Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Do you bring it live ?

Just a comment on what I expect out of a live show. I want great musicianship but I also want the band to engage me and act like they are as excited to be there as I am. I remember living in Atlanta in the 80's and having multiple amazing concert venues a block away from my house. I remember walking out on a number of bands because they bored me.

Grateful Dead......kept tuning up forever between songs....walked out.
Fleetwood Mac.....looked very unhappy to be there....walked out
I'd go across the street and see Pat Benatar or Mother's Finest who brought it.

So if you have to look at your fingers all the time to play guitar then make the solos simpler so you can look at the audience.

Then I see bands like Foreigner who blow me away with stage presence and crowd connection. This is what a concert should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btco27B-gp0

I you are gonna sit like a bump not even playing anything I will leave. Here is an example of how to bore me.

https://youtu.be/NLJfBo1lLto?t=124
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
foxAsteria

I usually close my eyes, listen and dance. Don't care what the band is doing or wearing or how many lazer beams they brought.

Then there are bands who are pure theatrics and the music sucks because it's secondary. I'll watch them of course because that's all they got.

Then there's a whole genre called "Shoegaze," you know. The name is quite literal. All about the sound.

Man, I can't believe you walked out on Fleetwood Mac...there was a lot of drama in that band. Imagine your wife is leaving you for someone else in your band (and this is also happening with another couple in the same band!) and in the midst of that you all still manage to spend most of your time together in the studio crafting some of the best music in history. I think it's pretty forgivable if they didn't always bring it live.

Grateful Dead OTOH...yea it's pretty hard to hear if you're in tune when you're high all the time. I think that just like the drug culture of today's clubs, it's more about the drugs than anything else.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
karbomusic

Both and I respect both.

I was just telling someone the other day that as much as I like playing live, I've developed a distaste for the party band atmosphere. I can do that, I have videos of me doing everything but turning somersaults yet... I have as much love for a venue where everyone sits down, shuts the fuck up, and listens to the presentation - there is SO much subtlety and wonderfully sonic minutia lost in the jump up and down party gigs.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Glennbo

The band I played in back in the 80s did Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, and other 60s music. We put on a big deal show every time and brought out big trusses with computerized lights that I ran via foot pedal, plus every correct instrument for every song we played including things like Vox Continental organs, Hammonds, Leslies, Gretsch Chet Atkins "Country Gentleman", Hofner bass, Rickenbacker 360-12 and 360-6 stings, Vox amps, Coral electric sitar, genuine East Indian sitar, orchestral bells, and on and on and on.

We took a LONG time between songs, but it wasn't because we were dicking around. It was because we had to switch to the correct instrument setup for the particular song. We did however try to arrange set lists to make the switching as minimal as possible.

We had enough of a following that we were the house band at two clubs (one on Wednesdays and the other on Fri-Sat) so I had two sets of drums and kept a kit onsite at each location. It was not unusual for it to be standing room only and max legal capacity with a line going around the club of people waiting to get in.

Wish I could put up some audio clips, but they are all copyrighted big hits and I don't want to take the chance of pissing off the guys who give me free premium hosting. The two main vocalists in the band could harmonize and sound just like Lennon & McCartney.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Grateful Dead OTOH...yea it's pretty hard to hear if you're in tune when you're high all the time. I think that just like the drug culture of today's clubs, it's more about the drugs than anything else.
Though I am NOT a dead fan, they had one of the most pristine, complex audio systems ever used - they also promoted, encouraged and allowed fans to record their shows and share.

Again, I'm not a fan, but I do get the idea that it is something one gets or they don't regardless of drugs - conversely if someone likes the buzz a nice glass of wine and engaging conversation with someone over dinner, then it's as valid to smoke a joint and get off on music.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Glennbo

OK, this ought to be considered fair use. This is my band from the 80s at the club in the picture, performing live this Beach Boys song.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13931625
Old 10-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
foxAsteria

@karbo - Heheh, wasn't disparaging the use of intoxicants, mind you...but if you've ever tried to stand sober in a crowd of drugged out people for 5 straight hours...and this is typical of jam bands like The Dead...well you might see where I'm coming from in saying that the intoxication is as big a factor as the "show" or even the music...
Old 10-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
@karbo - Heheh, wasn't disparaging the use of intoxicants, mind you...but if you've ever tried to stand sober in a crowd of drugged out people for 5 straight hours...and this is typical of jam bands like The Dead...well you might see where I'm coming from in saying that the intoxication is as big a factor as the "show" or even the music...
Yea, I'm with ya, like I also hinted, I couldn't be more sick of drunk people at shows I play or drunk people in general. I don't drink or smoke at shows, pretty much ever, so with nearly every other person in the building drinking, my patience wanes and it's terribly farking annoying - at least I'm on the stage and they can't typically fall on me.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
serr

Really can't stand the Grateful Dead. It wasn't the between song tuning either... I absolutely love Pink Floyd and they were WAY worse with extended between song tuning! (Shockingly so by today's production standards actually. 10 or 15 minutes sometimes wasn't uncommon. But then they deliver 30 - 40 minute pieces of music. Mixed in surround sound.)

The comment about bringin' it really resonates though. With ya 100% on that! I'm more into the sit down and listen kind of things too but that attitude needs to be there for any genre.

It's why I almost prefer live music a lot of the time in fact. Maybe another question could be: Do you bring it in the studio like you do live?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
at least I'm on the stage and they can't typically fall on me.
No but they can still puke on your pedalboard. I jumped in a mosh once where some dude thought it would be a good place to enjoy a pint of Guinness. Instead he dumped it straight into my eye.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
OK, this ought to be considered fair use. This is my band from the 80s at the club in the picture, performing live this Beach Boys song.

Nice job and good harmonies!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
Coachz

I remember after Jerry Garcia died and I was at a Jethro Tull concert and all of the deadheads had nowhere to go so they showed up at the Jethro Tull concert. I remember them dancing even in between songs when there was absolutely no music playing. Talk about having your own song going on. Hahaha
Old 10-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
nait

I don't perform live, but I've seen a lot of live bands (rock and thrash metal, mainly) over the years. I think the best performers I'd seen were probably the Foo Fighters, which may or may not sound odd. They may not compose symphonies, but they brought it... oodles of energy. Dave Grohl is a pretty good showman, funny, and gets the crowd into it, as is/does Taylor Hawkins.

Seen some pretty terrible ones too where basically they might as well have just hit play on a CD and stood on the stage (which may have actually happened at one or two).

I don't know if I've ever seen a concert I didn't enjoy though.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Nice job and good harmonies!
Thanks Coachz. That was the funnest band I've played in ever, although the nucleus which was me and the two primary vocalists on bass and guitar had toured for almost 7 years in the 70s and early 80s backing up a country guy who had been the opening act for Conway Twitty and had four gold records of his own.

The country guy was also a fantastic vocalist and we made him work up stuff like the Eagles and other country rock music that we liked a lot better than the real country stuff. Shortly after coming off tour we created the band in the clip I posted and then played locally for the next 5 years.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
Dr Bob

Some bands are very generous - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown allowed people to plug into their FOH mixer and record the gig for themselves!

One band I was with played Canterbury scene influenced stuff, e.g. Caravan, Soft Machine etc! Not really stuff people danced to at all, and I guess was somewhat indulgent, but we did have a following! If you want people to NOT dance play in 7/8 or 15/16!

The other band did disco/ska/blues/party music - and everyone was up and dancing all the time. The lead singer left the UK to manage Forbidden Planet in NY, and went on to form the Toasters and is still touring as we speak! Ska lovers will know who they are!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I don't perform live, but I've seen a lot of live bands (rock and thrash metal, mainly) over the years. I think the best performers I'd seen were probably the Foo Fighters, which may or may not sound odd. They may not compose symphonies, but they brought it... oodles of energy. Dave Grohl is a pretty good showman, funny, and gets the crowd into it, as is/does Taylor Hawkins.

Seen some pretty terrible ones too where basically they might as well have just hit play on a CD and stood on the stage (which may have actually happened at one or two).

I don't know if I've ever seen a concert I didn't enjoy though.
I saw Van Halen play live at an all day outdoor concert who I didn't think I liked until I saw them live. I had gone mainly to see the Doobie Brothers, but Sammy Hagar with his band, Pat Benetar, Van Halen with David Lee Roth, and some other bands I can't remember were there.

Anyway, Eddie Van Halen was running around the stage the whole time he was playing, and would do stuff like run up to the top of the giant stack of PA cabinets, while playing the whole time. I ended up liking their show better than the Doobies just for the massive amount of energy they exerted. Had I only heard them and not seen them, I would have probably liked the Doobies better.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #17
Aux13

2 years ago I enjoyed very much in this concert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFLA7KSojc
It was in Monza not Milan.
Aux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux13 View Post
2 years ago I enjoyed very much in this concert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFLA7KSojc
It was in Monza not Milan.
Radiohead is great!

My kid turned me onto Thom Yorke a few years ago.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
nait

Quote:
I saw Van Halen play live at an all day outdoor concert who I didn't think I liked until I saw them live. I had gone mainly to see the Doobie Brothers, but Sammy Hagar with his band, Pat Benetar, Van Halen with David Lee Roth, and some other bands I can't remember were there.

