Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #161
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
...I know I keep asking what may be "really redundant questions", but for some reason, I have it stuck in my mind that setting up and using my 2480 over my mouse would just be a PITA. What are the step by step instructions for trying this out.

I use a Win 64 machine, Reaper 32, with an M-Audio Firewire 410. I have a 2480 HD.

What exactly would I need to do to set things up?
What exactly would I be able to control in Reaper, from the 2480?
See the very first post of this thread

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #162
BrianJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
ANY midi interface will work

Yves

(i hear an echo here )

Lol, I know, I'm sorry...! Just want to make sure before I purchase something I can't use...I jumped the gun on the vfire, just didn't want to make that mistake again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
I never said i used the v-fires MIDI function while in Windows7/Reaper32. I use another midi interface hooked up to the VS's MIDI IN/OUT ports. Like that m-audio UNO you are planning to buy. I guess it makes sense for you to sell the V-fire if you dont plan on transferring a large amount of tracks at once from the VS to Reaper, or are not planning on doing multi-tracking.

Yves
Ahhh, thats my fault, I thought you were running the vfire midi interface as well...thanks for the info!
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #163
dea-man

Default OK, so I can get it to work as a control suface....

..in Win 7, 64. Cool. (I haven't actually done it yet, but I've downloaded your plug-in and read the first post and I get it.

I have an XP machine too, but only use it for the internet and stuff.

Why, oh why, won't Win 7, 64 bit, play nice with audio, the 2480 and the V-fire?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #164
MK Bassman

Default Trying to set up VS 2480 as a Control Surface

I have been looking at this thread for awhile and have decided to move over to Reaper. Here is how I've set this up so far:

1. Windows 7 machine running 64 bit windows
2. I downloaded Reaper 32 bit
3. VS to computer via Edirol UM-3X USB Midi interface (had to download new drivers and could only get Windows 64 bit to read 64 bit drivers). I think this is where I may have a problem. When I look in Reaper it recognizes the Edirol but I don't think it sees the 2480. Is the 64 bit driver causing a problem? I know that you can only use this plugin with the 32 bit version.
4. Also - I think I'm confused where you actually put the plugin.

Any suggestions on a different midi/usb interface? Also - any suggestions on an interface for the audio signal?

Thanks - I appreciate any help.

Mike
MK Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #165
Muziekschuur

There is a SI-24 plugin on this forum too. This plugin should allso work for the VS2480 owners as the remote controll surface of the SI-24 is the same.
Muziekschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #166
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Bassman View Post
I have been looking at this thread for awhile and have decided to move over to Reaper. Here is how I've set this up so far:

1. Windows 7 machine running 64 bit windows
2. I downloaded Reaper 32 bit
3. VS to computer via Edirol UM-3X USB Midi interface (had to download new drivers and could only get Windows 64 bit to read 64 bit drivers). I think this is where I may have a problem. When I look in Reaper it recognizes the Edirol but I don't think it sees the 2480. Is the 64 bit driver causing a problem? I know that you can only use this plugin with the 32 bit version.
4. Also - I think I'm confused where you actually put the plugin.

Any suggestions on a different midi/usb interface? Also - any suggestions on an interface for the audio signal?

Thanks - I appreciate any help.

Mike
oops i thought i replied to this already.

Please read the first post of this thread again as to where you put the VS plugin. And if your midi interface is recognized by reaper, and reaper recongized the VS plugin, you are good to go. dont let 64 bit windows/drivers confuse you: they should work ok with a 32-bit app like Reaper.

Yves
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #167
MK Bassman

Is the SI 24 Plugin the same as the 2480 plugin? If it is different - where is it located?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #168
MK Bassman

Default Need some help with setting up the VS 2480

I believe I followed the instructions as written, but Reaper doesn't seem to see the 2480. I have copied the plugin and Reaper allows the 2480 to be selected as a control surface. I was having an error message when starting Reaper that there was a problem with the midi ins/outs. Think I corrected that by editting the 2480 control surface and set the edirol UM-3x as the midi in & out. After that, no error when starting Reaper. Which should be started first - the 2480 or Reaper?

