Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-23-2022, 07:38 AM   #1
GameAudioRvlzzr
Human being with feelings

Default How to achieve shorter render times during silence?

Hi!
I am rendering a long project with long parts of silence here and there. (I do want the silence in the rendered file.)
My rendering time is quite high, and i noticed it's just as slow for the silent bits, as for the rest. So when there's no audio, the plugins still do their processing, contributing to long render times. This seems so unnecessary.
Is there a way to save rendering time for the silent parts? I guess drawing a "mute plugins"-automation for each track would help but that is a lot of manual work. Is there an easier way?
Thanks for your input!
Micha
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameAudioRvlzzr View Post
Hi!
Is there a way to save rendering time for the silent parts?
Micha
Don't render them. I'm sure there's more than one way of doing it, but I'd render regions. i.e. manually define regions for the non-silent sections. You could add the rendered to the project, and then render again - but just that (selected) track.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
Lynx_TWO

Pretty sure someone mentioned this as a feature request but might take some time to get implemented. I do a lot of track prep in iZotope RX Advanced and asked for the same feature from them, since there’s usually a ton of silence between punching in and out, but it’d be way easier to implement this in an editor vs a DAW… using regions as suggested above would make the most sense, and it’s possible that someone here in the forum might know a way to script it to make the process easier/quicker
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:22 AM   #4
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
using regions as suggested above would make the most sense, and it’s possible that someone here in the forum might know a way to script it to make the process easier/quicker
I can't think of a way to automate identification of silent sections / regions without rendering the whole thing.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
I can't think of a way to automate identification of silent sections / regions without rendering the whole thing.
True… although I suppose one could gather a list of active tracks and active plugins on each track, disable those identified plugins, render out the master (super fast with no plugins enabled), identify digital silence, create regions, then re-enable the disabled plugins. That’s way beyond my current capabilities though to be sure…

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 06-25-2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
Fabian

I guess render regions with an option to render into a single file with silence between the regions, would be possible. This could probably be scripted, but of course having it as a native render option would be best.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
mschnell

Maybe using an output format that feature dynamic data compression such as MP3 with variable bit rate (lossy) or FLAC (lossless).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #8
jrk

Quote:
gather a list of active tracks and active plugins on each track, disable those identified plugins, render out the master (super fast with no plugins enabled), identify digital silence,
VSTi? Reverb / echo tails ? Can't see it working.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #9
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
VSTi? Reverb / echo tails ? Can't see it working.
Well… yes, reverb tail might be an issue, unless the other person doesn’t care about those outliers. I assume the OP is probably dealing with something like a podcast or recorded music that has long drawn out silence…

Actually, shoot, just realized he WANTS the silence in there. Sorry mate, you’re probably gonna have to put up with the longer render times if you want to keep the silence. No idea why you’d want to keep silent parts (unless you are talking about multitracks) but yea, you’re probably just gonna have to live with it for now.

Might want to post this type of feature request for the new CLAP audio plugin format though as it’s still technically being developed, and a feature such as detecting digital silence and not processing that section would be another feature that would be a good reason for adoption…

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 06-25-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:34 AM   #10
jrk

Yes, it depends very much on what kind of project the OP is working on. I can't imagine what kind of thing would need so much "original" silence. Surely the obvious thing is to break it (whatever it is) down to sections (regions / sub-projects / whatever) that actually have something happening in them, and assemble these sections to produce a finished "master" with silent sections as required.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:30 AM   #11
GameAudioRvlzzr

Thank you for all your input!

Quote:
No idea why you’d want to keep silent parts
Quote:
I can't imagine what kind of thing would need so much "original" silence.
I'm processing the audio of a video recording of a theater play.
I'm only doing the audio in Reaper, i'll edit the video and the processed audio file together in Resolve later.

Here's what it looks like:

At the beginning, there's a clap for sync (hard to see here bc it's short). The silence following is there because next all you hear is the audience entering the theater for half an hour, and i don't need that so i've cut it out. There's also a break in the middle of the play.
i DO need the silence in there though, because i use the clap at the beginning for sync. Everything needs to line up with the video after the clap, can't do that without the timing being the same as in the video.

Makes sense?
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper render silence.png (125.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #12
EpicSounds

Quote:
can't do that without the timing being the same as in the video.
You can export the two sections and spot the starts to timecode in resolve. You set reaper to the same framerate?

I can't see all your render settings but the slow render might also be from the resample algorithm.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #13
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
You can export the two sections and spot the starts to timecode in resolve.
Ah, awesome, i didn't know you could do that.
Not sure how to, either.
How does the information at what frame a render starts find its way into Resolve?

Quote:
You set reaper to the same framerate?
I don't set it to a framerate at all, since i don't use the framerate scale on the meter/transport at all. So it's probably on its default setting.

Quote:
I can't see all your render settings but the slow render might also be from the resample algorithm.
Mh interesting. I always ignored that setting, since i thought it wouldn't matter, because all my source files are 48 kHz, as are my renders. But i'll try it out, thank you!
Old 06-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #14
chriscomfort

I wonder if you could automate the plugins to mute or disable during the silences. Or automate muting the tracks that have the plugins. You might gain some time there. I'm not positive.

Or, as others have said, render that audio regions only. Then import them into Resolve and realign them before the final render out of Resolve.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:49 AM   #15
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
I wonder if you could automate the plugins to mute or disable during the silences. Or automate muting the tracks that have the plugins. You might gain some time there. I'm not positive.

Or, as others have said, render that audio regions only. Then import them into Resolve and realign them before the final render out of Resolve.
I adress both your suggestions in my original post.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #16
chriscomfort

Quote:
I adress both your suggestions in my original post.
Ah yes. My apologies.

Another thought (and I don't know much about this) would be to use Marker Actions connected to a custom action with something like:
Select all tracks
Track: Toggle FX bypass for selected tracks
https://www.sws-extension.org/markeractions.php
Place a marker at the end of an audio section, just before a silent part to disable all FX on all selected tracks. Then use the same action in a marker just before the audio starts again to reverse this.

Or, back to the automation idea, put the automation for the FX enable for all tracks into Write mode. Select all of the tracks that you want to temporarily disable. Move your play head to the desired location then just hit one of the FX Enable buttons. Which should affect and write to all of the selected tracks.

These options are all easiest if you are disabling the FX for all of the tracks, which I believe you are.