not, the default in Reaper weather you set it to OFF is still to send the OFF messages.

In a track if you route the midi track to a midi output port and you have send notes off Unchecked in midi devices, Reaper will stay send the note off messages even though you told it not too!! and incredible if you set even channel 1 specific to the out port it will still send to all channels note offs

This is clearly seen with midiox

Run Reaper midi output through a virtual midi port into Midiox and you will see the midi data going in then if you press stop in Reaper , Midiox starts receiving the notes on off messages.
Dan, I think you are confusing this with the note-off issue that was also reported by Banned: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=114160.
This one is about ReaControlMIDI sending any messages it generates to all 16 channels as its default setting.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
markyboard

Default Linking track volume (fader) to MIDI Volume (CC7)

This appears to still be an issue when using the faders. The MIDI stream gets clogged up and hangs for many many seconds. I believe this is because when linking the faders it ignores the midi channel setting in ReaControlMIDI and send the CC7 to all channels. This makes linking track volume to midi unusable. Please fix.
markyboard is offline   Reply With Quote