Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
noise_construct
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor: zoom bug when opening an item

Double-clicking on a MIDI item in arrangement view to launch the default action (MIDI: Open in editor) doesn't open the item fully expanded in the MIDI Editor, double-clicking again does it. Instead of filling the view to display the item contents properly, REAPER seems to think that people want to see 80% empty space and a little sliver of the MIDI content on the left.

If you open the item again, this time REAPER has changed it's mind, and opens the content fully expanded.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:14 AM   #2
noise_construct

Am I the only one with this issue? Is there a settings conflict on my setup causing this? It doesn't matter what MIDI editor mode (per item/track/project) is selected, each item not previously opened is zoomed out like this, and I either need to double-click again or manually zoom. Which is incredibly frustrating.

I had a custom action that simply ran the open in midi editor action twice, but this broke up in the previous REAPER release.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #3
bobobo

same here

the double click zoom thing is new to me

as i can't find an action to solve it (doubleclick on new midi
item
s 'zoom to content') i think a button and/or keyboardshortcut in midieditor is the closest
solution as long as 'reaper thinks' (see above)
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
juliansader

Preferences are probably set to:
Behavior for "open items in built-in MIDI editor" -> Open all selected MIDI items

If REAPER opens multiple items simultaneously, it does not recall the last-used zoom settings of the clicked item (which will become the active item in the MIDI editor), but instead tries to fit all opened items into the MIDI editor.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
_jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Preferences are probably set to:
Behavior for "open items in built-in MIDI editor" -> Open all selected MIDI items

If REAPER opens multiple items simultaneously, it does not recall the last-used zoom settings of the clicked item (which will become the active item in the MIDI editor), but instead tries to fit all opened items into the MIDI editor.
I tried switching that setting to "Open the clicked MIDI item only" - still getting the same issue here.

Anybody have a fix?
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
MEMFIS_AKA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon View Post
I tried switching that setting to "Open the clicked MIDI item only" - still getting the same issue here.

Anybody have a fix?
No bro. Same sh*t here..in my config and "Clean" Reaper.
Try to create a shortcut - action is "Zoom to content" be sure to select MIDI EDITOR in right corner

Last edited by MEMFIS_AKA; 11-18-2018 at 04:53 PM.
MEMFIS_AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
efflux

This is just diasterously bad. Is this for real? There is no way to easily open an item in piano roll already zoomed?
efflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
efflux

This is what I have now set. In preferences - MIDI editor settings - When using one MIDI per project: choose - Active MIDI item follows selection changes in arrange view. This is the simple way to select and open the item and it retains the zoom level so if I'm comparing sections, they open at exactly the same zoom position. Initially double clicking zooms to content.
efflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
dfuent1321

Amen! Really frustrating. I have tried to be especially careful about where my edit cursor is when I double click a MIDI item. Sometimes the item opens with the cursor centered. Other times not even close. Should be able to fix this bug. Seems like this has been an issue for quite awhile.
dfuent1321 is offline   Reply With Quote