Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
JFetter
Human being with feelings

Default Overdub record JUST midi CC data?

Hi all, very frustrating problem I'm having... wondering if there is a solution for it.

Example: I have recorded my midi parts, and everything is good except the CC modwheel data.
I want to hit "record" and go back over the entire section (without hitting any keys on the keyboard) by simply recording my new modwheel data.

I have found no way to overdub that is satisfactory.
Midi overdub & Midi replace are very close, but one of them removes the notes from before, and the other one only records CC modwheel data if it's higher than the old take. In other words, I have a mess of multiple CC curves.

If memory serves this was the default way to record in Cubase, I'm surprised there isn't an easy way to do it with Reaper.
JFetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
noise_construct

This would be nice, but afaik is not possible without a script. I'm actually trying to hack together one, hopefully someone knows of a more efficient way

EDIT: cycle actions would probably do this.

Last edited by noise_construct; 04-07-2016 at 02:39 PM.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Punk Duck

Why not leave your original track alone, create another track, route the midi from that to your original track, and just record cc data onto that.
Punk Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
J Reverb

The best way I have found is using ReaControlMidi as item fx then arm the desired envelope (Mod Wheel) and record to item envelope lane instead. A minimal bit of setting up but much more flexible than cc lanes I think.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
JFetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk Duck View Post
Why not leave your original track alone, create another track, route the midi from that to your original track, and just record cc data onto that.
That sounds like a lot of work. I prefer my templates to be a simple as possible. No routing... simply 1 track for Violin 1 section and that's that
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
JFetter

What I'm doing now is using the over dub, but to keep from recording CC "mountains" on top of one another I have to delete the whole section of CC modwheel data first, then to my take.

So just one extra step (delete previous take). But it's still a bit of nuisance.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Dstruct

I think this can be considered as a bug. CC overdub should be handled in a better way.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
noise_construct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
I think this can be considered as a bug. CC overdub should be handled in a better way.
That's it. I've become a reaperist. Instead of stating that, I'm fiddling with some workaround script.

I need an adult

or alcohol

(perhaps not a bug, but a tiny missing feature, CC overdub).
Old 04-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFetter View Post
If memory serves this was the default way to record in Cubase, I'm surprised there isn't an easy way to do it with Reaper.
Cubase doesn't do this either, you need to use the Delete Controller function and re-record because the overdub mode (that's only on by default with cycle recording in Cubase) does the same thing Reaper's does.

However, this is a fantastic feature request imo. We already have overdub and latch recording, so another touch latch record mode that only overwrites notes/pitch/each cc as they are touched and latches the last value until record is stopped would be immense.

If you want a "Delete CCs" action that you can run from the arrange window or MIDI editor, download my ReaMIDI scripts...

https://github.com/Lazzle/ReaMIDI

... just follow the instructions on the main page (scroll down) exactly to install.

@noise_construct: writing scripts is fun. If you don't want to do it, ask for it and somebody will either have it or perhaps even write one for you. There's enough going around now for most common or garden variety requests to have been done already.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
noise_construct

Yeah I enjoy learning Lua, which has other uses for me besides REAPER. I'm just worried about losing my perspective here
Old 04-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #11
snooks
Banned

Yes, there's that. You're perfectly free to close the box whenever you like though.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
perhaps not a bug, but a tiny missing feature, CC overdub)
Yep, this.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
(perhaps not a bug, but a tiny missing feature, CC overdub).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Yep, this.
Yeah, I personally don't mind simply deleting the part I want to replace. That way I don't have to worry about something else unexpected from happening.

This is definitely FR material, but I wouldn't expect anything soon.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
artao

Can't you put the track in Touch or Latch mode rather than Overdub, then just record the CC changes that way?
... or perhaps I'm misunderstanding here.
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by artao View Post
Can't you put the track in Touch or Latch mode rather than Overdub, then just record the CC changes that way?
... or perhaps I'm misunderstanding here.
I thought this, too!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
Dstruct

Doesn't work either.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
dea-man

I also thought you'd have to have the modwheel selected in Reaper's envelope's.

Maybe I am thinking of a VSTi rather than a hardware synth.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
J Reverb

....?
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
dea-man

.....!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #20
panicaftermath

I just create a new track, make it a child of the track with the MIDI notes, and record and edit CC on that track independent of the notes. The new CC items will play through the parent's VSTi, and can later be glued into the notes, or kept separate on a lane of the main track.

Even when overdubbing notes and not CC, it can be more convenient to have a separate child track than have to keep tabs on the record mode of the parent. Or so I find it.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #21
SpaceGoose

Default Coming from Ableton, loving reaper...

But, I hope this is solved soon. Because in Ableton, this is very simple and does not interrupt a state of flow. You record the midi and then you can go back as much as you want with mod wheel or knobs to add expression. It is wonderful. So +1 vote for this feature.

Update:
Solved. Just change the "In" of the track to Midi Record Overdub. Then hit record and adjust your mod wheel and it will record that adjustment to the existing midi track. If you need to make any edits to that automation, just open piano roll and in the velocity section change the setting to the mod wheel or any other setting you want to automate. Still learning, but this is great! Loving this program so much. So fast, so fun.

Also, the above mentioned practice of creating a new midi track and recording the mod wheel on that is really powerful too! You can have that mod wheel feed into any other midi track!

Last edited by SpaceGoose; 08-17-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Learned new stuff!
SpaceGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #22
bigcatJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicaftermath View Post
I just create a new track, make it a child of the track with the MIDI notes, and record and edit CC on that track independent of the notes. The new CC items will play through the parent's VSTi, and can later be glued into the notes, or kept separate on a lane of the main track.

Even when overdubbing notes and not CC, it can be more convenient to have a separate child track than have to keep tabs on the record mode of the parent. Or so I find it.
This! Thank you panic! You just made my work soooo much easier!

Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
bigcatJC is offline   Reply With Quote