Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
TheJamesGExperience
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper with Zoom R16 latency, problems monitoring audio from computer while recording

Hey guys, Im new to recording..ie newbieland.
Heres where I am now. Im using the Zoom R16 as a interface. I have it running to my average at best computer thru the usb. I have a headphone amp that at the moment I have connected to the output on the Zoom. Im having issues with latency ..I guess thats what it is..tinny echo-y , when monitoring. Like If Im trying to play along with pandora , record pandora to one track,(I have the output of the computer speaker going to track 7 on the Zoo) record my drums to 4 other tracks. I cant hear the music correctly to play. I also cant get the music to show up on one track that I can remove as I add other instruments.
So what Im having issues with or the main issues are;

1 How can I monitor without latency and record to one track, pandora or other music, while I record simultaniously 4 - 8 other inputs.

2 Can the Zoom pick up the pandora or whatever thru the usb or do I need to do it like Ive got it ie running the headphone or speaker out from the computer to a open channel on the zoom

Ive looked at the track assignments, it shows all the zoom outputs but none of the computer outputs, Im thought Id need to set a track up on reaper to pick up the computer sound before it goes to the zoom, actually not using it at all for the pandora , but it cant figure it out.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
The James G Experience
TheJamesGExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
ivansc

Are you using proper Zoom R16 ASIO drivers?
That will get you your best round trip latency, which will be a good starting place.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
tls11823

I use an R16 as my audio interface. I always leave Reaper's record monitoring off when recording, using the sound direct from the board. This results in absolutely zero latency. When doing this, I can control the amount of output from the DAW vs. the amount from the input by rotating the knob right above the master meters between DAW and DIRECT. Works perfectly every time, and I've never had an artist complain about the levels or quality of the sound.

The only disadvantage of this is that you'll hear the untreated sound as it comes in, so any effects that you add in Reaper won't be heard until playback. That's never been a problem for me, and it's so much easier than fussing with reducing the latency.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
TheJamesGExperience

Default Latency

I told you I was a newbie. I have the chorus set as a input effect...It think thats causing the lousy sound as Im going from the zoom output to my headphone amplifier so Im guessing its taking that effect. Now Im trying to figure out how to remove it...
Its awesome btw to have folks to ask questions that answer and have answers, thanks guys.
James G
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
TheJamesGExperience

Default Nope

OK, another song came on and the vocals are much better without changing anything. Im going stereo out from the computer to mono in to track 7...I think i need to either change the output from the computer..or reaper..not sure which to mono ...or split the signal with a hard wire and put it in two different tracks..I can stil hear the chorus but It sounds better..not good just better
G
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
TheJamesGExperience

Default Think I got it

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16261

That is a thread from a board that showed me how to remove the effects from the Zoom R16

I also had a buddy come by and look at everything. The Zoom only samples at 44.1 and actually I think anyone will grow out of this in a month or so..the Zoom I mean. Unles they like the portable aspect or they are going to use it stand alone. As far as using it for a interface, you can get much much better interfaces that sample at 96k or whatever it is for the same price or less.
Thats just a FYI

Im still getting some latency and thready sound (he changed the buffer and so on..but I think its just the Zoom)from the phones when i try to play with music off the internet..but to me its solved, Im getting a new interface sat
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
ivansc

The general consensus of opinion is that 24 bit 44.1 or 48 is pretty much standard, 96 being the province of people who really want ultra high performance and will switch to 192 when it becomes widely available, plus have ram and cpu cycles and hard drive space to burn.

In the real world, the average mp3 or CD is not going to need 96.

And remember where most music gets bought and what it gets played on these days.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
jorge de jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamesGExperience View Post
I told you I was a newbie. I have the chorus set as a input effect...It think thats causing the lousy sound as Im going from the zoom output to my headphone amplifier so Im guessing its taking that effect. Now Im trying to figure out how to remove it...
Its awesome btw to have folks to ask questions that answer and have answers, thanks guys.
James G
under system application on my laptop

Here is what did work for me... in my Lenovo win 7 laptop. in my audio control I :
1. Disabled zoom r16 line
2. disable speakers
3. enable virtual audio device

In Reaper Audio System I used:

1. ASIO
2. ASIO Driver Zoom r 16
3. Zoom in 1 through 8
4. Zoom Out 1 and 2

I ended up here by pure chance! Good Luck
jorge de jorge is offline   Reply With Quote