Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default latency problems...

Hi to everybody!I always had this problem with reaper.In short, It`s always overloading during playback (at least I think so, because it`s crackling or so) even if I use a very few vst/vsti. I had upgraded my hardware a little bit.Now I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, RAM 8,175.43 MB, Windows 7 64 bit, audio interface Lexicon Lambda. I also work with 2d\3d graphics (their requirements are very high)and everything is pretty stable and no problem at all with them. So what am I doing wrong with Reaper? Couple of years ago I used Nuendo with very low level hardware - no problem too. What could you advise in that case? Maybe tweak some settings, then what? Thanx in advance!
BTW even if I set the highest latency of Lambda`s driver, it`s no use.

Last edited by 111; 07-21-2014 at 01:08 PM.
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Aesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post
Hi to everybody!I always had this problem with reaper.In short, It`s always overloading during playback (at least I think so, because it`s crackling or so) even if I use a very few vst/vsti. I had upgraded my hardware a little bit.Now I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, RAM 8,175.43 MB, Windows 7 64 bit, audio interface Lexicon Lambda. I also work with 2d\3d graphics (their requirements are very high)and everything is pretty stable and no problem at all with them. So what am I doing wrong with Reaper? Couple of years ago I used Nuendo with very low level hardware - no problem too. What could you advise in that case? Maybe tweak some settings, then what? Thanx in advance!
BTW even if I set the highest latency of Lambda`s driver, it`s no use.
Are you using the correct driver and long enough buffer?
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesis View Post
Are you using the correct driver and long enough buffer?
I use the only Lambda`s official and original driver, but know nothing about buffer longness, is that audio buffering in my picture? then it`s no use... here`s what I have (2 pictures below). I also would like to work in 48khz mode but there`s even more crackles, though lambda officially supports 44.1 and 48 as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ??????????.jpg (40.0 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg ??????????2.jpg (65.4 KB, 304 views)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
hopi

perhaps try the WASAPI instead of ASIO...

ASIO should work just fine though... it does here but I don't have a Lambda...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
perhaps try the WASAPI instead of ASIO...

ASIO should work just fine though... it does here but I don't have a Lambda...
well, with wasapi that`s better a little bit)48 khz but minimal latency is 10... I`m still looking for the best solution and other advices are appreciated, but anyway, thanx)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Pickasso

Try:
Reaper preferences/audio device page- check 'request block size' box.
Experiment with different values until glitches are gone- 64,128,256,512,1024

Only problem with high buffer (512 or 1024) is if you are actually record monitoring, the latency delay increases. What I do here is set the session with the minimum vsts and tracks if record monitoring, so the buffer can be set at 128. If I have lots of fx and vsti, the session is set at 1024, and I use a different method of monitoring, using the zero latency soundcard routing.

Issue with changing buffer settings: Are your recorded tracks lining up perfectly in time as they were precisely played? No? Try this:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...erface_Latency
Pickasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
hopi

I would say that since WASAPI was better than your naive ASIO driver, it points to the problem... which I'd suspect is the driver.

Your computer spec's are good enough to work better than what you are experiencing so I would be looking at a newer driver IF they have one or a different audio interface.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
ValeryOrloff

Default Reaper - most optimized for CPU-RAM usage

You need to look for hardware-driver problem, because reaper is the most optimal use of resources: > 100 Fx-plugins = about 35-50% CPU usage in Intel i5 with 8Gb RAM
Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #9
ivansc

Try googling this:

lexicon lambda latency

seems like you are not alone.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Try googling this:

lexicon lambda latency

seems like you are not alone.
http://www.musicradar.com/us/reviews...n-lambda-22509

yes... seems like Lambda is Lameduh...

suggest sell it and get a decent interface with real ASIO drivers
Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

Thanx to all of you guys! I really think about selling it. That latency and impossibility of turning it down or working with 48 khz have completely freaked me out. I think I deserve better working with my system=) But what can you advise buying instead this? I`ve bought recently an instrumental/mic/line preamp with phantom power, so I don`t need all of it to be in an audio interface (midi in\out can be bought separately too). So now I`m looking just a stable on windows 7 64 device compensating low fuctionality with a better quality and low latency, and not much more expensive than Lambda. Can you suggest smth? I can`t decide for a couple of days! There are too many negative reviews about every soundcard. So personal experience is very saluted!)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
bluzkat

I've been using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for the past year or so, and its rock solid and sounds great.

I don't know what your budget is you can find these for around $229 usd.

A decent interface makes all the difference when you're working with audio.

See here: http://www.native-instruments.com/en...plete-audio-6/.

Last edited by bluzkat; 07-21-2014 at 12:31 PM.
bluzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
hopi

here is what I can tell you...

I personally have used mostly m-audio interfaces, usb and fw...but what I have is from before AVID bought and sold m-audio, when what they made was pretty good. What they offer today seems not so great IMO.

Focusrite seems to be the major player these days... we just added one of their 18i20 interface to a friends mac system [I'm pc thanks just the same]

That interface is very good, but maybe more than you want... however, you can often find them on ebay [look for the dealer Audiodeluxe] at good prices... he sells factory refurbished units that include the full warranty.

Now I guess your pre amp would most likely be redundant if you get one of the focusrite units [even the smaller ones] since they do have good preamps and also 48 v power.

I guess I'd go look around at their various sizes and see what works for you.

btw... the title of this thread is ummm... misleading? perhaps latency problems would be better???

Last edited by hopi; 07-21-2014 at 12:41 PM.
hopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
EpicSounds

That interface came out in 2006. You can do a lot better for way less money these days. I also suspect the issue is with the drivers since they haven't been updated since 2010.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
btw... the title of this thread is ummm... misleading? perhaps latency problems would be better???
done)
Well, about budget, new Lambda costs $200, so preferable price is about it, may be higher a little bit. I think I can pick up Native Instruments TRAKTOR AUDIO 6, though some people warned about driver problems too. Other people say that many focusrite cards are pretty noisy, such as scarlett e.g. But all of them agree that standalone pre amp wouldn`t be redundant with any cards of that level) Anyway very useful info, especially about M-audio sad story... I`ve already considered some of their cards)But now it seems if not considering driver problems, Native Instruments is good enough... I wish I`ve known its latency, however I`ve already seen several posts about latency problem with that.Nevertheless maybe I should dig in focusrite`s line

Last edited by 111; 07-21-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

One man sells used DigiDesign Mbox for 85$ and claims that everything works perfect in windows 7 32\64. I googled, it seems to be a very expensive card though old...Do you know smth about it?
Fun thing, in decription it said that latency is zero, but ASIO 1.0 How so??)

Anyway right now considering Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 or Native...

Last edited by 111; 07-21-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
hopi

Quote:
One man sells used DigiDesign Mbox for 85$ and claims that everything works perfect in windows 7 32\64. I googled, it seems to be a very expensive card though old...Do you know smth about it?
Fun thing, in decription it said that latency is zero, but ASIO 1.0 How so??)

Anyway right now considering Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 or Native...
let me put it simply DO NOT GET ANY MBOX!

here is a new 2i4 [not refurb or used]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCUSRITE-SC...item540b797b84

from a good seller ...it's in your price range
Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
msmucr

Default Focusrite Scarlett range

Hi,
i can also recommend Scarletts. I have bought 2i2 and 2i4 models for my friends. Tested on MacOS 10.7 and Windows Vista/7.
From practical experience with it, i can say, for given price, it is pretty good. I didn't have any problems with drivers and various software - Reaper, Samplitude, FCP, AVID (voiceovers).. I can't recall lowest possible working latency, but it was somewhere around 3ms.
Only thing i would like to mention is, that is good, that you have another analog pre. That is IMO, weakest point of that interfaces in comparison with more expensive ones. With higher preamp gains, it start to sound bit anemic and it is very easy to clip Hi-Z input with for instance hotter active bass. Anyway, in that price range it is good and it is small tax for implementation of convenient powering from USB bus.
And if you will feed it with line level signals and hit sweet spot of chain, it can sounds really good.

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #19

Quote:
here is a new 2i4 [not refurb or used]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCUSRITE-SC...item540b797b84

from a good seller ...it's in your price range
Thanx! i really appreciate your help, but it seems that good seller doesn`t send to my country, of course others do but the deliverance usually almost doubles the final price. A year ago I asked a friend to order from ebay one chinese guitar pedal as it was cheap at twice the price than original, but when he brought it to my birthday he said he paid more than original pedal costs in our shops)

Right now I`m addicted to scarlett 2i2 and external midi, don`t see a point in an elder version... however 2i4 has some extra unbalanced line outputs...Don`t really know if I need them. Thanx, Michal!3ms would be enough. But could you explain what is "sweet spot of chain"?) Really can`t figure it...sorry for my foolishness!

Last edited by 111; 07-22-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #20
msmucr

Quote:
Thanx, Michal! But could you explain what is "sweet spot of chain"?) Really can`t figure it...sorry for my foolishness!
Hi 111,

i have meant, best sounding setting of different gains at your recording chain. For instance you can have microphone, analog channel strip and Scarlett.
Channel strip has input gain for mic-pre and output volume. Scarlett has its gain pot with 45dB range. It is about combination of these three controls.

Practically, I felt with two pieces, i tried, that Scarlett sounds best (clean, open, while retaining full bodied sound), when it has its gain control at cca 20% of pot range to reach approximately -6dBFS with recorded signal peaks.
I then used channel strip output volume to adjust recording levels.
(if i would reversed that, lowered output volume at strip and maxed input gain at Scarlett, it won't sounds so good. Similarly, when i plug mic or instrument directly to Scarlett).

Generally speaking, it is just example and nobody can tell you exact numbers as every chain, instrument and performance is different. By usage of external preamp, you have another variable, which can be possibly beneficial for your recording. There are different preamp constructions, some pieces has output line-amplifiers, some has attenuators. Some have its valued sound, when pused hard to create harmonic coloration, which attributes to fatter or more aggressive sound, which could be appropriate for recorded material.
So that mentioned level "Sweet spot" will be always different and it is necessary to try it.

I hope, i clarified it little bit.

Michal
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 AM   #21

Oh yeah, now it`s clear! Thanx)
Now my main task is to find smb to buy Lambda
Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 AM   #22

Can someone say smth about ALVA NANOFACE?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #23
ValeryOrloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I've been using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for the past year or so, and its rock solid and sounds great.

I don't know what your budget is you can find these for around $229 usd.

A decent interface makes all the difference when you're working with audio.

See here: http://www.native-instruments.com/en...plete-audio-6/.

+1
AudioKontrol + Reaper = absolutely love, latency ---> 0
Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #24
alex1073

Take a look here.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #25

Thanx.So, focusrite & native instruments are leaders so far...
I`m still interested in that Nanoface, they say the quality is much better than others of its price but latency is high
Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #26
alex1073

Quote:
Thanx.So, focusrite & native instruments are leaders so far...
I`m still interested in that Nanoface, they say the quality is much better than others of its price but latency is high
Well, Just like hopi I have a couple of old M-Audio small interfaces and still use one of them. It's perfect for my home setup, but tbh I don't do much recording at home. So, I don't really know all those listed interfaces except for Focusrite and PreSounus that I could check out and both are really good.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #27

Well, it seems like a lottery, just randomly buy and see if it`s good or not)
BTW Lambda was bought after I tried it at friend`s home studio, it seemed pretty normal
Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #28
hopi

IMO you are torturing yourself needlessly...

buy the focusrite from a seller that offers a decent return policy... try it out.

you started with a latency problem, so why on urff would you look at something with known latency issues???
Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #29
grayter1

I'll pile on with what everyone else is saying. I picked up a Scarlett 18i20 and love it. Rock solid performance, great customer support and they sound great. I've even used it with my iPad.

Get the one that you can afford and get to work...

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #30
hopi

yeah.... the OP's budget was less but I too would suggest getting the 18i20 instead of the lesser ones.... again, I'd talk with the seller Audiodeluxe on ebay about some of the 'used' units he has for sale.

Here is the reason for talking with him:

He IS an authorized dealer for Focusrite.
We bought one of his 'used' units.
It turned out to have a bad on\off power switch.

We spoke to focusrite directly about this... they sent us back to Audiodeluxe who, as an authorized dealer said it was a 'refurbished' unit and was fully covered by the 1 year warranty... and he provided the paperwork to focusrite and they sent out a new unit.

A little hassle but we ended up with the 18i20, still with full warranty for about 300 bucks instead of 500... good enuff for me, thanks.

so... suggest go to ebay, search 18i20 and look for the seller Audiodeluxe, and then contact him about the unit you see there.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #31

I don`t doubt that guy is trusty and etc but I saw he doesn`t seem to send goods to my land) there are intermediary`s but for what, because I can buy them in a shop near me, much cheaper than form ebay with delivery. Thanx for paying attention to that problem) But acquisition isn`t at all problem for me. I just think about what exactly to buy. Several people are for Sacarlett, others for native instruments)other interfaces I think don`t pass to the final round) Scarlett is cheaper a little bit however...but if komplete edition 6 is better in smth...

Last edited by 111; 07-23-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #32
msmucr

Quote:
I just think about what exactly to buy. Several people are for Sacarlett, others for native instruments)others I think don`t pass to the final round) Scarlett is cheaper a little bit however...but if komplete edition 6 is better in smth...
Hmm, i think you've got some list of entry-level USB interfaces, which are software-wise relatively trouble free for users here, so it will be definitely improvement over your situation with Lexicon.
To further confuse situation, I would also add Steinberg UR22/44 to your list. :-) Although i don't have first hand experience with it, several my trustworthy friends have and saying, it is also good price/value and maybe will suits you as well.
So i would take that as base (as it is probably working , compare specs and check, what will be possibly useful for me.
Model ranges and features don't completely overlap and it is just up to your needs.
eg.
How much analog I/Os? Which ones symmetrical? Next some exclusive features of particular interfaces.. Need MIDI? Need SPDIF I/O? Like hardware DSP effects during tracking?... Like rather red brushed metal, big knob on top or prefer to get bundled Cubase for some tasks? :-)

Aside from that, we for instance have kind of customer protection by law. If i order something via internet from local e-shop, i can return it within two weeks.. No questions asked, no matter if is it sound card or washing machine.. :-) I don't know, if you can apply same thing in Russia, but it is ideal, if you would like to physically test and don't like overthinking.

Michal
Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #33
hopi

Quote:
I don`t doubt that guy is trusty and etc but I saw he doesn`t seem to send goods to my land) there are intermediary`s but for what, because I can buy them in a shop near me, much cheaper than form ebay with delivery. Thanx for paying attention to that problem) But acquisition isn`t at all problem for me. I just think about what exactly to buy. Several people are for Sacarlett, others for native instruments)other interfaces I think don`t pass to the final round) Scarlett is cheaper a little bit however...but if komplete edition 6 is better in smth...
oh I see my bad I did not notice your location... well hey, if you can get focusrite cheaper in a local shop... just do it.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #34
DBMusic

Get a loan...buy RME.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Aside from that, we for instance have kind of customer protection by law. If i order something via internet from local e-shop, i can return it within two weeks.. No questions asked, no matter if is it sound card or washing machine.. :-) I don't know, if you can apply same thing in Russia, but it is ideal, if you would like to physically test and don't like overthinking.

Michal
Our laws are pretty different)returning only if`s not working somehow... I know some guys who wanted to return their audio equipment baught from ebay, they were denied. Besides if it works, I can`t be sure if the next card would be better) What I don`t need, that`s DSP...And where do you take smiles here?

Maybe when my Lambda is sold, there will appear purely new card, surpassing all that exist now :lol:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMusic View Post
Get a loan...buy RME.
I of course can do this in time (hate getting a loan) but don`t see a point, having only 1 device of relatively high level in sound chain won`t change the situation critically. I considered Nano face from RME subsidiary, but all of them shouldn`t be comfortable for me in controlling.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #37
ivansc

NANOFACE is not by all accounts from a RME subsidiary.
The drivers are reported as not anywhere near as good as RME.
I bought a RME Babyface after having problems with Saffire6 and Scarlett2i4 on my i5 8gb Win7 64bit laptop and it performs really really well.

Many people do fine with Scarlett, so I think I just had a bad mix of hardware for the focusrite drivers. BVut I would still favour the Komplete6.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #38

Ok, maybe later rme Babyface)but its construction seems to be fragile, and several people reported about problems with wheel when it does smth different of which you wanted to do after some time of using, don`t know how to formulate it right in English)