On the 2480 - I think I have set all the CC's etc properly. Any item not listed in post 1, I switched to "off" in the 2480 control surface setup. When I select shift V fader, the faders drop to the bottom but that is it. None of the bank lights are on (ie In 1-16, In 17-24, TR 1-16, Tr 17-24). Nor does anything happen when I select a track in Reaper and move what I believe to the proper fader on the 2480.

I think Reaper sees the edirol UM-3x but don't think it sees beyond that. Or maybe the problem is at the 2480 side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Another thing that confused me was at the bottom of post one there is an instruction to set up a text file and copy and paste the items into it. Is this necessary and how would I do that.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #169
yhertogh

Quote:
I believe I followed the instructions as written, but Reaper doesn't seem to see the 2480. I have copied the plugin and Reaper allows the 2480 to be selected as a control surface. I was having an error message when starting Reaper that there was a problem with the midi ins/outs. Think I corrected that by editting the 2480 control surface and set the edirol UM-3x as the midi in & out. After that, no error when starting Reaper. Which should be started first - the 2480 or Reaper?

On the 2480 - I think I have set all the CC's etc properly. Any item not listed in post 1, I switched to "off" in the 2480 control surface setup. When I select shift V fader, the faders drop to the bottom but that is it. None of the bank lights are on (ie In 1-16, In 17-24, TR 1-16, Tr 17-24). Nor does anything happen when I select a track in Reaper and move what I believe to the proper fader on the 2480.

I think Reaper sees the edirol UM-3x but don't think it sees beyond that. Or maybe the problem is at the 2480 side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Another thing that confused me was at the bottom of post one there is an instruction to set up a text file and copy and paste the items into it. Is this necessary and how would I do that.
Hi,

It defintely seems that MIDI isnt flowing between both devices.
Are you sure you have TWO cables between the edirol and the VS ? (MIDI IN AND OUT). Also make sure that the MIDI OUT port on the VS is configured for 'OUT' and not 'THRU'. Also make sure that you are using the actual MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back and not the RBUS MIDI ports on the VS. ANd ofcourse make sure that VS OUT is connected to Edirol IN and vice versa.

If you've checked all of this i would start troubleshooting by checking if midi flows in both directions. To do this, remove the VS2480 control surface configuration in Reaper, and instead enable both input and output of the edirol in Devices/MIDI in preferences. Put the VS in control surface mode. Create a track in reaper and select the edirol midi input as input. Rec arm the track. Click the FX button and add the midi logger fx. Wiggle the fader on the VS and you should see activity in the midi logger window. This makes sure that the direction VS-->reaper works.
To test the other way around create a new track and click on I/O. Set the MIDI output to the edirol output. Then insert ReaControlMIDI as fx. In the CC section click 'enable' and change the first CC from volume to CC21. wiggle the fader of CC21 in Reacontrolmidi. Track 1 on the VS should move if the direction Reaper--> VS works.

Yves
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #170
MK Bassman

Tried what you suggested - nothing. What, if any, settings should I make on the VS Midi Parameter page?

I really appreciate your help. This is really frustrating!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #171
MK Bassman

Got it Working!! By mistake had the Midi Thru switch "on" on the Edirol. Turned it off and faders are working!!!

Yves - great job. I appreciate you extending the life of my 2480!!!

Mike
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #172
yhertogh

Quote:
Got it Working!! By mistake had the Midi Thru switch "on" on the Edirol. Turned it off and faders are working!!!

Yves - great job. I appreciate you extending the life of my 2480!!!

Mike
You're welcome ! Great you sorted it I knew it had to be a wiring problem!
Yves
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #173
Muziekschuur

I'm using a RPC-1 and the latest M-audio delta 1010 driver 6.0.8. This is 64 bit compliant and will work. I have three of those cards by the way.

Midi over R-bus does not work in 64 bit.
Muziekschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #174
MK Bassman

I have the VS 2480 working as a control surface. What do I need to do to record audio using the VS (signal into 2480 thru to reaper) ie use the 2480 as an interface? What device would allow me to record mutiple tracks? If I am reading correctly vfire used to allow this in XP but not in Win 7. Thanks for your help

Mike
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #175
yhertogh

Quote:
I have the VS 2480 working as a control surface. What do I need to do to record audio using the VS (signal into 2480 thru to reaper) ie use the 2480 as an interface? What device would allow me to record mutiple tracks? If I am reading correctly vfire used to allow this in XP but not in Win 7. Thanks for your help

Mike
You can use the digital out of the VS to get two tracks simultaneously to the pc (if your pc audio interface has a digital in off course). The vfire does indeed only work in XP and only works with certain firewire hardware. There are m-audio RPC IDE cards flying around on ebay that give you 8 rbus interfaces directly into the PC and apparently there are windows 7 drivers available but i have no direct experience with them.

What i ended up doing is :

I use the vs as a front end and as a monitor controller and headphone amp and use the digital out if i want to record up to two tracks at once. If i need to record more than two tracks its usuall a band laying down an entire performance life. I record directly onto the VS not involving reaper then. Then i send the tracks into reaper with the vfire while the band is taking a break, using an xp boot on my pc. Then i boot into windows 7 , and do overdubs using the digital out.

Yves
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #176
moreylc

After some stumbling around, I finally got the VS2480 control surface working! My biggest problem was that I failed to select "USR1" on the main page of the control surface screen inside the VS, so I was getting weird behavior because it was trying to behave like a Logic control surface. Anyhow, for novice hacks like myself, I found the following manual from Roland useful in trying to get this working:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media...ide%202011.pdf
moreylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #177
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreylc View Post
After some stumbling around, I finally got the VS2480 control surface working! My biggest problem was that I failed to select "USR1" on the main page of the control surface screen inside the VS, so I was getting weird behavior because it was trying to behave like a Logic control surface. Anyhow, for novice hacks like myself, I found the following manual from Roland useful in trying to get this working:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media...ide%202011.pdf
I assume you are using this in Reaper so what template are you using? HUI?

I find it odd they do not have a Sonar template but maybe that is the default.

Are you getting full functionality with Reaper?
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #178
moreylc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
I assume you are using this in Reaper so what template are you using? HUI?

Are you getting full functionality with Reaper?
See the first post in this thread. It is a custom VS2480 template for Reaper written by a few valuable forum members! And the control surface template for the VS2480 are given in the instructions...just need to select it after you set it up, which I didn't for a while.

As for "full functionality", well, the faders and transport controls work like a charm. Don't know about the other features yet, haven't messed with them. But of course the 2480 has all kinds of functions that aren't tapped when it is just used as a control surface; for example, I don't have it set up as an audio interface, like Yves does, as I am doing the control surface business over MIDI only. I don't have a firewire interface or anything like that. I used to use the VS Export program quite a bit running stuff from the VS to Reaper, but I'm going direct into Reaper now and just using the VS as a control surface. My VS doesn't have the "fix" and I just got tired of having to prime the pre-amps every time I recorded!
moreylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #179
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreylc View Post
See the first post in this thread. It is a custom VS2480 template for Reaper written by a few valuable forum members! And the control surface template for the VS2480 are given in the instructions...just need to select it after you set it up, which I didn't for a while.

As for "full functionality", well, the faders and transport controls work like a charm. Don't know about the other features yet, haven't messed with them. But of course the 2480 has all kinds of functions that aren't tapped when it is just used as a control surface; for example, I don't have it set up as an audio interface, like Yves does, as I am doing the control surface business over MIDI only. I don't have a firewire interface or anything like that. I used to use the VS Export program quite a bit running stuff from the VS to Reaper, but I'm going direct into Reaper now and just using the VS as a control surface. My VS doesn't have the "fix" and I just got tired of having to prime the pre-amps every time I recorded!
Sorry, I did not see your response to my questions until now and I appreciate you giving me a head's up. I mean surf's up!!!
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #180
twoleftfeet

Default from the dead

nothing like digging up an old thread
does anyone here still use the 2480 with reaper ? I am just now working on this, and I am having issues.
twoleftfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #181
dea-man

I have one and I'd like to use it as a control surface. Wish I could help you out. Maybe someone will come along and get us up to speed.