Anyway, Eddie Van Halen was running around the stage the whole time he was playing, and would do stuff like run up to the top of the giant stack of PA cabinets, while playing the whole time. I ended up liking their show better than the Doobies just for the massive amount of energy they exerted. Had I only heard them and not seen them, I would have probably liked the Doobies better.
I really wish I would have seen Van Halen in their prime. I had a chance back in the 80s, but I was like 13 or so at the time (44 now), and didn't get the parents approval... and I was too good of a kid to go against their wishes. haha But that's one band I wanted to really see in their prime, as I love VH... at least David Lee Roth's VH.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I really wish I would have seen Van Halen in their prime. I had a chance back in the 80s, but I was like 13 or so at the time (44 now), and didn't get the parents approval... and I was too good of a kid to go against their wishes. haha But that's one band I wanted to really see in their prime, as I love VH... at least David Lee Roth's VH.
The Van Halen band was on fire at that show and I was glad I got to see them, even though from their radio hits I wasn't a fan.

You mentioned Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins earlier. I know a lot of folks don't like Dave for whatever reasons, but I think those guys are great and like a lot of their songs.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #21
Jeffsounds

If you define "bringing it" as jumping and running all over the stage and playing kick ass music then I can understand your point. But being a musician and moreover, a guitarist, I consider playing ability over presence. Take your everyday, high-priced, cover band like the Eagles. When it was the REAL Eagles, Felder and Walsh weren't allowed to move much from the spot they were given on stage and were told not to make any "moves" just stand there and play and don't do anything to upstage Henley and Frey. Still a pretty good show if you ask me. Seeing Kansas live with the original band was also pretty good IMHO, and the only one who really moved around on the stage was Steve Walsh.

Now, I'll go along that the Sheryl Crow song exampled above was probably dampened more by Stapleton's presence than anything else but honestly, who would be running around the stage and jumping around to THAT song?

Glennbo, good job on the Beach Boys!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
Judders

Quote:
You mentioned Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins earlier. I know a lot of folks don't like Dave for whatever reasons, but I think those guys are great and like a lot of their songs.
I've seen them twice at festivals. Once in 1998 when they were a pretty good rock band, and again in 2017 when I was personally put off by the gum-chewing stadium rock schtick. Doesn't help that I haven't heard a song of theirs that I like since the first album or two.

I'm obviously in the minority though, as the crowd loved it. My favourite performance of that festival was Radiohead, who you couldn't really even see as it was mostly lights and projections, pretty much zero audience interaction, lots of people left because seeing a band is more important than hearing them. I loved it though!

Buzz Osbourne, of the Melvins, doing his solo acoustic set is probably my pick for the most entertaining audience engagement. Not rock star at all, more like a standup.

Stage presence is a funny thing though. At one Glastonbury Festival (I worked there from 2003 to 2017) I saw Neil Diamond followed by Leonard Cohen. Neil Diamond brought the pizazz and energy so I was expecting Leonard Cohen to be a downer afterwards, but instead I found that he had twice the charismatic power, while looking like he wasn't trying at all.
Judders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
But being a musician and moreover, a guitarist, I consider playing ability over presence.
Depends on the vibe of the band, really.

I wouldn't expect a bassoonist to smash up his instrument and stage dive half way through a Bach concerto while the conductor asked the audience if they were having a good time (though I would pay to see that).
Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
nait

Quote:
The Van Halen band was on fire at that show and I was glad I got to see them, even though from their radio hits I wasn't a fan.

Yeah, my experience with Foo Fighters was probably similar to yours with VH. I didn't really think much of Foo Fighters.. they were a decent band with catchy tunes, but to see them connect so well with the audience, and the energy they had, that was great. I do think Grohl is a funny and interesting personality, so I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't like the guy though. Seems pretty grounded, in spite of the fame, which is easy to like.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #25
cyrano

Anyone ever experienced Dr. Feelgood?
Old 10-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #26
zeekat

I regret not becoming hardcore punk fan when it was still time. I watch current hardcore shows on youtube once in a while and it looks like such a great time. No security, dozens audience members contantly entering and leaving the stage (often by sommersault), bassist vanishing in the audience in hard to notice moment and being replaced by some rando, entire room shouting along the choruses, it's brilliant.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #27
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Anyone ever experienced Dr. Feelgood?
I've seen the Crue a couple of times and those guys know how to work a crowd. The first time was in the late 90s-ish when their star was pretty faded; they were opening for Megadeth as I recall (or maybe the other way 'round, the horror) and they had Samantha Maloney drumming. Vince was doing the whole call and response thing with the crowd and working them up, and I remember being impressed with how fun the whole thing was. The songs by Motley Crue that I like, I like, and the ones I don't, are fucking trash IMO, so it was interesting to see how the stage presence made up for when they played a crap song.

I saw them again, maybe 2005, and they were as good, although Mick Mars' condition prevented him from moving around much. Poor bastard. His playing was definitely one of the reasons I picked up guitar in 9th grade. They also had some kind of "audience-participation-solo" thing. Those were unremarkable except for Nikki Sixx, who had a water bottle thrown in his general direction and proceeded to chew out the girl who apparently threw it and got her escorted out. Pretty bad spoiled brat rockstar behavior IMO.

