Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
ekurburski
Human being with feelings

Default How to work through the tutorials?

I've had Reaper on my computer forever. I attended a midi clas abd an into to ProTools 8 in college. also have Pro Tools 10, Sonar and BIAB. The only thing I have been able to really use is BIAB, Sometimes I feel like a compete idiot. So my question is how should one proceed through your tutorials? Could you provide a basic guideline to follow?

BTW, this is not a complaint. I have watched several of your videos and sometimes I learn things and sometimes I don't. Watched the new one on creating multi samples today and was able to follow it through with understanding. So, thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Paul99

I can only say that the tutorials from Kenny were very helpful to me. I just started with the first and then just on and on, one by one. Until I came to subjects that were not or less important for me. That got me started.
Wish you luck watching Kenny's great tutorials!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
lowerbout

I agree with Paul99. I would start with the "Setting up Shop" and then "Reaper 5 Explained" series.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
BenK-msx

Rejoice that there are so many excellent video tutorials at all !

Nothing personal,
It's just many of us would have killed for such pro tips and resources when we were starting out but only option was to get stuck in, concentrate, try things and learn.

that knuckling down with persistance attitude is v necessary and advantageous moving forward in music and beyond so it is worth practice in itself.

My tip is to make tunes from start to finish as often as you can.

My problem with 'tutorialism' is we are often tricked into believing we've learnt something or 'have got better' when really nothing much has changed -
That only happens with repeated execution, assessment, adjustment and development.

Persist! And good luck.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Kenny Gioia

Great question.

I would start with deciding what you want to learn. One of the problems with the "REAPER 5 Explained" videos is that it's kinda long if you just want to get going. Although, it is the best place to start if you want to learn most of everything that REAPER does and can do before messing around.

If you just want to just make music and learn as little as possible about REAPER (to get the job done) I would watch either "Recording You Band" (if that's what you're planning) or "First MIDI Song" (if electronic music is your thing).

Both of these assume you know nothing about REAPER going in.

Once you get the basics, you can move on to "Setting Up Shop" and finally I would suggest "expanding all categories" (at the bottom) and simply doing a search in your browser for whatever interests you.

Hope that helps.

Kenny
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
ekurburski

Default thank you Kenny.

Thank you for your insight and of course the tutorials themselves. I will follow your advice as to watching "Your first Midi Song" and then go on from there.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekurburski View Post
Thank you for your insight and of course the tutorials themselves. I will follow your advice as to watching "Your first Midi Song" and then go on from there.
Awesome.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote