Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-29-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
Cristina
Human being with feelings

Default Issues with Default 6 theme moving from Windows to Mac

Hi there! I just got one of those new Mac Mini Pro computers to use as a studio machine, replacing a Windows 10 machine. I'm using the same monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440. And I've been struggling today with how hard some of the text is to read in REAPER.

I have been able to change the font in the fx inserts and track titles to something that is good enough for me, (Helvetica bold seems to be easiest to read.) However, the vertical alignment of the text is not centered, and it's really bothering me. 😅 This can be seen in fx inserts, the input names, the track titles at the bottom, and under the pan knob as well.

I found this forum post asking about it a few years ago, so I wonder if it's been fixed somewhere that I just need to download? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232397

Anyway, I really like the default theme and would love any tips on how to maybe fix this vertical alignment issue. It's surprising to me how much of a difference it makes, but it does to me. It makes everything feel a bit off. And any tips in general on making the text sharper, or maybe on if it's possible to make the fx insert boxes just a tiny bit taller.. thank you!

For reference, I've attached screenshots of what this looks like on both Windows and Mac.
Attached Images
File Type: png Mac.png (90.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: png Windows.png (66.7 KB, 86 views)
Cristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:08 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
I'm using the same monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440.
Resolution doesn't tell the whole story, its actually about scaling. If things look smaller on your new computer (doesn't matter what OS) then the OS is probably running the screen at a different scale. This is set in your OS.

I put a scale readout in the top bar of this script if that would help.

I'm afraid the vertical alignment oddness is very tricky, inconsistent and remains unsolved. Its never a problem on Windows, and Reaper emulates windows drawing on other OSs (see swell), so somewhere in there something is happening.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:07 PM   #3
Cristina
Human being with feelings

Thank you for the reply! I was able to improve things by using an app called BetterDisplay that lets me adjust the scaling. 80% works pretty well for me. The vertical alignment issue is still there to some degree, but it's better enough that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Here's the link to the app, in case someone stumbles across this post in the future: https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay
Cristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:35 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Perhaps https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...hl86d72b76/mac.