Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #201
Stringer
Human being with feelings
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of California
Posts: 545
Default Microsoft is finally starting to backtrack

For the past several weeks, Microsoft has had almost no response to the furor about privacy and sneaky updates. The silence has been deafening. But apparently, they are finally starting to react, at least to Enterprise customers:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...pdates-u-turn/

This quote is of interest:

Notably in January the very same Jim Alkove openly stated that Microsoft saw home users akin to guinea pigs for the betterment of Enterprise customers:

“By the time Current branch for Business machines are updated, the changes will have been validated by millions of Insiders, consumers and customers’ internal test processes for several months, allowing updates to be deployed with this increased assurance of validation,” explained Alkove in a Windows blog post.
__________________
One thing led to another and somehow I ended up on Linux.
https://guitarsophist.com/
Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #202
cyrano
Human being with feelings
 
cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
Says who?
The DNS registry states MM owns the ip address.

You do know how dig or whois works, I hope?
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #203
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The DNS registry states MM owns the ip address.

You do know how dig or whois works, I hope?
Owns which IP address? And where can I find the evidence information is sent directly there from a fresh, non changed Windows 10 install?

I mean, My WIN10 install has no IP addresses listed in the network monitoring tools I use that link to MM so I'm curious how you determined this to be fact (as you claim it is).
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:46 AM   #204
CrimsonFlak
Human being with feelings
 
CrimsonFlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,219
Default

Another company adding software to the mix;

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10.

Seeing the bunch of incomplete or broken scripts to disable tracking in Windows 10, and the tools that install adware or worse in exchange for their function, we wrapped disabling tracking up in a small tool that's free and clean. Might or might not become part of the next Spybot, since it's similar to immunization, but it's needed now, and it's still work in progress as more and more information evolves.


Interesting that it might become part of Spybot. Note that its a work in progress.

https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...for-Windows-10
CrimsonFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 AM   #205
cyrano
Human being with feelings
 
cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
Owns which IP address? And where can I find the evidence information is sent directly there from a fresh, non changed Windows 10 install?

I mean, My WIN10 install has no IP addresses listed in the network monitoring tools I use that link to MM so I'm curious how you determined this to be fact (as you claim it is).
I(ve already written all of this. Why don't you read it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
See a previous post.

It's going to MarkMonitor. And since it is encrypted, and I have no idea what what kind of algorithm, I'm gonna pass...

And that's not from a blog. I got the ip's from that Tsjech blog and happened to have a Win10 vm with logging running. Within a couple of hours, these ip's showed up. The ip owners try to hide behind privacy guards for dns records. It took a bit of effort to find out whom the ip belonged to.

That's just the one example I followed up. The blog posting was correct even if I didn't check all of them.

If you check OSX, you'll find out that it sends data to non-Apple servers too. Nike, f.i. And hundreds of Apple servers. But not to ad agencies or industry intrest groups.

And if you check the SSL certificate hiding, it's almost the same too.
It's very annoying having to repost these things. You seem the only one here that has no memory. And you keep defending MS without any arguments at all.

I don't think I'll be answering such silly questions in the future, Paul...
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #206
reapercurious
Human being with feelings
 
reapercurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,665
Default

PC stands for "pre clear" and when you join Apple, it's considered 'going clear' and the process has been hidden from most of us. Even if someone posts it on the internet for all to see, nobody will believe it, because it is securely masked under the category of a 'conspiracy theory.'

The computer industry has been governed behind the scenes by L.Ron all this time, and this is where all ur information is belong to.
__________________
thanks!
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #207
Bjorn218
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 305
Default

A HUGE F.U> to Microsoft on this one.

I just NOW got my downgraded computer back online after almost a week and a half. This was just a download of Win 10 that killed my system.

While this was downloading I was updating another program that did not require any rebooting or anything(open office update). The windows 10 download decided to reboot as soon as it was done, during the middle of the other program updating itself. I was not upgrading to 10, just downloading my copy to get rid of the nag icon.

On reboot, all but my C drive was seen by windows but was there in BIOS. I had to re-authorize the partitions through CMD Diskpart. Figuring THAT out took a day and a half. As soon as I got all disks back up online, guess what ugly thing decided to start installing itself?

I am so glad I back my system up to the cloud daily, otherwise 8 months of recordings would have been gone for good. Stupid 10 tried reformatting my C drive corrupting the partition. So glad I had started moving importatnt files to the spare disks. I needed to completely redo my system with a totally fresh install. Darn windows updates were almost 600 of them took forever. That isn't including the ones that I have no use for like the ones resetting the Ruble, or the new Russian daylight savings time.

Back to Windows 7 and I wont be3 straying anytime soon.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #208
Stringer
Human being with feelings
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of California
Posts: 545
Default

There are pretty good instructions on the web for shrinking the windows partition and installing Linux in the extra space. Then you can dual boot and run Linux or Win 7. Linux Mint MATE looks a lot like Win XP. I run Win 7 for Reaper and for some stuff in MS Word. I do all my websurfing in Firefox on Linux Mint. It's safer and cooler.
__________________
One thing led to another and somehow I ended up on Linux.
https://guitarsophist.com/
Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #209
Aymara
Human being with feelings
 
Aymara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ruhr Area, Germany
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I do all my websurfing in Firefox on Linux Mint. It's safer and cooler.
It's definitely a good distro, that has everything preinstalled to be a good Windows alternative, especially because of the new Cinnamon desktop with it's "start menu". It has much more potential, than being just a surfing platform.
__________________
Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #210
sickamorz
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Philippines
Posts: 741
Default

I can't find a single reason to waste time on this software.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #211
Stringer
Human being with feelings
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of California
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
I can't find a single reason to waste time on this software.
Are you talking about Windows 10 or Linux Mint? I am having fun learning Linux. Today I got my printer working and installed a firewall. I haven't gotten to Wine and Reaper yet. I think the biggest problem will be drivers for my Steinberg UR44. I needed the command line to get my Brother laser printer working, but Linux Mint is very usable without adding or tweaking anything unless you have unusual hardware. LibreOffice is sort of like going back to Office pre-ribbon interface, which is less mousing around, in my experience.
__________________
One thing led to another and somehow I ended up on Linux.
https://guitarsophist.com/
Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #212
Aymara
Human being with feelings
 
Aymara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ruhr Area, Germany
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I am having fun learning Linux.
Because Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, the Ubuntu community and Wiki might be quite helpful, e.g. to learn more basics or something about Wine.
__________________
Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #213
CrimsonFlak
Human being with feelings
 
CrimsonFlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,219
Default

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29871...-tracking.html

'When it comes to the personalization data, which includes information like users' locations and interests, it's possible to shut off features to minimize its collection.

But even at its most locked down, Windows 10 still phones home to Microsoft with telemetry data including an anonymous device ID, information about the type of device that's being used and data from application crashes.'

'...the company will allow devices running Windows 10 Enterprise to opt out of all telemetry collection, with an update later this year.'

'Even though Windows 10 Enterprise was released in August, it's still awaiting key features Microsoft has promised, like Windows Update for Business.'
CrimsonFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:18 AM   #214
Aliumhunter
Human being with feelings
 
Aliumhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Default

I understand that some people here have looked into the privacy issues of Windows 10 a little more and I just had a little discussion with some friends about this topic.

While most of us were very upset about it, one of our buddys doesn't care what data is sent, because Microsoft claims that it's encrypted and anonymous anyways, he "has nothing to hide" and the data would just be used for software improvement and personalised advertisements anyhow.

We basically came to the conclusion that it depends on whether you believe Microsoft that the data really is innocuous and anonymous or not. I think Snowden's documents prove quite the opposite, as Microsoft was apparently one of the first companies to open their encryption to the NSA and what use would they get from anonymous and innocuous private information?

My question is, does anyone of you have a reliable source where someone was able to identify the contents of the data packages sent to Microsoft? People have proven that data is sent even when all official options are disabled and it can not be prevented by altering the hosts file, because the servers are whitelisted internally, but what do those packages actually contain? (I guess it's impossible to break the encryption to find out and there will probably be no official statement from Microsoft and you can't just take a look into the source code either...)
Aliumhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #215
Aymara
Human being with feelings
 
Aymara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ruhr Area, Germany
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliumhunter View Post
... but what do those packages actually contain?
Let me answer with a further question: What data is really collected now and which will they collect in the future?

Btw, where does MS claim, that the data is anonymized? I fear, it is personalized data, which is collected. Oh, and do you know, that most Win10 spyware already got implemented in Win7 & Win8 by Windows Updates?
__________________
Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #216
cyrano
Human being with feelings
 
cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,599
Default

Anonymisation doesn't work...

In a test 84% of anonymized data could be personalized, given enough data to cross-reference. The goal of the test was finding the real person behind the data.

With just date of birth and zipcode, 84% could already be identified correctly.

Big aggregators have data from several sources and will buy more if needed. Personalization is their goal. Nothing can stop them, except privacy protection on a very low level. The kind the EU has been trying to put together. But the counter offensive from the aggregators' industry has started. So you'll read that the EU wants to take away free speech. The EU can't take away what you don't have.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #217
Aymara
Human being with feelings
 
Aymara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ruhr Area, Germany
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Nothing can stop them, ...
Yeah, especially if noone cares or even tries.
__________________
Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.