Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #41
jahudka
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Thanks for the answer.

How about not scanning checksums but Fx IDs and folder structures?
That's not really feasible because for VST plugins the plugin ID *is* the actual DLL path, so once you move the file the path in your reaper-fxfolders.ini will no longer match. If I were to keep a map of the DLL checksums then I could find out which plugins were just moved, as opposed to added and / or removed. But again, this is something that would only work for VSTs (and maybe JS plugins), and with the amount of work needed to do it I just don't really think it's worth the effort.

But maybe check out the new version I just uploaded - the FX-to-folder assignment is now managed using a grid similar to REAPER's routing / region matrices which gives you a faster way to manage plugins; if you remove a plugin from all the folders it's assigned to it won't reappear the next time you launch RearrangeFX.
jahudka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #42
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahudka View Post
That's not really feasible because for VST plugins the plugin ID *is* the actual DLL path, so once you move the file the path in your reaper-fxfolders.ini will no longer match. If I were to keep a map of the DLL checksums then I could find out which plugins were just moved, as opposed to added and / or removed. But again, this is something that would only work for VSTs (and maybe JS plugins), and with the amount of work needed to do it I just don't really think it's worth the effort.

But maybe check out the new version I just uploaded - the FX-to-folder assignment is now managed using a grid similar to REAPER's routing / region matrices which gives you a faster way to manage plugins; if you remove a plugin from all the folders it's assigned to it won't reappear the next time you launch RearrangeFX.
Just an FYI I've noticed some folders on the top row simply don't show (i.e folders I've made in Reaper are not showing in the above column of your RearrangeFX.)

For example, if I hover in the grid somewhere, the pop up = accurate name of folder. But, following up the column, leads to a different folder than pop up name. Why is this? What could cause this in the program?

ReaarrangeFX is showing like 8 of my folders along the top, yet I have 20+ in Reapers. Where are all the other folders? What's the glitch?

I think you goofed on the smart folders because zero smarts are showing.

PS. Figured it out more for you: 1) Your program ignores all Smart folders. 2) As a result of this, the numbering of the folders across the top of the grid are "off" by the # of smart folders missing. Hope this makes sense. Once the Smart folders can show up in your grid, the numbering should work itself out. Thanks for this!!
Old 11-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #43
jahudka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Just an FYI I've noticed some folders on the top row simply don't show (i.e folders I've made in Reaper are not showing in the above column of your RearrangeFX.)

I think you goofed on the smart folders because zero smarts are showing.
Hi, thanks for the report, indeed you are right - there is no point in showing Smart folders in the assignment view since you can't assign plugins to Smart folders, it would just be confusing - so I was skipping Smart folders in the top part of the view, but I forgot to skip them in the grid part as well. Try downloading v1.0.1 :-)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #44
lowellben

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the report, indeed you are right - there is no point in showing Smart folders in the assignment view since you can't assign plugins to Smart folders, it would just be confusing - so I was skipping Smart folders in the top part of the view, but I forgot to skip them in the grid part as well. Try downloading v1.0.1 :-)
Indeed you are right too They should not be up above but the numbering was off because of their omission

Thanks for this app it's a LIFESAVER.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #45
lowellben

Quote:
One question

Any reason why you removed the ability to click on the folder in the folder "sorting" list view, and they'll expand to show the plugins? It's so easy on the eyes that way, as a summary, or to quick check something. Previous versions had this. It's gone now. Grid is the only way to see contents of folders.

By being forced to open the grid just to "see" the contents of a folder, forces you to browse up and down the entire grid, hunting for squares. Then figuring out which is in a certain folder. The grid is great for ASSIGNING, for sure, but for summary viewing and quick looking, it's a bit cumbersome to no longer have folder list click to expand. You know what I mean?

Any chance you could return the feature to 'expand' folders in the basic folder list view, as in previous versions of Rearrange? Would this be possible in the future? Or is it gone for good?

Thanks for considering.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #46
lowellben

One more bug I found:

Plugins are screwy on the left side in grid view, I'll hover over a Sonnox EQ or something but it'll pop up and say RBass or something totally different.

The scroll view is NOT sync'd between VST grid list and the grid squares. I can scroll them and they do NOT sync.

So, if I scroll down VST list in grid view, the squares in view stay still.
Thus, totally messed up and impossible to use grid.

Can you sync them? It's broken completely.

The grid is a great concept but it'd be nice to have a fallback like before just in case, we can always safely drag and drop manually.

Just an idea. But something's certainly off in my grid Sorry.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #47
lowellben

Bug is easy to reproduce:

Open Rearrange.

Go to grid.
Scroll up and down freely and notice that everything is IN SYNC. VST LIST and GRID squares.
Ok.
Now let's break it.

Scroll down somewhere in your VST list and click once on any square icon (thus, removing plugin from folder).

Ok?

Now, the sync is broken. By clicking on the grid and removing a square, you've broken the list. You can't scroll up and down now and stay in sync with list.

It's now DE-SYNC'd the VST scroll in the grid. See?

If you're lucky and you think it's not happening to you, try a few more square-removing clicks. It will break. Promise

Please fix?

Workaround: you must toggle BACK to folder list "sorting" view, then go BACK to grid, and it's back in sync.

But you cannot just click squares because after the first click, as I said, it breaks sync.

Last edited by lowellben; 11-17-2016 at 06:27 PM.
lowellben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #48
jahudka

Okay, took me a while to reproduce it, but in the end I found it. Enter v1.0.3! :-) Also you can now click a folder to show its contents in the main view.

Downloads, as usual, are here: https://jahudka.github.io/rearrangefx

Thanks a lot for your input, @lowellben!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #49
lowellben

Quote:
Okay, took me a while to reproduce it, but in the end I found it. Enter v1.0.3! :-) Also you can now click a folder to show its contents in the main view.

Downloads, as usual, are here: https://jahudka.github.io/rearrangefx

Thanks a lot for your input, @lowellben!
I'm happy to help. I'm very passionate about this particular program (yours) because it's a MASSIVE lifesaver when it comes to plugin management so THANK YOU for making it.

I knew it was reproducible, but just random enough I couldn't quite bet my life on WHEN you'd see it ;p

edit:
you can even click drag across many blocks at once and fast-remove squares ahhhh bloody brilliant!!

Working beautifully now thanks for the quick fixes!!!

Last edited by lowellben; 11-18-2016 at 07:23 AM.
lowellben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #50
jahudka

Well I'm glad it's useful to someone :-)

The dragging behaviour is actually something I also copied from REAPER - I've discovered this works in the routing and region render matrices as well as toggling solo / mute / record arm / record monitoring in both the MCP and the TCP in REAPER and I loved it so much that I'm now implementing this kind of functionality in every app or website I'm working on whenever it makes sense. And it's not just REAPER that has this kind of functionality, either - I've noticed that you can toggle the visibility of layers in Photoshop the same way, and there's probably many more instances that I don't even know about. I'd just LOVE if Google took notice and implemented this for selecting multiple e-mails in the inbox!!

Anyway, I'm happy that it works for you now, thanks for the detailed reports again and please do feel free to get in touch in case anything misbehaves in the future :-)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #51
richie43

I just sent an email....
One one of my two systems, RearrangeFX loads with a folder list that is not current and plugins listed that do not exist on the system? I cleared the cache and rescanned, but it's still behaving this way. I checked the ini file and it still lists the plugins that do not exist...What's going on here??
Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #52
richie43

I stand corrected...This is wonky on both of my systems. The folder structure is correct, but both systems show fx in these folders that are not installed.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #53
jahudka

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I just sent an email....
One one of my two systems, RearrangeFX loads with a folder list that is not current and plugins listed that do not exist on the system? I cleared the cache and rescanned, but it's still behaving this way. I checked the ini file and it still lists the plugins that do not exist...What's going on here??
Quote:
I stand corrected...This is wonky on both of my systems. The folder structure is correct, but both systems show fx in these folders that are not installed.
Hi, thanks for the report, unfortunately this is something that I can't handle in RearrangeFX directly. There is no cache within RearrangeFX, it works directly with the file that Reaper uses to store the FX folder structure. The problem is that when you uninstall a plugin that you previously added to one or more folders, Reaper will not display that plugin anymore, but it won't remove the entries from the FX folders file, it will just silently ignore them when displaying folder contents. And as RearrangeFX doesn't work directly with plugins there is no way for me to check if the plugins in the FX folders file actually exist on your system or not. You need to remove them manually in RearrangeFX. Once you remove a given plugin from all the folders it had previously been assigned to, it won't appear in RearrangeFX anymore.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #54
richie43

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the report, unfortunately this is something that I can't handle in RearrangeFX directly. There is no cache within RearrangeFX, it works directly with the file that Reaper uses to store the FX folder structure. The problem is that when you uninstall a plugin that you previously added to one or more folders, Reaper will not display that plugin anymore, but it won't remove the entries from the FX folders file, it will just silently ignore them when displaying folder contents. And as RearrangeFX doesn't work directly with plugins there is no way for me to check if the plugins in the FX folders file actually exist on your system or not. You need to remove them manually in RearrangeFX. Once you remove a given plugin from all the folders it had previously been assigned to, it won't appear in RearrangeFX anymore.
Aha....thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #55
Paul99

Quote:
The problem is that when you uninstall a plugin that you previously added to one or more folders, Reaper will not display that plugin anymore, but it won't remove the entries from the FX folders file, it will just silently ignore them when displaying folder contents. And as RearrangeFX doesn't work directly with plugins there is no way for me to check if the plugins in the FX folders file actually exist on your system or not. You need to remove them manually in RearrangeFX. Once you remove a given plugin from all the folders it had previously been assigned to, it won't appear in RearrangeFX anymore.
Yes, I already had discovered that. But RearrangeFX still is a very handy tool to handle your directories!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #56
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
Yes, I already had discovered that. But RearrangeFX still is a very handy tool to handle your directories!
Absolutely. Maybe he can figure a way for the app to make sub-folders...bwhahaha
Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #57
Paul99

Quote:
Absolutely. Maybe he can figure a way for the app to make sub-folders...bwhahaha
Well, actually that would be a great enhancement. But it will be quit difficult if Reaper itself doesn't have that facility already made possible.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #58
hopi

just wondering this:

for organizing in the reaper FX Browser, the filter can be VERY helpful... in that I can filter for the developer name, or for 'reverb' or whatever...

and then get a smaller than everything, list to choose and sort into user made folders...

would it be possible for your great app to have a filter ability?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #59
justcosmic1

Default Other fields such as comments etc

hi,
I know what I'm about to ask is outside the scope of the original purpose of your software, but I'll ask anyway just in case

I'm wondering if there's any chance you could add a field for comments and perhaps one for giving a rating on either 1-5 or 1-10 (both per plugin).

The idea being that you can make comments about specific plugins and also give them a personal rating in order to help keep organized and be able to remind yourself what something is good or bad at etc
Obviously it would be good to be able to filter the plugins by those fields too (especially by rating - but being able to search/filter by text strings in the comments could be good too).

I wish Reaper had this built in of course...but in case it's not too difficult to add I thought I would ask.

If not - no harm done - and thanks for listening
justcosmic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #60
hopi

Default problem

just got the new version and major problem

I'm on win7 pro 64 bit

in pref's I can't get to the correct .ini file because I can't just copy and paste the path into the data path field... and if I clk on that field it opens to the root folder of my portable reaper install but does not show the files inside that root folder... i.e., can't select the ini file
Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #61
nocturn

i couldnt get it to work, wouldnt move between the two pages, wouldnt display my plugins and would freeze if i stuck around. i tried everything mentioned. this wouldve been really helpful...looks cool! and it looks like its worth developing further. im on win xp 32bit and thats probably why it wont run right. nothng does anymore so im not even surrised anymore, 90% of the programs i try dont work. anyway, reapers still horrible at organizing plugins and it looks like more and more people are having thier plugin folder trees wiped while updating to newer versions, cockos is ignoring every post. i feel a sonar 7'esc update coming and me and you moving on to the next big thing. remeber that daw we used to use that let you cjange everyting right out from under yourself by mistake and find out about a year later?it looked like they finally heard us about the media explorer but, they didnt fix its issues and just added some more features to it, making you want to use it even more. whatever it is thats too complex in it being able to insert a selection exactly where youre hearing it playing in the preview is beyond me. and why hasnt anyone reorganzed the option menus so it isnt a treasure hunt everytime i learn about some new project crippling mistake by not having something ticked. sometimes i think repear is someones revenge scheme agianst the world for them having bad hearing or no thumbs or something. theres so many hidden handicaps and game ending bugs. but its been ten years and i have workarounds for everything at this point. reaper isnt free, but it is. thats why were using it. no one likes having to always second guess themselves while working. thats the reaper mixing enviroment; troubleshooting. why cant it just do things logically, without redundancy, legibly, AND be a fully functional daw for free. if you take away the love we have for it through our years of investing sacrifice and trying our integrity vs these easter egg bugs were only half aware of, reapers not done. its not fully functional, its "as is" and be grateful. in the world of audio, thats terrible place to live.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #62
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
just got the new version and major problem

I'm on win7 pro 64 bit

in pref's I can't get to the correct .ini file because I can't just copy and paste the path into the data path field... and if I clk on that field it opens to the root folder of my portable reaper install but does not show the files inside that root folder... i.e., can't select the ini file
OK I'm back and hope more work can be done on that because it is so much needed to work.

As I said before and quoted above, I have a portable install of reaper..
I have rearrangefx.exe in side that install... OK
In the pref's for it, I can set the path to the root folder of the portable install, i.e., D:\Reaper 64 Portable, and there is the needed .ini also inside that root...
But this app never finds it and therefore can't be used to change it.

What can be done???
Old 06-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #63
uncleswede

Has anyone managed to get RearrangeFX working with a portable install of Reaper?
On my portable Reaper system (installed in C:\REAPER) the RearrangeFX application finds nothing - no plugins at all. The reaper-fxfolders.ini fine is definitely in that folder...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #64
hopi

me too mostly need it for portable installs... hope more work gets done on this since the DEV's seem so unwilling to even add hot keys to the move up and move down in the FX Browser folder...

Just having those hot keys would fix it all for me...
having to clk and clk and clk over and over thru menus to move a folder up 20 slots is just plain crazy....
Old 06-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #65
Edgemeal

Quote:
me too mostly need it for portable installs
If on Windows give this a try, be sure to backup ini file, see readme in zip,
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36615/Arrange%20FX.zip
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #66
Coachz

Is there anything Edgemeal cannot do ?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #67
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
If on Windows give this a try, be sure to backup ini file, see readme in zip,
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36615/Arrange%20FX.zip
OMFG... at last! THANK YOU SO MUCH

PS: this makes my life reasonable... and I wonder if it could include the ability to rename folders? and\or create new folders [smart folders???]
IF it could it would become the total replacement for managing the FX Browser. WoW MoM

Last edited by hopi; 06-24-2019 at 07:55 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #68
Coachz

Quote:

PS: this makes my life reasonable... and I wonder if it could include the ability to rename folders? and\or create new folders [smart folders???]
IF it could it would become the total replacement for managing the FX Browser. WoW MoM
Huge timesaver 4 sure
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #69
hopi

indeed... cuts the time from over 30 minutes to under 3
Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #70
Edgemeal

Quote:
Glad it helps, see if this works for you,..
v0.03 - June 25, 2019
+ Add, Edit, and Rename FX folders.
# Smart folders are colored Cyan.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #71
hopi

OMG... Edge... you went above and beyond... Now that is a thing of beauty!

I hope Nicolas is noticing this cuz it should be pointed out in the user guide... In fact... it should be included in the Reaper installer!

IMO, what you have done totally solves a long standing problem in Reaper...
...sure, not a deal killer for the DAW, but one major irritation for people who have a lot of FX folders.

YOU DA MAN!!!