Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
capn slugo
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt/Reaper disatorama

After adding an NI library, Kontakt will not load ANY instruments when running as a VST in Reaper.

After adding Symphony Essentials Percussion and letting Native Access install it, I can no longer load ANY instruments in kontakt hosted in new Reaper projects.

The weird/ scary thing is is that Reaper and Kontakt function fine when I run My big ridiculous template with scores of instances of kontakt and hundreds of tracks. My projects load fine and they contain kontakt instances of factory and custom instruments that load rapidly & fine. I can edit/open/close kontakt in those projects no problem.

The daunting problem is: When I open a virgin reaper project, add a track , run kontakt as a VST ..... when I load ANY instrument reaper/kontakt gets REALLY SERIOUSLY hung up. Even summoning the task manger is a challenge. Way more drama than your average reaper crash.

Even If I create a "new instrument" reaper will hang for roughly a minute and a half before creating the empty instrument.

When it hangs, kontakt doesn't do it's little missing sample routine prompting where to look. Seems like it doesn't even get that far. The usual prompt appears in and says "loading"

In stand along mode Kontakt "seems" to work fine.

Did the dance all day ,, moving libraries around Updating Kontakt & Reaper.

As a workaround attempt I even stripped 450 or so tracks, put reaper on a new track in the same project BUT gets hung up loading instruments ...so it's even a stranger problem.

I fight Reaper and Kontakt all day ,every day and I've seen weird bugs and dealt with them- but this one seems apocalyptic. My system is fairly new / I'm fairly sure it's not a hardware problem .

Anybody have trouble like this after adding NI libraries via Native Access?
capn slugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
RobertP

I don't have a solution and am pretty dumb about this sort of thing but...

I assume you updated the database in kontakt as a standalone before using on a track

One solution to a problem I had in Reaper/kontakt hanging was to arm the track before adding kontakt, before adding instruments, and when deleting/removing instruments - never did get to the bottom of this and so assumed it was 'something' in my setup.

NI Access is fallible so I would check the install paths in access - I seem to remember you can do this in Access and in kontakt - if, of course, they show in the kontakt database.

NI help are pretty good in my experience

Good luck
Old 10-18-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Hmmm.

How do you have this preference set up? Preferences->Audio->Playback->[ ] Run FX when stopped

That needs to be enabled, because Kontakt needs audio engine running at all times - otherwise any scripted instruments will totally misbehave (because scripting engine is running in the realtime audio thread).

Also, when you open a fresh new instance of Kontakt, which version is it (click the KONTAKT logo in upper left)?

Any antivirus on your system? If yes, make sure to exclude all the drives that contain sample libraries from scanning.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:41 AM   #4
capn slugo

[QUOTE=EvilDragon;2047104]Hmmm.

"How do you have this preference set up? Preferences->Audio->Playback->[ ] Run FX when stopped"

Thanks for literally saving my day Evil Dragon. I was already contemplating reinstalling windows in my sleep.I Have no idea how that box got unchecked and would have never thought of that as a problem or solution. Haven't been near that area of settings in months. I normally create new instances of Kontakt to edit and create instruments several times a day and didn't encounter this problem until yesterday. Anyway,,, THANKS MAN!!

"NI Access is fallible"

Sure is RobertP - It installed the new library I thought was causing the problem on my C drive and I don't remember being part of that decision. I moved it but I thought that might have left me with the problem. So did NI Access sneak into Reaper and mess w/my "Run FX when stopped" ? Probably not but I love a good conspiracy theory.

Now I can go check out Kontakt 6. I HOPE that they made it so you could right click on instruments in instrument banks and copy them to other places in that bank (and other banks) instead of digging around endlessly to drag them in. This would make setting up performance based templates SO much easier.

CHEERS!
capn slugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn slugo View Post
I HOPE that they made it so you could right click on instruments in instrument banks and copy them to other places in that bank (and other banks) instead of digging around endlessly to drag them in. This would make setting up performance based templates SO much easier.
Sorry to burst your bubble of joy, but nope, that's not happened. In general I don't think instrument banks are going to be the focus in development for quite some time to come, there are other, much more pressing issues that need solving
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
jesussaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hmmm.

How do you have this preference set up? Preferences->Audio->Playback->[ ] Run FX when stopped

That needs to be enabled, because Kontakt needs audio engine running at all times - otherwise any scripted instruments will totally misbehave (because scripting engine is running in the realtime audio thread).

Also, when you open a fresh new instance of Kontakt, which version is it (click the KONTAKT logo in upper left)?

Any antivirus on your system? If yes, make sure to exclude all the drives that contain sample libraries from scanning.
I do have that preference turned on.

I was having a separate issue with a 'last version' Kontakt 5 in which it would crash when loading a fairly large library (8Dio Anthology Strings - full ensemble). I found a guy named Andrew on the AudioSEX forum who pointed out that arming a track on Reaper prior to loading the instrument would do the trick (its a freeze, and I guess with larger libraries it can lead to a complete crash) It did solve it for me - it seems related to this audio engine must be turned on thing (track not armed - some sort of fumble by Kontakt - and now that I know this I can avoid it - but how does the future user of Reaper and Kontakt find this out - - you seem very knowledgeable so I'll ask you because I didn't find a lot about it online - Can the crashing be corrected as a Reaper issue or a Kontakt issue? Or is it a little of both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbyMQJBLCew
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote