Old 02-03-2023, 01:06 PM   #1
MikeFrisk
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper closing itself when not in use

Hi,

Reaper has started closing itself if I leave it open, for example, overnight. It's super annoying since I have to start my workflow with opening large projects in Reaper which takes a long time.

Anyone else with this problem?
Is there a fix or an option to set it up so it doesn't do this?
MikeFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
karbomusic

I'd imagine it's not closing but rather being closed or crashing. Any chance your sound card or similar is being powered down via power/sleep settings which could potentially cause Reaper to freakout when it suddenly disappears.

Regardless, based on your details, it sounds like something going on when the machine sleeps.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:01 AM   #3
sonicowl

I had similar problem with old Midiman usb midi interface. Try unplugging usb interfaces, and see if helps.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:19 AM   #4
Wallaby

Default bios

May you switch off all power saving options in the windows system and in the BIOS... ?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:00 AM   #5
MikeFrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
May you switch off all power saving options in the windows system and in the BIOS... ?
I don't have any sleeping options enabled
Old 02-04-2023, 02:01 AM   #6
MikeFrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
I had similar problem with old Midiman usb midi interface. Try unplugging usb interfaces, and see if helps.
I run an Audient iD14, never had this problem until a couple of months ago.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:02 AM   #7
MikeFrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'd imagine it's not closing but rather being closed or crashing. Any chance your sound card or similar is being powered down via power/sleep settings which could potentially cause Reaper to freakout when it suddenly disappears.

Regardless, based on your details, it sounds like something going on when the machine sleeps.
Maybe, but that seems odd since it never crashes while I'm using it.
I don't think my soundcard has that option enabled, I will check though, and I never had this problem until reasently. No hardware has been changed.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:00 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFrisk View Post
Maybe, but that seems odd since it never crashes while I'm using it.
It's not going to go into sleep mode while you are using it; only when you let it be for some period of time.

If related, it's in windows advanced power settings, don't power down USB or something like that.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:52 AM   #9
tonalstates

Yes! I have the same issue before it didn't happen, a few months before like you mentioned, now if I leave reaper open for maybe ~40min-1hour it just freezes with the beachball and I have to close and open all the projects, which when working a bunch at the same time it gets really anoying if it happens daily. I'm on Mac and haven't changed any sleep settings or anything, pretty sure its reaper and not the computer.

The only thing I can discern is that this mostly happens if I leave the window open and I don't put the computer to sleep, it just goes by itself, when I resume the application is frozen but if I minimize the application window it doesn't happen that often, like once or twice every now and then.. A few times I've minimized the window but left a plugin window open and it still happened so that's why I'm pretty sure its reaper and not a hidden setting.

Devs, how would we even begin to troubleshoot this? Help!
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:35 AM   #10
karbomusic

The chances are high that reaper becomes active when you wake the computer and something Reaper needs (likely hardware) is no longer or not yet available post sleep. Like a USB soundcard or USB Midi device etc. That doesn't have to be it... be "we've seen it a million times" here, so it shouldn't be ignored until it is confirmed to not be...

The huge clue is if it happens when the computer sleeps/wakes up.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:49 AM   #11
tonalstates

Nope, at least from my side nothing changes, I've had the same setup and everything connected the same for like 4 years now. I'm pretty sure its not anything like that because it would happen with other software that also use my audio and midi devices and ive never seen it with anything else. It looks like a memory leak or something from my side, because the CPU gets high

Here's the thread I opened at the time, which was unfortunately utterly ignored
*sigh*

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=274596
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:58 AM   #12
xpander

Any Problem Report logs? How to report bugs and crashes
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:03 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Nope, at least from my side nothing changes, I've had the same setup and everything connected the same for like 4 years now. I'm pretty sure its not anything like that because it would happen with other software that also use my audio and midi devices and ive never seen it with anything else. It looks like a memory leak or something from my side, because the CPU gets high

Here's the thread I opened at the time, which was unfortunately utterly ignored
*sigh*

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=274596
As suggested earlier, unplug various USB devices etc. that Reaper may use, then see if it continues to occur. If it only does it when the computer sleeps, sleep only does one thing... turn stuff off, save some stuff to disk, and go into a low power state. Reaper will absolutely go into a not responding state if some piece of hardware hasn't properly woken back up.

It doesn't have to be that but we have we rule out by testing instead all of us of guessing. That way it's out of the way and doesn't need to be discussed again, but until then.

If you want a magic setting, change the preference that releases the sound card when reaper is minimized. Then see if it still does it. Either way, unless someone has seen your exact issue and chimes in (it's possible), you need to take action and test things in an organized fashion.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:31 AM   #14
karbomusic

Also, if you look in the bug reports forum, there may be a sticky that explains how to get the crash report which may point directly at the root cause.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653
Old 02-05-2023, 02:54 AM   #15
MikeFrisk

Quote:
The chances are high that reaper becomes active when you wake the computer and something Reaper needs (likely hardware) is no longer or not yet available post sleep. Like a USB soundcard or USB Midi device etc. That doesn't have to be it... be "we've seen it a million times" here, so it shouldn't be ignored until it is confirmed to not be...

The huge clue is if it happens when the computer sleeps/wakes up.
Mine doesn't seem to crash, it only turns of.
It might be when the computer goes to sleep but it still has to do with reaper since I haven't changed the sleep settings ever and this just started happening out of nowhere.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #16
MikeFrisk

Anyone else have any ideas or the same problem?
Old 02-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #17
karbomusic

Ooops, not sure if I'm conflating you with the OP (sorry) but as much info as you can give would surely be helpful. I do highly suggest to list any hardware Reaper uses, USB, USB MIDI etc.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-09-2023 at 07:33 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:37 AM   #18
MikeFrisk

Quote:
Ooops, not sure if I'm conflating you with the OP (sorry) but as much info as you can give would surely be helpful. I do highly suggest to list any hardware Reaper uses, USB, USB MIDI etc.
Any updates on this problem. It still happens and I still haven't found a solution.

I have a M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini and a Audient ID14 mk2 connected, that's it.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:01 AM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFrisk View Post
Any updates on this problem. It still happens and I still haven't found a solution.

I have a M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini and a Audient ID14 mk2 connected, that's it.
Do this test before bed please:

Open reaper, change the sound card to the dummy driver first so that it doesn't use the audient at all:

Now physically unplug both the Oxygen and the Audient from the computer.

Restart Reaper fresh without loading any projects, and let it set without using the computer at all. Like right before you go to bed. Let me know if Reaper is still running when you wake up the next morning.