Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #321
DeyBwah
Human being with feelings

Question: In everyone's Control Surface Settings window, where you pick the Control surface mode, MIDI input and output... what does your MIDI input and output read?

Mine reads, MCU Pro USB v3.1

Is that right?
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #322
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Also, is there a way to make it so the db reading has precedence over the VU on the MCU display when adjusting the fader? Right now, when I adjust a fader and the session is playing back, it shows the VU activity over the db reading.
It's important that you touch the fader in a way, that the fader does recognize this and send a "touched" event to the extension. So you must touch the fader in the middle, not at the top or bottom.

Btw.: I have a MCU Pro v3.0 (and don't find a 3.1 update on the Mackie Webpage). Not sure if this can make a difference.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #323
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Had a quick question, what happens after marker 8? Is there a way to continue to 9-16?
Sorry, i forgot to answer your question. You can access only the first 8 marker. You can use the MarkerList from the SWS extension to switch between different marker sets, maybe this could be a solution/workaround for you?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #324
DeyBwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
It's important that you touch the fader in a way, that the fader does recognize this and send a "touched" event to the extension. So you must touch the fader in the middle, not at the top or bottom.

Btw.: I have a MCU Pro v3.0 (and don't find a 3.1 update on the Mackie Webpage). Not sure if this can make a difference.
Thanks Klinke, are you on MCU Pro or original?

You're on v3.0... how do I roll back my version to that? What is everyone else using for their MCU Pro? This seems fruitful to investigate.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #325
DeyBwah

Quote:
Sorry, i forgot to answer your question. You can access only the first 8 marker. You can use the MarkerList from the SWS extension to switch between different marker sets, maybe this could be a solution/workaround for you?
So you mean, I can assign a hotkey on my MCU Pro to switch to the next 8 markers and the F keys will respond accordingly?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #326
Klinke

You can assign save and load marker set to a hotkey, but both actions will open a dialog, one for entering the name of the marker set (when you save it), and one for selecting the a marker set to load. But this can be done via the cursor keys and enter, so the workflow would be to press the "load marker" hotkey, select the correct marker set with the cursor keys and press enter.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #327
BenK-msx

hi Mr Klinke -

i've just got the ac-7 core mini app for iphone/pod http://www.saitarasoftware.com/Site/Home.html going on my main system, which emulates MCU - and I am using your excellent mod with it in reaper.

I don't know how much you know about it and so to save laborious descriptions i did a little vid (hi-qual) showing all the screens and layout etc. of it on ipod (as it differs from ipad) as i quickly discovered that i couldn't do certain functions you've added since for example the shift/alt etc. buttons are on a seperate page from the jog wheel, so i can't physically do a 'shift-jog' etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5S_ZepJaY

i figured that by taking a quick look at the vid you would know instantly what various functions would be affected by its particular layout quirks, as i neither have an mcu or have indepth knowledge of your super mod yet!

i was hoping you could maybe advise on what you think was possible or not, and perhaps in future provide some means/ideas for workarounds for things such as getting the param names of plugs to display their names correctly (i need to work with it a bit more before i have the right questions on that..)
but then at least i can gain an idea of what FRS to make to the author of ac-7 to get it working sweet with reaper ( i guess an update is due soon as ipad has been updated on 2nd feb), and its on your radar also. thanks very much

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-04-2011 at 12:21 PM.
BenK-msx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #328
Cojomo

Hi, I'm working on the AC-7 Core Mini update right now and it should be released in a couple of weeks.
I'm also interested in what I can add to make it easier to work with.

Obviously, not everything is possible with such a small screen... but Shift, Alt etc. could be "Latched" instead of "Momentary"... would this make a big difference?
Cojomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #329
Klinke

You can enable the BCF2000 mode option in the Control Surface Preferences, this will allow you to use the modifier keys of your keyboard. From the manual:

- BCF2000 mode: This option combine different changes:
= Don't show the level-meters in the Pan-Mode, show always the dB values instead (the bcfview Application doesn't support the level-meters protocol, so for BCF users it's useful to turn this option on).
= The Behringer BCF doesn't have an OPTION/CONTROL and ALT-modifier button. When this option is turned on, the keyboard modifier can be used instead. The left Alt-key substitute the ALT-button, the right Alt-key the OPTION-button.
= The BCF2000 doesn't have fader touch sensitive faders, so after a fader movement the extension simulate that the fader is touched for additional 2 seconds.

But the "don't show level-meters" and the "changed touch sensitivity" behauviour is an disadvantage. So i have just decided to split these options in the next update.

And i have checked the YouTube video (and also the manual), i don't see other button-combinations that are needed and can't be done with this layout.

Best,
Klinke
Old 02-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #330
BenK-msx

Thanks alot for the consideration, suggestions and tweaks klinke, and to Cojomo for trying to keep the updates coming to, much appreciated..

i'll try to come back soon with some proper personal feedback after some session use on ac-7, up till now have been just 'playing with it' and getting it going.

theres no reason why this can't be an 'every day' useful combination for recording/tracking and in live-use for adjustment of levels etc. maybe one day different layouts (like reaper 4!) could be achievable for differing use cases? so the best use of the little screen is made depending on users need. not easy though i guess....

ok i see the mini version less likely to be used for full-on mixing due to the size, but the feedback aspect and portability is very handy.

anyway this is the mcu mod thread so won't go on, thanks again will for sure try bcf mode.
BenK-msx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #331
YILA

Hi I've installed this but the screen is all screwed up and showing junk.

any ideas?

Cheers

Ally
YILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #332
Klinke

Can you give me some more information? What controller do you use? Do you mean the controller display or the computer screen? Does this problem also occur with the original MCU extension?

Best,
Klinke
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #333
YILA

Hi

It's the newest version of the MCU Pro. Firmware 4. I'm connecting via USB.

It's been working fine all day with the standard reaper control. It did happen once but it happens every time with your version..

The screen of the Mackie, all the text and characters are jumbled up.
YILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #334
DeyBwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YILA View Post
Hi

It's been working fine all day with the standard reaper control. It did happen once but it happens every time with your version..

This is what I've been experiencing... Please chime in on this thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74487

I'm trying to reach out to the Cockos devs to look into the control surface implementation.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #335
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by YILA View Post
Hi

Can you please test the following:
- Restart Reaper after you have configured the MIDI input and output in the Control Surface Setting (and don't open the Control Surface Settings after the restart).
- Switch the the SEND-mode (by pressing the SEND button in the VPOT ASSIGN section). Does the display still only show garbage?
- Connect the MCU Pro with MIDI and not via USB (check the MCU manual for details).

Thanks,
Klinke
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #336
DrFrankencopter

Klinke, I've been using your MCU surf with my MCU pro and extender with pretty good success. Thanks so much for all your effort.

I do have a ((simple) feature request if possible. I'd love to be able to double click the rewind button to return to zero time at the start of the project. My Ensoniq Paris system worked this way and it was great. Similarly, double clicking fast forward could bring you to the end of the project. I find control + rewind a little awkward...

Another feature for consideration from the Paris controller would be an implementation of a Next and Previous marker. As it stands we have the F1-F8 for markers, but in long projects you might have more markers than this. Perhaps a key could be set up in combination with the arrow keys to advance to the next or previous marker.

Probably I need to read the readme and get my hand dirty, but I was also wondering if there was a way to use the MCU pro to control just a subset of a plugin's parameters. If I make custom parameter maps, can I do this? I find there's only a few controls that I want to access via the surface, whereas the others make more sense via the GUI. I'd rather not have to page through banks of parameters.

Oh, and FWIW I get the garbled screen every now and then too. I'm on firmware version 4.1 MCU Pro, and the 64 bit version of Reaper + your Csurf.dll.

Cheers, and thanks again!!!

Kris
DrFrankencopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #337
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
I do have a ((simple) feature request if possible. I'd love to be able to double click the rewind button to return to zero time at the start of the project. My Ensoniq Paris system worked this way and it was great. Similarly, double clicking fast forward could bring you to the end of the project. I find control + rewind a little awkward...
Yes, sounds plausible. I will take a look at it.

Quote:
Another feature for consideration from the Paris controller would be an implementation of a Next and Previous marker. As it stands we have the F1-F8 for markers, but in long projects you might have more markers than this. Perhaps a key could be set up in combination with the arrow keys to advance to the next or previous marker.
That's already possible. You can press the MARKER button to use the REWIND and FFWD button for selected Marker/Regions:

- REWIND/FFWD: Previous/Next Marker (the same behavior as before in Normal Mode)
-- OPTION REWIND/FFWD: Previous/Next Region as Time Selection
-- ALT REWIND/FFWD: Previous/Next Region as Loop
-- SHIFT OPTION REWIND/FFWD: Swap Time Selection to left/right
-- CONTROL ALT REWIND/FFWD: Swap Loop to left/right

If you just want to select a different marker only once, but afterwards using the REWIND/FFWD buttons again for moving the Edit Cursor, just hold the MARKER button while pressing REWIND or FFWD, after releasing the MARKER button REWIND/FFWD will be assigned again to their default behauvior.

