Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
zenmaster1314
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Stuttering on Playback

So yeah, as the title says Reaper has been stuttering on playback, profusely I might add. I upgraded the current system I'm using to Windows 10, and I've only had the problem after. I've added my specs below, and also am including a video so everyone can see that shit is fucked.

CPU: i5 4690K
RAM: 16.0 GB of alright stuff
GPU: GTX 1060

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0xmQJxiuE

As you can see my processor is not maxed out, and I cannot see any spikes in CPU hit occurring simultaneously with the stutters. In fact, it appears that the CPU usage drops a little bit during the stutter. I have no idea what's up and would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!
zenmaster1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Dstruct

Open REAPER's performance meter -> rightclick -> enabled "display realtime (RT) CPU".

I guess it's at 100%.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
zenmaster1314

You are right.

https://imgur.com/a/whHcG

Every time I hear a stutter I get a peak in the CPU graph (guessing it's a more frequently updated graph). The performance of my plugins looks pretty good though, I don't see any huge spikes while the stutters happen on individual tracks. Is there a way to find out what's going wrong?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
zenmaster1314

Also upon further investigating it seems even stranger that these CPU spikes are happening. My CPU will be around 35-40% and then all of a sudden it will jump to 100% (based off the RT graph in Reaper). None of the plugins I'm using during this time appear to up their CPU hit significantly.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Dstruct

Move all of your plugins on the Master to a folder track. Might fix it.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
zenmaster1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Move all of your plugins on the Master to a folder track. Might fix it.
Didn't help. Still getting huge CPU spikes and stutters.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
dug dog

I don't know what O/S you've up-graded from and you don't say what type of audio interface you're using but, perhaps you need an updated driver to work with Win 10.

Just a guess.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
zenmaster1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I don't know what O/S you've up-graded from and you don't say what type of audio interface you're using but, perhaps you need an updated driver to work with Win 10.

Just a guess.

Hey sorry for the delay. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I am using an Audient iD14, and I just made sure my driver was up to date and compatible with Windows 10. It's still stuttering, but I've also noticed that if the project has been open longer the stuttering is more frequent.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
ferropop

Are you using lots of Folders, and effects on folders? I started getting crazy with Folders and routing recently, and noticed that Reaper doesn't play nice as soon as you start using plugins with big PDC on folders and sends/receives. It's a pretty severe problem honestly and I haven't been able to get any acknowledgement, despite being able to reproduce it easily every time.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
zenmaster1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Are you using lots of Folders, and effects on folders? I started getting crazy with Folders and routing recently, and noticed that Reaper doesn't play nice as soon as you start using plugins with big PDC on folders and sends/receives. It's a pretty severe problem honestly and I haven't been able to get any acknowledgement, despite being able to reproduce it easily every time.

Yeah it's a pretty large project of about 50 tracks and plenty of folders, plus lots of fx. Also a good amount of routing going on. I've had plenty of projects this size in the past and never had any problems, but now after the OS change the playback has been just awful.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster1314 View Post
Yeah it's a pretty large project of about 50 tracks and plenty of folders, plus lots of fx. Also a good amount of routing going on. I've had plenty of projects this size in the past and never had any problems, but now after the OS change the playback has been just awful.
Just for fun, go to the Performance Meter (Ctrl-Alt-P), and sort by PDC. Try temporarily disabling one (or a few) with the largest PDC and see if this makes a difference.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
zenmaster1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Just for fun, go to the Performance Meter (Ctrl-Alt-P), and sort by PDC. Try temporarily disabling one (or a few) with the largest PDC and see if this makes a difference.
Disabling the plugins the the largest CPD worked a bit. Especially the plugins I had on the master. There are still little pops, but I'm not getting the huge RT CPU spikes along with crazy stutter I was getting before.

With everything engaged and a fresh session I'm still getting some spikes and stutter. I even changed the performance settings on some of my plugins, which freed up some processing power but isn't really stopping the stutters from happening.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
chandso

Default Windows Updates and stuttering / skipping

I had this problem recently, drove me crazy. Had been evaluating Reaper for several weeks, everything seemed awesome, and then all of a sudden it started skipping on playback. Looked at some forum posts including this one. Saw something somewhere about windows updates, and I realized I had had a Windows (10) update the day before. It was a very long update that had seemed to stall, taking forever. (I finally went to bed, so not sure whether update completed or not.) So I reversed the backup (or removed / unistalled or whatever they call it). After that, no more skipping!!!

Subsequent updates haven't seemed to cause any issues.
chandso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
ivansc

Nobody seems to have suggested the traditional Step One. Since you have changed OS recently, it would be worth downloading and running resplendence.com`s excellent latency monitor, which will at least give you a known baseline to work from.
Also, IF it throws up any errors, it will also give you some clue as to where you should look on your system.
Let us know how you get on

OOPS OP seems to have left the building years ago! (blush)

Last edited by ivansc; 05-29-2020 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Just noticed what an old thread this is.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #15
Outboarder

Are all the media files at the same sample rate as the project ?
If not, convert them.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
fwd0120

Default Similar issue

Hey all. Reviving this topic because I'm having a similar issue and this is the first result I got in google.

Here's what happened. I had my mastering chain set up (a number of high PDC plugins, including Ozone and Newfangled Elevate). At first I had this on my master track. Then I set a folder to be my mix bus, so to speak, and moved my mastering VSTs to the folder track (where all the tracks in my project were. I completely deleted the FX on the master track, so it's not like I was doubling the load on my CPU that way, yet the performance was MUCH worse (unplayable, practically) when the chain was on the mix bus folder instead of the master track. There are no drops when it's on the master track itself. Why is this? I was hoping to move to the folder method so I could have unprocessed reference tracks and a talkback track (well, technically using it to talk on discord etc. for virtual attended mix sessions).

For the more technical detail,
the processor is an i7-7700k at 4.8GHz. The project is using about 6GB of memory across ~90 tracks. With the mastering chain activated the CPU usually sits in the 30-35 percent area.
Another comment in the thread asked if there was any resampling going on, and yes there is on the vocal tracks (I'm doing a collab).

If this deserves its own thread, I'm happy to make one. Looking forward to getting some insights on this peculiar behaviour!
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote