Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
jesussaddle
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie Question Re Turning Off MIDI View Scroll

For some reason in my past work with MIDI, I always tend to let the track play over some larger loop while editing a smaller section. Setting the loop small, so the notes I'm working stay on the screen, defeats the purpose of hearing the overall section (maybe an 8 measure bar. But zooming out to 8 measures makes it impossible to edit.

I KNOW there's a way to turn off whatever this "follow" or "autoscroll" behavior within the MIDI piano roll, is called. I just don't know what reaper calls it.

Is my use of this type of MIDI editing unusual?

Please help if you can!
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
jesussaddle

Oh boy, probably another newbie question I have from using other DAWs is the concept of copies versus instances. Is there an equivalent in Reaper? The manual mentions it once, and only once, and isn't specific.

Page 209 refers to "select(ing) all instances of a media file or FX". In many programs there is a way, using keyboard commands like shift/alt/ctrl, to tell the program whether you want an instance or copy (my terminology may not be exactly correct to say the least). Editing one of these two types of "reproduced things" causes all instances to be changed (hence the word "instance" i think). The other is just a new copy, with no tie to the original - its entirely separate. Silly me, I thought I had done this before in Reaper, and that all I had to do was remember whether to press shift plus ctrl, or just ctrl, when dragging a clip to a new position to duplicate it there and leave the original where it was.

Can someone please point me to the reference or an explanation re Reaper and editing clips (for instance a MIDI Clip)?

Oh never mind! (sort of..) I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcFNJfb2x4o

Kenny refers to it as "propogation" of properties, which may be an even better more advanced method. I was indeed able to edit MIDI on a clip, and propogate the edits to similarly named clips.

Although Propogate and propogation do not occur in the Reaper manual...

Meanwhile, I would still prefer not to have to propogate each time I want to hear the series of clips in context. I would prefer if I could, as a user choice using a keyboard shortcut, make the newly copied clips "instances" so that editing them would affect each one. But not be required to loop them, since they're not consecutive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbyMQJBLCew

Last edited by jesussaddle; 12-15-2018 at 09:06 PM.
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesussaddle View Post
Probably another newbie question I have from using other DAWs is the concept of copies versus instances. Is there an equivalent in Reaper? The manual mentions it once, and only once, and isn't specific.

Page 209 refers to "select(ing) all instances of a media file or FX". In many programs there is a way, using keyboard commands like shift/alt/ctrl, to tell the program whether you want an instance or copy (my terminology may not be exactly correct to say the least). Editing one of these two types of "reproduced things" causes all instances to be changed (hence the word "instance" i think). The other is just a new copy, with no tie to the original - its entirely separate. Silly me, I thought I had done this before in Reaper, and that all I had to do was remember whether to press shift plus ctrl, or just ctrl, when dragging a clip to a new position to duplicate it there and leave the original where it was.

Can someone please point me to the reference or an explanation re Reaper and editing clips (for instance a MIDI Clip)?
sounds like you might be looking for "pooled" copies. Kenny has probably done a video about it
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote