Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default What Audio Interface do you own and why do you hate it?

Just curious.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
zeekat

I have a Tascam 2x2 stashed away. I don't hate it, it's okay, but headphone out is reeealy quiet. Also single client driver. I mean, I think there's an option for multiclient (separate "mixing driver"), but it's so convoluted I never got how it actually works.

Thread/database of annoyances like these would be actually pretty beneficial, as it's often impossible to learn shit like this until you buy the thing. I spent considerable time browsing hundreds of user reviews while researching purchases (amazon and so on) and it's incredible how little you can learn from them.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Liquid Fusion

Why Hate? I love my interface! It's amazing!!!

If yours doesn't do the job, save - and you might get what you need.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Why Hate? I love my interface! It's amazing!!!
Agree. I have an M-Audio Fast-Track Ultra, which provides everything I want. Enough analog ins and outs to meet my needs, XLR and TRS jacks, phantom power for the XLRs, two separate headphone jacks/mixes, zero-latency direct monitoring mode, plus 5-pin MIDI in/out jacks. The ADC/DAC quality is good enough for me.

I've looked, and haven't found another interface that provides the same features without (a) including MUCH more than I need, and (b) costing considerably more than the $300 I paid for mine 10 years ago.

Nothing to hate here.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
TheMaartian

I have two, the one I use (Tascam US-16x08) and the one that's in the closet (PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL).

What do I hate about the 44VSL? The company behind it, the buggy drivers they released for it, the VSL capability they dropped, the incessant marketing they try to pass off as tutorials or tips. Blah blah blah.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Reason

E-Mu 1212M

Drivers haven't been updated since Vista. No XLR inputs without additional hardware. Required software is hard to wrap your head around if you're not familiar with routing.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Nizhny Tagil

I've had an M-Audio Fast Track, a Lexicon Alpha and an ESI UGM96.

I hate the M-Audio because when I recorded with the instrument input the output would leak onto it. For example, if you cranked the gain you would hear the drums on the recording underneath the guitar. Not cool. Mic and line input were ok, but it still baffles me how such a nasty defect could pass any testing undetected, because it clearly was a product marketed at loud guitar players.
I don't use it anymore but I still have it.

I hated the Lexicon because too much latency with ampsims.

I hate the ESI because, for some reason, sometimes when I'm gaming it goes completely quiet unless I set the buffer size to the highest (which is only 288) and restart the applications involved.
It's just because I'm lazy though and I also use it as a multimedia soundcard, when I could easily use the built-it soundcard for ordinary tasks.
So it sucks as a multimedia soundcard, but for audio recording it's pretty good.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Got RME UFX+ and absolutely no hate for it, it's a brilliant interface!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
mccrabney

komplete audio 6. the SPDIF output can't apparently be routed to the device's input which i needed for some reason a while back before REAPER's internal loopback outputs were available

otherwise it's a tank and only cost me 100 bucks on ebay
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yea, as an owner of three RME devices and an old school M-Audio back before Avid bought them, I don't actually know what it's like to hate my interface.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
grinder

I hate my Orpheus because I can not afford another 5 of them!
Everybody should have one....

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
E-Mu 1212M

Drivers haven't been updated since Vista. No XLR inputs without additional hardware. Required software is hard to wrap your head around if you're not familiar with routing.
I don't have it any more but I had to give up on an Emu 1820m cos I just couldn't figure it out at all (you know that feeling when you think you have it sussed but then it just doesn't behave as expected.) It also defeated my mate who is a musician and software engineer and my son-in-law who is a DJ and producer...
And yet REAPER routing seems not so daunting.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Juan D'Fall

Location: On the Eastern edge of London (UK), almost on the Essex border.

I am using a Steinberg UR242. It's ok, solidly built and does what I want it to do. I wish they would use separate phantom power switches for each input, though.
Zeekat, Your headphone output might be too low if you are using the wrong impedance headphones. I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic 400 ohm and they are very quiet on this interface. I now use Audio Technica ATH M50x 38 ohm and they are much louder. It's something to do with the way amplifiers work.
Jim
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
Mordi

I really enjoyed my PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2, until it became defective. I had it turned on and connected via FireWire while doing a Windows update, and suddenly my monitors said "POP!" and now none of the channels will take any input.

