Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #1
msmucr
Human being with feelings

Default Timecode Overlay video FX

Hi,

for first time I played little bit with v5 video processor, while thinking about some useful feature for me.
I came with small modification of included title overlay preset for timecode (HH:MM:SS:Frame) insertion. Default knob values should be at reasonable start point, but you can tweak it, as you need.
AFAIK besides basic things, there isn't much other variables available to video processor, so if you use for example project start offset, it has to be set manually using video FX parameters, but you can offset it, how you like.
Also it doesn't support drop frame timecode.

It can be maybe also useful for you, for example if you have maximized video window at another screen and it is on top of other windows or when you have another working units at your project (like bars,beats) and still like to watch timecode sometimes.
Also sometimes, there is delivered video with burned timecode, but it is very small or unreadable, so you can place timecode with better readability over it.

Just insert video processor with that preset either as a item fx, track or master fx.

Code:
// Timecode overlay

font="Arial";

//@param1:size 'text height' 0.1 0.01 0.5 0.25 0.01
//@param2:ypos 'y position' 0.90 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param3:xpos 'x position' 0.5 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param4:border 'border' 0.03 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param5:fgc 'text bright' 1.0 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param6:fga 'text alpha' 1.0 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param7:bgc 'bg bright' 0 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param8:bga 'bg alpha' 0.5 0 1 0.5 0.01
//@param9:h_off 'hours offset' 0 -23 23 0 1
//@param10:m_off 'minutes offset' 0 -59 59 0 1
//@param11:s_off 'seconds offset' 0 -59 59 0 1
//@param12:f_off 'frames offset' 0 -29 29 0 1

offset = 3600*h_off + 60*m_off + s_off + f_off/framerate;

time_value = time / (ceil(framerate)/framerate) + offset;

hours = time_value/3600;
minutes = (time_value / 60) % 60;
seconds = time_value % 60;
frames = (time_value - floor(time_value))*framerate;

#timecode = sprintf(#, "%02d:", hours);
#timecode += sprintf(#, "%02d:", minutes);
#timecode += sprintf(#, "%02d:", seconds);
#timecode += sprintf(#, "%02d", frames);
// #timecode += sprintf(#, "  %.3f s", time); // abs. time
// #timecode += sprintf(#, "%10d f", (time*framerate)); // abs. frames

gfx_blit(0,1);
gfx_setfont(size*project_h,font,'B');
gfx_str_measure(#timecode,txtw,txth);
yt = (project_h- txth*(1+border*2))*ypos;
gfx_set(bgc,bgc,bgc,bga);
gfx_fillrect(xpos * (project_w-txtw*(1+border*2)), yt, txtw*(1+border*2), txth*(1+border*2));
gfx_set(fgc,fgc,fgc,fga);
gfx_str_draw(#timecode,xpos * (project_w-txtw),yt+txth*border);
And finally pic or it didn't happen

Michal

Update 1: Improved handling of non-whole number framerates (23.976, 59.54 etc.)

Last edited by msmucr; 06-05-2016 at 02:30 AM. Reason: updated version for NTSC timecodes
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
babag

cool, msmucr. haven't yet used reaper video except for picture sync for edit/mix of audio. can that tc window be slid up to the top? i usually put it there as very little that requires sync occurs at the top but when on the bottom things like footsteps can get covered by the window. very useful feature.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
semiquaver

thank you!!!
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
cool, msmucr. haven't yet used reaper video except for picture sync for edit/mix of audio. can that tc window be slid up to the top?
Hi BabaG,

yes of course, position and size of inserted timecode can be freely modified.
Just adjust knobs y and x position according to your taste.
Default bottom center alignment was chosen just as a reasonable starting point for me.

Michal
Old 01-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
EpicSounds

Another feature request I can check off the old list. Thanks for doing this!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Another feature request I can check off the old list. Thanks for doing this!
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I don't understand, what do you mean by checking off the old list.
Could you explain it for me, please?

Michal

EDIT: sorry I've got it.. First I thought, you would like to add something to the script..
Old 01-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I don't understand, what do you mean by checking off the old list.
Could you explain it for me, please?

Michal

EDIT: sorry I've got it.. First I thought, you would like to add something to the script..
Yeah my list here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=167376
Old 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
msmucr

Quote:
Nice list!
I will definitely check that.

Michal
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
Claudiohbsantos

Thanks a lot for this, it's awesome. Already came in handy today
Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
airon

Grud, how did I miss this.

Did you post this in the JS Reascript forum as well ?

Thank you! ThankYouThankYouThankYou.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
msmucr

You're very welcome
Sorry, but to be honest, I wasn't at JSFX subforum for months, I usually go to Generic discussion via direct bookmark..
Hopefully I'll find some time for another video effects.. added API features like gfx_procrect() with 8-bit LUT offers its potential for next things.

Michal
Old 06-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #12
airon

Found a possible bug .

At 23.976 fps playback, the display seems to upcount a bit too much further down the timeline. Try in at 20-25 minutes to see the effect, comparing the transport clock to the one onscreen.

We really should ask Justin to give us a few simple functions to read out the current clock in an already formatted string. They had to work quite hard to get the clocks correct in Reaper during the past few years.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #13
Mottemania

This is great, man!
Mottemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:11 AM   #14
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Found a possible bug .

At 23.976 fps playback, the display seems to upcount a bit too much further down the timeline. Try in at 20-25 minutes to see the effect, comparing the transport clock to the one onscreen.

We really should ask Justin to give us a few simple functions to read out the current clock in an already formatted string. They had to work quite hard to get the clocks correct in Reaper during the past few years.
Hi,

I'm from PAL/25fps country, so I've tested the script mostly with whole number framerates.
But you're true with your observation.. I've tested it with recent Reaper and there seems to be bug in video processor.
I'm using variable "time" (or "project_time" it doesn't matter as it behaves the same), which should return current item or project time in seconds.. that is input value for my TC calculation.
However when non-integer framerates like 23.976 are used, this variable returns incorrect time. You can see currenttime in seconds, if you uncomment last line with string preparation
// #timecode += sprintf(#, " %.3fs", time);

I'm afraid, it's not possible to fix in the script. I'll try to report that.

And of course, if there will be some another variable with formatted timecode string to avoid manual calculation, it would be fantastic, because it would also allow drop-frame timecodes, which is also currently not possible to do with script.

Michal

EDIT.. my bad, there is also another thing related to rounding.. I'll look at this, hopefully improve it and will post an update.

Last edited by msmucr; 06-03-2016 at 03:19 AM.
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:54 AM   #15
Sumalc

Very useful, thank you so much for this script.

By the way, thank you very much also EpicSounds for your presets.

Last edited by Sumalc; 06-03-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:29 AM   #16
msmucr

Sorry for being so slow with fix.. I was bit busy.

I've updated first post with new version with different calculation, which respects mentioned NTSC based timecodes, running in different speed than real time (~ 0.01% slower).

Michal

PS.
Bug, I've mentioned in previous post, is related to "time" and "project_time" Video FX processor variables, which returns different values, while "time" being correct.. This wasn't the reason, why 23.976 didn't work, just confused me after quick look.
In future, I'd like to look also to mentioned DF support, which requires TC calculation from absolute frame count.. Unfortunately there isn't any variable in video processor, which allows detection of project DF state, so there would be another control to enable DF calculation.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #17
plush2

Very nicely done msmucr! I tried the script when you first posted it and noticed the magic framerate (23.976/29.97) issue. I tried unsuccessfully to fix it myself. I apologize for not reporting the problem immediately. I find myself using 23.976 all the time so this will be very handy.

Technically speaking the DF readout in Reaper should have a semicolon (00:00:00;00) preceding the frames count to indicate it is a drop frame rate. Perhaps they could add that and a call to detect the DF state of the timecode at the same time.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #18
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Very nicely done msmucr! I tried the script when you first posted it and noticed the magic framerate (23.976/29.97) issue. I tried unsuccessfully to fix it myself. I apologize for not reporting the problem immediately. I find myself using 23.976 all the time so this will be very handy.

Technically speaking the DF readout in Reaper should have a semicolon (00:00:00;00) preceding the frames count to indicate it is a drop frame rate. Perhaps they could add that and a call to detect the DF state of the timecode at the same time.
Thanks. As Airon have mentioned, an ideal solution would be access to complete formatted timecode string.
With regards to DF, there is only time and project_time variable, so there is no way how to detect DF is being used from the context of script.
Essentially, DF means, 2 frames are dropped every minute, unless the minute number is divisable by ten. So DF TC calculation should be based on absolute frames rather than time in seconds like in case of current script. Semicolon frames separator would be then just icing on the cake.
I've already briefly checked that and found nice algorithm for such calculation.. When I'll find some time, I will post another update.

Michal
Old 06-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #19
mrlimbic

If it helps here are some drop frame calculations below for 29.97 in my code that I adapted from Andrew Duncan. http://andrewduncan.net/timecodes/

Remember that relevant frame durations are 1001/30000 and 1001/24000 and 1001/60000 for NTSC. Replace 1001 with 1000 for non NTSC.

Don't try to use the number 29.97 or 23.98 in calculations. Use how they are derived.

Also it turned out easier and more accurate for me to do many calculations in Vordio using rational numbers instead of floats.

I learned this from FCPX where all times are done as rationals. It makes mixed frame and sample rate calculations really easy.

Code:
<audio lane="-1" offset="33117926400/720000s" ref="r3" duration="8697600/720000s" start="33117926400/720000s"
To convert from reaper's floats I just multiply time by project sample rate over project sample rate and round to nearest sample to get a rational.

Code:
	public long toFrames(long h, long m, long s, long f) {
		if (ntsc) {			
			if (drop) {
				if (timebase == 30) {
					// Formula from http://andrewduncan.net/timecodes/
					long totalMinutes = 60 * h + m;
					return 108000 * h + 1800 * m + 30 * s + f - 2 * (totalMinutes - totalMinutes / 10);					

public long[] toHMSF(long frames) {
		if (ntsc) {
			if (drop) {
				if (timebase == 30) {
					// Formula from http://andrewduncan.net/timecodes/
					long D = frames / 17982;
					long M = frames % 17982;
					frames += 18*D + 2*((M - 2) / 1798);
//				    (If -2 div 1798 doesn't return 0, you'll have to special-case M = 0 or 1.)
					long f = frames % 30;
					long s = (frames / 30) % 60;
					long m =  ((frames / 30) / 60) % 60;
					long h   = (((frames / 30) / 60) / 60) % 24;
					return new long[] { h, m, s, f };

Last edited by mrlimbic; 06-05-2016 at 09:05 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
msmucr

mrlimbic, thanks for sharing of snippet with your code.
Actually the algorithm, which I'd like to adapt to EEL, is the one by Andrew Duncan
To me it looks like very elegant solution for DF calculations.
Looking forward to try it!

Best regards,

Michal

BTW. I've never tried Vordio, but it looks very cool addition to Reaper in post workflows.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
mrlimbic

Quote:
BTW. I've never tried Vordio, but it looks very cool addition to Reaper in post workflows.
Especially for FCPX post REAPER is definitely the best matching DAW for the way it handles audio.

Every audio feature in FCPX has an equivalent in REAPER which is why I based Vordio around REAPER. It was the only DAW with the necessary features.

FCPX is not track based, there are no tracks, only parent/child objects with individual configurations & metadata attached. So doing something like only using channel 3 from 8 mics on a single clip is basically item channel modes in REAPER. You also need unfussy tracks that can take any material like REAPER has. There is no way in most DAWs to only assign channel 3&4 of an item on a stereo track. REAPER it is easy.

For each role tagged in FCPX, you get a parent track in REAPER. So you can send a particular actor's mic to it's own section in the project, just by tagging a clip.

The translation from FCPX->RPP involves no loss at all, unlike using AAF where you will lose a lot of metadata in the process and have to start splitting files to even make it work.

There is also a pretty unique way of reconforming in Vordio. It is not timeline region based like traditional approaches, but individual item tracking based. So it works on a shot by shot granularity and is non destructive of edge work.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 06-05-2016 at 09:39 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
lowellben

Thank you for making this. I cannot thank you enough. Overlay timecode in Reaper's video window was missing for me for so long. This preset works perfectly.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
mrlimbic

Quote:
mrlimbic, thanks for sharing of snippet with your code.
Just wondering.. Have you started a ReaPack repository for your scripts/FX?

ReaPack makes it much easier for people to install & keep up to date with what scripts/FX are available. It was all very spread out before.

Here's a demo of the first script I just added to my new "mrlimbic" repository.

https://vimeo.com/album/3294077/video/178488665
Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #24
musicbynumbers

This "should" be amazing so thanks in advance but..

I can't get it working yet

EDIT: got it working! I forgot I had to control+S the pasted code in the video processor before saving a preset doh!

Works now and is great! Should really be a default preset in reaper though Justin/Schwa! This is essential for a lot of media work!

Maybe I'm being dumb but I tried to paste your code in several different ways and still can't make it work.

Tried pasting and saving as preset to video processor effect but get an error of bad code.

Tried pasting as if it was a JS effect into an empty text doc with no extension and that didn't work either.

What's the right way? thanks!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 10-22-2017 at 04:56 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #25
DynamicK

Thanks...added to my list of very useful scipts
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
Gloops

Hello!
I will be interested to have exactly the same thing with the Beats of measures.
4/4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4...
Musically
Gloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #27
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloops View Post
Hello!
I will be interested to have exactly the same thing with the Beats of measures.
4/4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4...
Musically
If you don't need it directly as an overlay for the video window you can use the visual metronome feature, look it up in the videos...
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 AM   #28
Gloops

I know this function and that's exactly what I would like to embed in a video ...
Gloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #29
nosucherror

Thanks msmucr!
nosucherror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #30
Megagoth1702

Wow, amazing! Thank you!

Video guy forgot to burn in Time Code into Picture, now I have it here anyway!

Reaper FTW! Thank you so much!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #31
PelF

Thanks msmucr, but how to display the correct timecode when the project will not start from zero time?
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper_tc.PNG (30.1 KB, 682 views)
PelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #32
_Stevie_

Got a similar issue, my project starts with 10:00:00:00 and the TC shows 00:00:00:00
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #33
EpicSounds

there's an hours offset parameter, what else is needed?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #34
_Stevie_

Oh snap, overlooked that one, thanks Jon!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #35
mrlimbic

I noticed in the new iPlug2 framework (just released) it also has a really easy way to make C++ reaper extensions.

It also contains some example code to access the reaper video window and draw over it (which was undocumented I think).

That could read whole reaper API including project offset and any other settings.

A timecode extension would only need one action - toggle timecode display on/off.

Then using a video processor and configuring it would be unecessary.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #36
Swi

Default Thank you!!

Such a great tool! One thing I've noticed is that when I'm rendering a quicktime, the timecode that I generate ends up being slightly off from the windowburn on the original video file; (10 seconds sometimes, sometimes 20-30)

I've adjusted the offset knobs, and it matches perfectly when I'm clicking around in the project and playing from there, so it only appears off in a rendered quicktime.

Anything I can do about this?

Thanks again!!
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #37
PelF

Quote:
there's an hours offset parameter, what else is needed?
I have several video clips on the timeline. According to the time codes in the scenario, each clip must start from time zero. I click on the beginning of the clip and set zero in the project from the cursor. However, the time code overlay shows the time measured from the project beginning of the timeline. Adjusting the offset for each clip, when you need for example 15 clips on timeline, very slow down your work.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #38
maczook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelF View Post
I have several video clips on the timeline. According to the time codes in the scenario, each clip must start from time zero. I click on the beginning of the clip and set zero in the project from the cursor. However, the time code overlay shows the time measured from the project beginning of the timeline. Adjusting the offset for each clip, when you need for example 15 clips on timeline, very slow down your work.
There's 2 options I can see working for you, I would try either:

1. Putting each video clip onto a new track and lining up the start points, so they all start at "00:00:00:00" with the overlay

or

2. Putting an instance of the plugin onto each video item, and using the offset knobs to have them all start at "00:00:00:00". If you want to have all of your video clips on the same track, and have the overlay start at "00:00:00:00" for each of them, I think this is your best option; the timecode overlay preset for the video processor is very small so you should be able to run it on 15+ clips in a session on a single track without a problem.

Hope this helps!
maczook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #39
Winfield

Default Thanks msmucr!

This is great (and should be in the installer)!
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #40
PelF

@maczook Thank you for your tips, I'll try.