Quote:
Probably I need to read the readme and get my hand dirty, but I was also wondering if there was a way to use the MCU pro to control just a subset of a plugin's parameters. If I make custom parameter maps, can I do this? I find there's only a few controls that I want to access via the surface, whereas the others make more sense via the GUI. I'd rather not have to page through banks of parameters.
Yes, when you create an own parameter maps, you can select a subset of parameters. Press in the editor the Clean map button at the top and just assign the parameters that you want to control in this plugin.

Quote:
Oh, and FWIW I get the garbled screen every now and then too. I'm on firmware version 4.1 MCU Pro, and the 64 bit version of Reaper + your Csurf.dll.
This are really bad news :-( I will contact Mackie, maybe we find together a way to sort this out.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #338
DrFrankencopter

Quote:
Yes, sounds plausible. I will take a look at it.
Many thanks...again!

Quote:
That's already possible. You can press the MARKER button to use the REWIND and FFWD button for selected Marker/Regions:

- REWIND/FFWD: Previous/Next Marker (the same behavior as before in Normal Mode)
-- OPTION REWIND/FFWD: Previous/Next Region as Time Selection
-- ALT REWIND/FFWD: Previous/Next Region as Loop
-- SHIFT OPTION REWIND/FFWD: Swap Time Selection to left/right
-- CONTROL ALT REWIND/FFWD: Swap Loop to left/right

If you just want to select a different marker only once, but afterwards using the REWIND/FFWD buttons again for moving the Edit Cursor, just hold the MARKER button while pressing REWIND or FFWD, after releasing the MARKER button REWIND/FFWD will be assigned again to their default behauvior.

Yes, when you create an own parameter maps, you can select a subset of parameters. Press in the editor the Clean map button at the top and just assign the parameters that you want to control in this plugin.

Perfect...thanks for explaining that to me.

Quote:
This are really bad news :-( I will contact Mackie, maybe we find together a way to sort this out.
I'm willing to help out in any way. I can put Visual Studio on my studio PC if that will help...if there's debug symbols in the dll maybe I can target it. I'm a a bit of a hack C/C++ coder and a newb with Visual Studio though.

Oh, I'm connected via USB as well.

Cheers

Kris
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #339
Klinke

Quote:
I'm willing to help out in any way. I can put Visual Studio on my studio PC if that will help...if there's debug symbols in the dll maybe I can target it. I'm a a bit of a hack C/C++ coder and a newb with Visual Studio though.

Oh, I'm connected via USB as well.

Cheers

Kris
Thank you for your offer, but i expect that the problem exist in the communication between my extension and the hardware, so it's not likely that debugging the extension itself will help.

But can you please test what's happening when you connect the MCU via MIDI and not via USB?

Best,
Klinke
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #340
DrFrankencopter

Quote:
Thank you for your offer, but i expect that the problem exist in the communication between my extension and the hardware, so it's not likely that debugging the extension itself will help.

But can you please test what's happening when you connect the MCU via MIDI and not via USB?

Best,
Klinke
Okay...I'll give it a shot once I get some extra MIDI cables. Oh another thing I noticed is that the MCU is slower to respond to things like bank changes than the Extender. THere seems to be more overall latency on the MCU. Is that normal?

Cheers

Kris
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #341
DrFrankencopter

Is there any way to re-order the tracks displayed on the MCU & Extenders?

I tried changing the order in the mixer view, but that had no effect. Hiding tracks in the TCP has no effect either.

I'm looking to set up a mixer view where all my folder tracks are at the left side and would all be in one bank on my control surface setup. I thought this would be nice for setting overall balances....but I can't seem to find a way to do it using the control surface.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Kris
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #342
Klinke

You can press the GLOBAL VIEW button to switch between a "Show all tracks" and a "Show tracks as they are shown in the Reaper Mixer" view.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #343
DrFrankencopter

Quote:
You can press the GLOBAL VIEW button to switch between a "Show all tracks" and a "Show tracks as they are shown in the Reaper Mixer" view.
Brilliant! Many thanks!

Cheers

Kris
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #344
mahasandi

Any chance of this on OSX?
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #345
yagonnawantthatcowbell

I've been asking for this. At least if it could coincide with the release of V4.... Don't hold your breath.
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #346
poppa_john

Default V-Studio 700 Console + Reaper?

Hi guys!,

Already started a new thread, (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77758) but it relates directly to this and I don't want to cross-post.

Basically, I own a Cakewalk VS-700 Console. Awesome for Sonar, sucky for Reaper. Used Kilnke's plug-in which somewhat helped but not fully, mapping is still wonky.

Actions menu does not recognize surface commands so I can't really customize it. Any other way I can do it that doesn't require coding? Anyone willing to collaborate and build an extension for this amazing console?! I don't know how to code but I will help any other way!

Also, the faders are quite choppy when they read automation. Is it the same with normal MCU's? Never had the choppiness in Sonar. I think It's the way Reaper is sending the automation.

Cheers. Happy to be part of this community.
poppa_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #347
Klinke

I will release an update at the end of this week. So if anyone has created some plug maps that she wants to share, please send them to me. I will add them to the "installer" (it will be still just a zip-archive ;-) ) and praise you in the manual.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #348
gridlove

Hi klinke, I was just wondering if the update will include automatic bank selection upon track scrolling?

I posted a while ago and you replied saying it was in the pipeline.

Just to re-cap, I use a bcf2000 with your setup and it would be cool if when you scroll to the next/previous track, the bcf2000 would change banks as appropriate.

This already works if you click a track as the bcf moves to the relevant bank for the clicked fader.

Anyway, many thanks for the fantastic work you have done.

All the best
gridlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #349
Klinke

What to you mean with track scrolling? The visible tracks in Repear or the selected tracks. In the later case: Yes, following the selected tracks is improved in this version, the extension will also detect that the track selection has changed when this happend via actions (before only track selections with the mouse were recognized).
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #350
gridlove

I basically have the fader on my novation nocturn assigned to goto track (midicc) so i can quickly scroll through all tracks, and while I do this, the current behaviour shows the selected track on the bcf2000 (track select button).
But if I, for example, scroll past track 8 to track 9 the bcf doesnt change to the next bank of faders, if I click on track 9 with the mouse however the bcf moves to the next bank automatically.

Anyway, it sounds like you have implemented this behaviour, either way I`m grateful for the upcoming update

Thanks for the reply!
gridlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #351
DeyBwah

Is there an easy way to swap the function of the Stop and Ctrl+Stop? I'd like it so the default Stop button asks me which media to save/delete.

I ask because I use a summing bus and 2 bus compressor while tracking. This means that I have to set up a mix bus track that's record-enabled and monitoring turned on to hear the effects of the analog sum bus + 2-bus comp. The fallout is that every time I record a track, I have to delete the mix buss stem.

I'd like to simplify the process a little bit by not having to press Ctrl+Stop every time. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #352
Klinke

Can't you just set mix buss Record mode to: "Record: disable (input monitoring only)"?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #353
DeyBwah

Quote:
Can't you just set mix buss Record mode to: "Record: disable (input monitoring only)"?
You. Are. The. MAN!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #354
Klinke

I just have release a new version and opened a new thread for this release:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...242#post758242
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #355
d. gauss

on my bcf2000, prior to installing the klinke plugin, pushing the rotary encoder automatically centered the pan for the selected channel. now the encoder does nothing at all when depressed. am i missing something?
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #356
Klinke

I'm using the pressed/unpressed state for different speeds, so it was necessary to remove this behavior.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #357
Klinke

Zendrum successfully found the cause for the trouble with newer firmwares, as described here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ghlight=klinke

The bugfix itself was easy afterwards, and so i fixed it also for the old 0.6.4 version, knowing that still a lot of people using it because it's the last version that support extenders.

32-bit version:
http://tinyurl.com/3jm44fk

64-bit version:
http://tinyurl.com/3tassky
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #358
ACW

Default Hopefully

Is there any sight on a mac version?
ACW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #359
UNdark

Default mac use of mackie universal

Hi, anyone know if this is pc only? I've done all the stuff on this thread installing etc and still can't run it...
thanks,Mike
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #360
ThrashJazzAssassin

PC only

Quote:
Unfortunately the extension works only with windows.