Edit. Had it for about 3 years. Just been sitting on a desk all the time. Used almost daily.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
xaverle

most hatet terratec ews64...bought 2 of them for band recording and had only issues with them.
before i had an ewx 24/96 this was a reliable unit but sadly an ISA device (i think i still have it, laying around in my cellar, if someone is interested)
tascam us122L o.k. but headphone out was way to quiet.
emu 0404 PCI ...great unit, but sadly no driver support since W7
emu 0404 Usb ..crap with shitty drivers, exchanged it with the Us122L.
ATM using a roland quad capture for laptop...great unit with rock stable driver, completely underrated. Works like a charm.
for my desktop and the PC in the rehearsal room i've bought 2 10 or so years old rme multifaces and these are simply the best interfaces i've ever got, high quality converters, lowest latency, great routing possibilities....and W10 support for an 10+ years old unit!
Since i own these i don't think about buffers, latency, driver probs and so on.. not cheap at all but the best bang for buck definetely.
Last month i got a thr10 from yamaha, fantastic practise amp with a built in usb Interface, sounds great and the drivers are stable and you have the possibility to record amps out together with di out.
so...thumbs up for rme/roland/yamaha, the rest is naaah or way too expensive.
my 2 cents
greetz
alex

Last edited by xaverle; 07-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
xaverle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #16
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan D'Fall View Post
Zeekat, Your headphone output might be too low if you are using the wrong impedance headphones.
I use 32 ohm ones with some decent sensitivity - yet they're kinda quiet on Tascam. More than loud enough on my Mackie Blackjack.

Blackjack, in general, is perfect since I upgraded my computer to modern standards. Had stability problems on vintage 2008 hardware, now it's rock stable, be it DAW or general windows goings-on.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
Refillable

I have Steinberg UR824. I love it so much that I bought UR44 as well.

Never any problems.

Knock on wood.
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
Jeffsounds

I have an M-Audio 2496 and have used it since I bought it in about 2001. What I hate about it is that it's not new technology anymore. It does everything I want it to do at this point with the exception of not being able to leave things plugged in. It's a constant battle of moving cables around. But other than that, it still works and I haven't had any problems with it.

But I still want a Focusrite 18i8.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #19
Valle

Haha! Great topic (line)! Great way to do ones research! Shame so many took it the defensively negative way, like “I have Audio Interface X, and I don’t hate anything about it, it’s perfect, flawless ...”.

Of course, that’s as untrue as it can get. Every Audio Interface, even X, has its glitches.

I have Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. And it’s great, except for three main things:

1. The routing concept is all but logic/clear. The user videos on the Internet explains its functions way clearer than the manual.

2. Some functions that undoubtedly should have been controlled by a physical button on the hardware are controlled via the software instead. For instance the input impedance.

3. The GUI looks like Windows 3.11 on acid.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #20
rcl

Motu ultralite mk3 hybrid.

Great piece. Wish the knobs were bigger. But chdck this out. Its 12 v DC. I run alot of things in my house on 12v DC. Soooo. with its onboard DSP eq and comp. I can plug in my bass and jam all night long with my mp3 player and headphones. No computer needed. Big deal when you live on battery power.

Nothin to hate.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #21
jerome_oneil

I'm still in the honeymoon faze with my Focusrite 18i8, but I'm going to hate that the lightpipe is input only. I love the control software.

I also just bought a MOTU 8pre. I like the kit. I'm gonna hate the control software, though, because I already do. It also only has S/PDIF out, so I can't tie it into my Focusrite.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #22
SuperKons

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which I totally love, and Zoom R8, which I consider of decent quality, audio interface wise
SuperKons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
peter5992

M Audio Projectmix I/O
M Audio Firewire 2626
Behringer FCA 1616
Echo Indigo I/O
EMU USB 0404

I don't hate any of them, in fact I love all of them (but I only actively use the two M Audio interfaces right now, rest is backup / for on the road).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #24
Philbo King

Presonus VSL 1818 Audiobox. It's a good setup, but their lack of driver support will mean my next interface will be another brand. One thing I really like is the virtual Fat Channel on every input; I can set the compressor to kick in at -3 dB, and the limiter to kick in at -0.5 dB, so I never get accidental clipping when recording.

It has fairly long latency (256 samples), but I monitor through my mixer console, so that's not an issue for me.

I did have to spend a dozen or so hours updating Win7 before I could get the driver to install, that was a PITA... But it works solidly. Could have done worse.

Last edited by Philbo King; 07-11-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #25
Kiddo

Default More love than hate

Terratec phase = good but needs an old computer now to work.
Focusrite 18i6 = definite love hate relationship drivers and itermittent clicks no matter what i did. good card otherwise would have liked more outs.
Roland super ua
Simple to use,DSP:compressor, hpf , gate, phase,auto sens input, finely incremented controls in harware and software(does anybody else do this), excellent quality sound(1bit dsd & 192KHz 32bit pcm playback, 24bit record), everything is controllable from software don't have to touch the controls on the card. 3 switchable stereo output sources.What more could a body ask for ................mmmmm RME LATENCY MAYBE more inputs, etc...and on and on but i only need 2 channels which this only has.
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #26
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hey, that's off topic!
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #27
nightscope

I built a box for a RME HDSPe RayDAT three months ago.

I hate the fact that I have absolutely nothing to moan about now.

Yer pal and buddy,

ns Chief Bottle Washer & Head Moaner.
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #28
Plazma

I have a Focusrite Saffire6 USB and I hate it because it will not die and force me to buy a new audio interface. Honestly, I'm so bored with the Saffire6 but it just keeps going and going. I hardly ever have to touch it, except to tweak guitar input levels now and then. I think I need a shiny new box that I can fiddle with for hours instead of just writing music.
Lulz
Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #29
bladerunner

Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD. The only interface I've owned that I don't hate! It's been rock solid driver wise on W10, build quality far exceeds its price, sounds excellent.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #30
lizzard

2 systems here rme ufx on one and standard motherboard sound on the other
once mixing or midi vst there is no difference ..only for audio recording is the rme wort its weight.

I hope this saves somebody a few grand.
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #31
g8torcliff

I'm just a hobbiest and the Alesis Multimix8 FW is the only interface I've ever owned. It does all I need and I can leave everything plugged in and ready to go: Two condensor mics, one sm57, three guitars, drum machine and keyboard.
Got it new at around $125 which i loved but....probably because it was being discontinued....which I hate.
Its also FW which has become obsolete... which I hate.
No new drivers in development... which I hate
The old driver doesn't work on Win10 ...which I hate because I would like to upgrade.

Its never given me any problems but one day it will end up in a closet somewhere.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 AM   #32
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torcliff View Post
I'm just a hobbiest and the Alesis Multimix8 FW is the only interface I've ever owned. It does all I need and I can leave everything plugged in and ready to go: Two condensor mics, one sm57, three guitars, drum machine and keyboard.
Got it new at around $125 which i loved but....probably because it was being discontinued....which I hate.
Its also FW which has become obsolete... which I hate.
No new drivers in development... which I hate
The old driver doesn't work on Win10 ...which I hate because I would like to upgrade.

Its never given me any problems but one day it will end up in a closet somewhere.

cliff
Cliff, I have a decent older machine, stuck an SSD in it, installed TahrPup Linux (no Windows), installed Jack for firewire and the Alesis works flawlessly on REAPER and Ardour. And no drivers required.

Just yesterday I bought a second-hand Presonus Firestudio, seems ok so far. I won't be using their mixing software mind you.

Last edited by FKAB; 07-12-2017 at 04:36 AM.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:14 AM   #33
g8torcliff

@FKAB: Don't get me wrong, my 10 year old system is rock solid, now on 8.1 pro upgraded from Vista. A couple small SSD's, 2 HD and a 1T external drive. I only wanted to go to Win 10-64 bit for the additional ram access. But MS wouldn't allow me the upgrade from 32 to 64-bit, (long story which belongs in a "why do you hate your OS" thread).

I probably won't go the Linux route because I'm pretty much done with monkeying around with computers and spend most of my time trying to record something decent.

