Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
heda
Human being with feelings

Default Script: HeDa Loudness Graph VIP

HeDa Loudness Graph 2.0
  • EBUR128 Loudness meters and timeline graphs for each track you want.
  • EBU mode compatible. Different scales. EBU+9, EBU+18 and customizable LUFS.
  • RMS, and Loudness Panning graphs.
  • Compare graph to reference graph. Useful to compare or match loudness after inserting plugins
  • Customizable Reference levels. -23 and -14 by default.
  • REAPER Integration: Insert Regions or markers when Loudness is over a specific reference level.
  • REAPER integration: View REAPER Regions areas in graph.
  • REAPER Integration: Dock and Link Graph zoom to REAPER timeline zoom

The graph is linked to the REAPER timeline, so it is easy to rewind and update the graph and re-analyze

Download and install it using HeDaScripts Manager

Last edited by heda; 03-25-2017 at 05:17 PM.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
spk77

Looking very nice already!
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
X-Raym

This is really impressive. You just brought reascript to another level

Ok I have a suggestion related on how I like to use RMS visualization.
What I love is RMS over time type of graph. Just like in FabFilter pro-L or TB EBU loudness metter.
In post production, I have one of this on every group channel: voices, musics, ambiances... They are great, but they missed some basic customization (as.scroll speed, vertical scale and interface size).
You may have the core for a really powerful tool : multi tracks RMS over time visualization. (With each different choosen tracks sharing the same graph, but not the same curve).
RMS over time is also useful in music mastering !
I don't know if is possible, I don't know how close to your script it could be, but I wanted to share with you with idea... :P

Before that, I used a RMS graph js plugin that could be used direcly in mcp and tcp (it displays rms next to peak, using channel 3-4), but your script will be more useful, as I Like big visualization metters scripts.

Congrats again heda ! You're an inspiration for us all

Last edited by X-Raym; 05-05-2015 at 05:39 AM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
vanhaze

This is really awesome, muchos gracias !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #5
heda

Thank you everybody
@X-Raym: Yes I want to do a loudness over time graph too, with one line for each track, with the color of the track for the lines too. It should be possible to hide/show specific tracks for the graph. But instead of a scrolling graph I have an idea of a fixed width of the script window to be the entire song length. So you will be updating the loudness of a part, while keeping all the rest of the graph intact. A button to clear all graph would be good too in case you change overall track volume. But that could be handy if you only change the volume of an item.
I will keep you all updated with the progress.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
X-Raym

Refreshing after play js a nice idea :-)
I don,t think it would be possible but if we can zoom on the graph it would be nice. Imagine you have a 2 hours movie to master and only a small screen to watch your graph... it wouldnt be easily readable if it last the whole project.
That's why a fixed time window may be required for certain cases, just as long projects, small screens and precise mixing.

Anyway, your tool is already a great one. A vertical scale zoom or the possibility to set our custom min, max, desired value and steps values, even it requires editing the script by the user would be perfect.

Can't wait to hear news about the developpement of this very promising project !
Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
n0ne

that is really cool! What I dream future DAWs will look like seems to be getting closer Nice job!
n0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What about following variation: One screen width for 1 minute of audio. If your song is 60 minutes, or 3 minutes, they would be still comparable, the longer song would have only more screens to look at. This would be my design choice. Squeezing everything into one screen, no matter how long, does not make much sense, if used as described above.

Thanks for your great work!
Yes. I like to zoom in and out with the mouse wheel as it is now, but certainly, using a fixed zoom could be an option too.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
kindafishy

This looks like very advanced and creative use of REAPER's new scripting capabilities. Most impressive.

What is a practical application for this? I am not at all being disingenuous here, I would really like to know.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
What is a practical application for this? I am not at all being disingenuous here, I would really like to know.
Well, for me it is really helping while mixing. I setup each group with a track analysis bus and then I can visually confirm the loudness of them relative to each other. It helps also training your ear for loudness if used constantly as a visual reference. It helps also to quickly spot something that is really low volume and you forgot it was there in the mix...
Then for film and post production, or broadcast industry, it is mandatory to always check loudness levels so it is a good tool to have it running too while working and correct things before anything.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #11
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Well, for me it is really helping while mixing. I setup each group with a track analysis bus and then I can visually confirm the loudness of them relative to each other. It helps also training your ear for loudness if used constantly as a visual reference. It helps also to quickly spot something that is really low volume and you forgot it was there in the mix...
Then for film and post production, or broadcast industry, it is mandatory to always check loudness levels so it is a good tool to have it running too while working and correct things before anything.
Thanks. I can see how useful this would be.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
hopi

ah ha... thanks Heda... I feel better now by far.... my confusion is lifting
Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
hopi

ummm just got and trying pre 17

not understanding something that happens...

I am using only regions for the overs... OK

so if I db clk a region in the graph, it makes a time selection in the arrange window... but it is not exactly the time selection I would expect...

I'll try to explain: the time selection is most often larger than the region in the the arrange window... now, if instead of doing the db clk in the graph, I do it on the region in the arrange window, I do get the expected result.

anyone else seeing this???

Also some thoughts and questions:

I wanted to make a custom action that would do this:

Make time selection of region under the mouse
create 4 points in the envelope of that time selection [vol. env]
go to next region

... and with a hot key, be able to just run that until there are points in the env. for every region... so that I could just go back to the env. and drag the line between the points down to reduce the vol. at each Over's region.

However I do not find actions that will do this... perhaps another 'cousin' script would do it????

I await your suggestions.... thanks so much
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #14
X-Raym

@heda
Quote:
+ Button to refresh track's names and colors
Thanks for this
Nice work !

EDIT : have you consider outout overs as text items.on last touchd track (or on a rrack called overs) to be used with your brilliant crzate markers and regions from items notes script ?

Last edited by X-Raym; 07-06-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
heda

Yes X-Raym. I think I mentioned it here or in the patreon posts. Don't remember. Some code is already there for this.. for example if you create the track as "Overs Regions 100" it will pick the 100 number as starting idx number for the markers. or whatever number you put in there. Set it as a high enough number to avoid conflict with other existing regions or markers you may have. By default is 1000. But with this track you can customize it to whatever number you need. Next is to create the empty items in that track.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 AM   #16
X-Raym

@TonE
I don't think it will be relevant as this script is track oriented.
We use busses to analyses post fx post fader track, not items loudness. There is SWS actions for that.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #17
ADDIKTION

Default Awesome

That's awesome Heda really! That's why we love REAPER.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 AM   #18
heda

Hello everybody.
I'm sorry for the lack of updates.
I've been some months without being able to find time for scripting, but now I'm back. This script is almost ready to be finished very soon. Cheers.