ANYWAY, good shows in general.

Valient Thorr put on one of my favorite shows ever, but I think it's easier to build a connection with the audience in a smaller club. They did a good job of playing well and sounding good while also displaying how they were "feeling it".
Reason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #28
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
I've seen the Crue a couple of times...
I presumed he was talking about the British band, not the Motley Crue album.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #29
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post

Those guys are popping!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #30
Dr Bob

I saw the Who with Pete Townsend doing his smash the guitar on stage and kick the sh*t out of his amp and speakers!

He also set about the lighting rig we had set up for his gig!!! Roger did the swing the mic out over the audiences heads! So much duct tape around the mic and cable! Don't know how he never smashed someone's head with that Shure mic! Magic Bus time … plus all the greatest stuff as well! They were superb! In a small college dining room!

Also saw Pink Floyd in a small dining room, with a pair of Revoxes on stage - sadly at that time they were a little boring (honest!), but became a fan soon after ...

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #31
Reason

Quote:

DOH!

Well, beans.
Reason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #32
cyrano

Quote:
Yep.

Wasn't aware the Motley Crue had an album by that name.

I once organised a Dr. Feelgood concert. Almost 40 years ago. In the contract it was stipulated they needed one bottle of coke, one water, one orange juice, one Scotch, one vodka, one gin, one case of light beer and one case of dark beer.

Per person...

It was all gone after the concert, except for the emptied beer cases. I suppose they took the rest of the booze with them in the scrummy pink Ford Transit that was their transport.

The venue had a ceiling height of 2,5 m. The sweat was dripping from the walls. I'll never forget the energy. I hear these guys are still cruising the pub circuit in the UK?
Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #33
TabbyCat

Quote:
In the contract it was stipulated they needed one bottle of coke, one water, one orange juice, one Scotch, one vodka, one gin, one case of light beer and one case of dark beer.

Per person...

It was all gone after the concert, except for the emptied beer cases. I suppose they took the rest of the booze with them in the scrummy pink Ford Transit that was their transport.
I love this post so much
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #34
foxAsteria

Quote:
Wow, so you guys actually fulfilled the rider? We would always just read them and laugh. I always thought they were an ongoing industry joke due to the frequency of absurd requests. Like "yea, sorry I couldn't score that vegan guacamole or eight ball you wanted, but here's a pizza and some beer."
Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #35
Glennbo

Quote:
Wow, so you guys actually fulfilled the rider? We would always just read them and laugh. I always thought they were an ongoing industry joke due to the frequency of absurd requests. Like "yea, sorry I couldn't score that vegan guacamole or eight ball you wanted, but here's a pizza and some beer."
We played at the convention center downtown many moons ago and the guy setting us up mentioned that Van Halen had played there the week before and had requested big bowls of M&Ms with all the brown ones removed. Years later I found out that they really did do that but not to be assholes. They did it to see if the people hosting their show read the requirements that really mattered, like drum risers that could support the weight of Alex Van Halen's drum kit, or the electrical requirements to power all their gear. They knew if they saw brown M&Ms that there were going to be bigger problems.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #36
foxAsteria

Hmm, I'd always associated the brown M&M's story with GnR.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #37
numberthirty

Whenever I hear folks talk about that they've seen bands "Bring It", I just have a laugh to myself and wonder if they've ever seen Gaza Strippers.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #38
cyrano

Quote:
Yeah, sure.

Just like vegetarian food for Queen. I hired one of the best veggie restaurants' chef to do the catering. The band loved it.

I couldn't get a Cadillac from the wrecker yard for the Plasmatics, tho. Not many of those around, this side of the pond. Besides, it couldn't fit through the stage backdoor. They had to do with a color TV to smash onstage...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #39
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yeah, sure.

Just like vegetarian food for Queen.
Oh, ok, well that's a little different... We sure booked some big egos, but our capacity was about 500 lil peeps, so no stadium acts anyone has heard of... I surely would've taken Queen's rider a bit more seriously than Steely Dan Cover Band X...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #40
cyrano

Queen were professionals, of course. The only thing we had trouble with, was that they specified a white grand piano. Plenty of black ones for rent, but no white one. We had to paint one white. Wasn't cheap...

That's also the one large scale gig we did. Made a bundle, but realised the risk was too big for us.

Most of the other stuff we did, was in a venue that was a university auditorium, called "Q". The building went from 500 seats to 1200 seats (IIRC) with three revolving parts. We did Gary Numan, The Blues Band and some others there. Then there was the basement, with a 250 people capacity, where we mainly did parties and local punk bands, like Red Zebra, The Employees, or The Kids. Less money, much more fun...