I hope my equipment lasts at least as long as me at this point.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #34
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yea, as an owner of three RME devices and an old school M-Audio back before Avid bought them, I don't actually know what it's like to hate my interface.
I absolutely agree. Another very happy RME UFX owner here. One of the best purchases I've made for my studio.

Over the years, I've used many forms of recording devices from analog multitracks to ADAT, Tascam DA88, Protools TDM, Mackie standalone HDD recorders and others I've forgotten about.

Currently in my studio are two Digi001s, a Digi002r, an Mbox2 Pro and a Mackie Onyx 1640.

The gear that gets the most use by far is the RME UFX linked to two Behringer ADA8200s clocked via a Lucid SSG192 sync generator.
I have a Sound Devices 744t which I can also sync to the RME for a couple more very nice preamps if needed too.

No hate for any of this gear. The only thing I hate about the RME is that I don't have two of them!!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #35
drumphil99

roland studio capture 12x xlr's - drum recording

love it though reaper hangs if you load a project in 16bit when the device is set to 24bit
drumphil99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #36
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I have a Tascam 2x2 stashed away. I don't hate it, it's okay, but headphone out is reeealy quiet. Also single client driver. I mean, I think there's an option for multiclient (separate "mixing driver"), but it's so convoluted I never got how it actually works.

Thread/database of annoyances like these would be actually pretty beneficial, as it's often impossible to learn shit like this until you buy the thing. I spent considerable time browsing hundreds of user reviews while researching purchases (amazon and so on) and it's incredible how little you can learn from them.
I also have a 2x2, I love it for recording. Preamps are so pristine.

As far as I understand, you're supposed to only ever use the mixing driver, though sometimes it won't work with the mixing driver, and I use the other driver.

Though for mixing I'm usually using a MIYO, which has an amazing DAC / headphone amp (but no preamp for recording), and the drivers are solid. If you don't want to record, or you want to use a dedicated preamp (nothing good exists in the budget category) the MIYO is fantastic... but it gets hot. I mean, you'll burn yourself if you touch it.

I hate it because it literally turns my room into a sauna, and I sweat while I mix. This is not a joke.

Still love it though.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #37
Twangothan

Focusrite Pro40 - love it! I also have their USB 6 which I also love. Sorry!
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #38
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I also have a 2x2, I love it for recording. Preamps are so pristine.

As far as I understand, you're supposed to only ever use the mixing driver, though sometimes it won't work with the mixing driver, and I use the other driver.
Last time I checked, that mixing driver offered only 16 bit resolution, which I guess some folks could find unnaceptable. But maybe they updated that - I might be not 100% current on this issue.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #39
Quasar

I have an RME HDSP AIO, which is great, but I don't use any of the breakout cables. Instead, I have it connected to an MR816X via ADAT.

But since this is a "hate" thread LOL, what I dislike is that it was complicated to set up the routing, I don't really understand TotalMix and though everything works perfectly, I'm not sure why, or how long it would take me to set up again if I lost the saved settings for either the Steinberg or the RME software.

And I am still tethered to the MR816's FW cable, because without that you can't tweak the Steinberg unit settings, though I am happy to no longer need it for the actual audio output. I was having occasional crackles and dropouts with the FW interface, and the RME PCIe card has fixed this 100%, and even with a 64 sample buffer setting the RTL is well below 10ms.

But I wish a had a simple breakout box for the RME, like the old M-Audio Omni style setup. This was really easy to understand and use.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #40
ivansc

Since I love both of my current RMEs.....

Emu 1212m first love true love. I only sold it when I ran out of ins and outs & moved onto an RME 24 ADAT IO system. Dont understand why anyone ever had routing problems with these - I set it up to the basic recording template when I bought it and then did every thing in Reaper thereafter.

First USB interface I bought was a Saffire6 and on my dual core Win7 laptop it was great.
Bought a new i5 laptop running the SAME Win7 and it was a total trainwreck. During the course of trying to sort my issues out I went through a 2i2 AND a 2i4, neither of which behaved any better, so be careful what OS and hardware you are trying to make work with focusrite - unless they have finally fixed their driver issues in the last couple of years.

Oh - forgot to mention a Tascam USB interface, which never actually worked with a buffer setting under 1024, even on the i5!