Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
dotpc
Human being with feelings

Default SWS / S&M Extension Mac OS Catalina 10.15+ xattr workaround

For extensions on Catalina or higher, you have to remove the Apple quarantine for them to run, in my case, this was done by running:

Code:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine ~/Library/Application\ Support/REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_sws-x86_64.dylib
dotpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
Tesgin

THANK YOU. This worked.

Similarly, FWIW to anyone else, to get other VST plugins to work:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST;/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3;/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
Tesgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
rdesanti

Default SWS 2.12.1 Build 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesgin View Post
THANK YOU.
Similarly, FWIW to anyone else, to get other VST plugins to work:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST;/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3;/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
This did NOT work.
NOW, NONE OF MY EXTENTIONS WORK!
YOUR HELP WOULD BE SINCERELY APPRECIATED!
PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENTS.
--Mac Mini, 3 GHz 2 core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, OSX Catalina V10.15.7 Crucial 1TB primary SSD, 500GB Samsung T5 SSD ext Audio drive,dual 27" displays, Reaper 64 bit latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie MR8 Mk 3 8" Monitors and Mackie VLZ 1404 mixer. 30 years in Audio.

Last edited by rdesanti; 02-12-2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: ADDED ATTACHMENTS
rdesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Victuur

I have been doing a clean install on my new Mac these last couple of days, and encountered my SWS not being recognized just tonight. I tried to get my sws extension to work using the system preferences 'allow anyway' while Reaper was trying to open but the timing always seemed off and it never worked. I don't like doing anything with the terminal as I wouldn't be able to fix anything I screwed up so I shy away from that.

This was just kind of a fluke that I thought of this, as I am not particularly computer savvy, but it worked!

With Reaper closed first open "system preferences" on the Mac go to "security & privacy" and unlock. Then go into user/library/application support/Reaper/User Plugins, then double click on the reaper_sws-x86_64.dylib file itself, and it will try to open into a text file, the message will pop up and you will see in the system preferences the warning along with in the lower right corner an "allow anyway" click on it, and the text file will open. close the text file. Now open Reaper, it went right thru for me. I opened it up three more times works every time all my extensions are there and working.

Hope this helps
Victuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
rdesanti

Default Still looking for answers here

I am having issues with Reapack which I guess involves SWS. Maybe need to go back to old reapack and SWS 2019 version? I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 MAC. Someone help me here!
--Mac Mini, 3 GHz 2 core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, OSX Catalina V10.15.7 Crucial 1TB primary SSD, 500GB Samsung T5 SSD ext Audio drive,dual 27" displays, Reaper 64 bit latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie MR8 Mk 3 8" Monitors and Mackie VLZ 1404 mixer. 30 years in Audio.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
rdesanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdesanti View Post
I am having issues with Reapack which I guess involves SWS. Maybe need to go back to old reapack and SWS 2019 version? I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 MAC. Someone help me here!
Reapack seems to have installed but I still have NO SWS NOTHING! HELP!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
nottooloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victuur View Post
With Reaper closed first open "system preferences" on the Mac go to "security & privacy" and unlock. Then go into user/library/application support/Reaper/User Plugins, then double click on the reaper_sws-x86_64.dylib file itself, and it will try to open into a text file, the message will pop up and you will see in the system preferences the warning along with in the lower right corner an "allow anyway" click on it, and the text file will open. close the text file. Now open Reaper.
This worked on my M1 Mini. Running the Intel version. So far all the plugins I've tried seem to be good.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
Dave 2099

I'm running the Arm beta on my M1 Mini. I lost access to more than half my plug-ins with the Catalina update, but today I was somehow able to get them back. Just playing around with the different workarounds suggested in this thread, including:

- Running the Apple quarantine-thwarting scripts provided by dotpc and Tesglin (much obliged!) with various plugins and folders specified
- Going into Preferences/VST/Rescan...plugins that failed to scan, and selecting those plugins, and re-scanning all paths for new/modified plugins
- In tandem with having System Preferences/Security & Privacy open and unlocked, so that when MacOS told me I couldn't open a plugin I could click "open anyway", fwiw

Sometimes it seemed to take repeating sequences of steps, like rescanning VSTs that failed to scan, rescanning the paths, restarting Reaper, etc. I'm not sure what combination of these steps worked, but something did. I've been able to recover many of the plugins that stopped working.

So I suggest playing around and experimenting. Word to the wise though, rdesanti ran the code to de-quarantine SWS and something went wrong. I thing I did was to create a new folder on my desktop containing plugins that stopped working, and I tried out Tesglin/dotpc's code on that folder, to see if anything else would be affected. Luckily for me I don't seem to have had any unwanted side effects.

rdesanti, have you had any luck since we heard from you last?

One issue I can't figure out is why js_ReaScriptAPI64.dylib doesn't work. Is it because it's not written for the ARM architecture yet, and the Rosetta bridge can't help it? I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts on this.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 2099 View Post
One issue I can't figure out is why js_ReaScriptAPI64.dylib doesn't work. Is it because it's not written for the ARM architecture yet, and the Rosetta bridge can't help it? I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts on this.
js_ReaScriptAPI64.dylib is x86_64. Extension plugins must match REAPER's architecture. REAPER for ARM64 can only load ARM64 plugins.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
Dave 2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
js_ReaScriptAPI64.dylib is x86_64. Extension plugins must match REAPER's architecture. REAPER for ARM64 can only load ARM64 plugins.
Thanks for confirming that.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #11
rstockm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
We made some progress here, but the PR is still open:

https://github.com/juliansader/js_ReaScriptAPI/pull/2

You may check out our interim fix:

https://github.com/Ultraschall/ultra...iptAPI64.dylib

It's a universal build.
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
Dave 2099

Thank you! I'll give those a try.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
mingustoo

Default still can't get sws to work M1 mini

Using the latest Reaper and sws and OSx. I have tried all the ideas in this thread as well as repeatedly codesigning. Does anyone have ANY other suggestions to get SWS working? Is there a god I can burn incense to?

+++DOH++ Went back to the SWS page and scrolled down a little further and found the ARM download. All good!

Last edited by mingustoo; 09-16-2022 at 07:28 PM.
mingustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:47 PM   #14
soundsvisual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victuur View Post
With Reaper closed first open "system preferences" on the Mac go to "security & privacy" and unlock. Then go into user/library/application support/Reaper/User Plugins, then double click on the reaper_sws-x86_64.dylib file itself, and it will try to open into a text file, the message will pop up and you will see in the system preferences the warning along with in the lower right corner an "allow anyway" click on it, and the text file will open. close the text file. Now open Reaper, it went right thru for me. I opened it up three more times works every time all my extensions are there and working.
Thank you
soundsvisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 05:29 PM   #15
P. WALLACE

When I try to install SWS it says to create folder: Library/application support/REAPER/UserPlugins

But this new arm Mac won't let me make any folders either under Mac HD or under Users!

Please help and thank you!
P. WALLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #16
cfillion

REAPER -> Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder

The UserPlugins is there and already exists.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote