Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
dsf1
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Not Responding *Alot*

Hello,

I've been having some issues with reaper lately...The last three versions and including the latest version just released seem to be causing issues. I'm not sure if others are having similar results or maybe its something with my system?

When I stop playing my track, reaper freezes and 'Not Responding' appears at the top of the window. If I sit and wait for a while, it will recover. When I open the FX chain on a track, I get a long pause, and very slow to respond. When it's recovering the whole screen refreshes./redraws. While this is happening, sometimes the HD will have activity and other times not.

I've seen it happen when the track is playing or stopped.

Overall reaper is sluggish and slow.

Checking the CPU usage, I'm sitting at about 4.5% usage.

I'm on a Windows 10 64bit PC, Intel CPU, 2.5ghz, 16gb ram, and a Samsung SSD HD. Nvidia 9500 graphics card.

I don't remember Reaper being so sluggish. Anyone else having these issues or should I start replacing hardware or troubleshooting Windows?

Thanks for the feedback.
Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, AMD Ryzen9 7950x, 32GB ram, 2TB NVME, RTX3060, 55" (4K) display, BabyFace Pro, Genelec 8351B+GLM, DT-1990pro, DT-880pro, HD-800S, SubPac-S2, Korg Oasys (controller), and a Cat in my lap.
dsf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Tinkerbell

Have u checked there is something not running in the background that may be causing it. Right click on taskbar task manager and start reaper. See if there is anything else running along side.
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #3
ivansc

Also check and see what other free goodies your most recent update to that Nvidia gfx card may have installed. Both Windows and Nvidia have a nasty habit of messing with background tasks in terms of things associated with gaming, audio and of course video..
Old 10-24-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
dsf1

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've tried shutting down background processes and same result.

It's acting like a reaper memory leak. It gets worse throughout the evening. Does better when I first start my session.

Maybe I have some hardware going out. It's a 9 year old mobo. Maybe this is a good time to upgrade and see if the problem resolves.

Cheers
Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, AMD Ryzen9 7950x, 32GB ram, 2TB NVME, RTX3060, 55" (4K) display, BabyFace Pro, Genelec 8351B+GLM, DT-1990pro, DT-880pro, HD-800S, SubPac-S2, Korg Oasys (controller), and a Cat in my lap.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
Dr Bob

Does it do this with NO vst's loaded or active?

If there was a Reaper memory leak, I suspect it would have been reported many times before and Justin would have been on it pronto.

It's very likely that it's either a plugin or a driver.

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
bob

Ive noticed this to.after a 30 secs or so it freezes then after a few secs it starts again.since 5.961 its bern doing this.nothinh has changed in my system.windows 7

Last edited by bob; 10-24-2018 at 09:27 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Greedy

Purely anecdotal as I've yet to do any trouble shooting, but I've been experiencing this lately too. Start up load time has gone from ten seconds to a minute or more, it's crashing semi-frequently, and just seems sluggish compared to the golden days of yore. I was thinking it's Win10 update-related, but bob's on 7. Recently updated my Focusrite drivers, so maybe that, but the OP has a Baby face.
I've got a decent enough system that's for audio only though it is connected to the internet, Dell i7 16gb ram (don't have exact specs in front of me), FR Scarlett 18i20 1st gen, not running the latest Reaper version but pretty recent, 5.95 I think.

Maybe I should try a ribbon mic instead of a condenser....

Last edited by Greedy; 10-24-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
dsf1

I too have seen the load times go through the roof.

It seems the problems started at 5.95 and the last two updates didn't improve it.

Earlier versions: things were going good.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 AM   #9
dsf1

update: I got a new mobo, ram and processor and things seem to be much better.

I also updated Ozone 8 to 8.01 and Neutron 2-2.01. I was using those pretty heavy, so figured maybe there was a issue there. I see they were having some issues with load times and such with 8.00. The new update seems to be running smooth.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I guess my older PC just couldn't handle the newer plug-ins. Welcome to 2018 PC.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #10
Steviebone

I had a similar issue recently. Turned out there were some reaper files that had become terribly fragmented. I now defragment every day. Seems to have solved the problem. Makes Reaper load faster too. Best to use a hard drive with at least 40% free and run defrag regularly. Windows defrag sucks. I use Ultimate Defrag,(https://ultradefrag.net/en/index.shtml). Its free, lacks some of the features found in retail paid solutions but does the job quite nicely. It's fast. Daily defrag takes less than a minute or two. Mind you I keep all my reaper stuff on it's own drive separate from the OS.

PS: This point is moot if you are running from SSD.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #11
crootnik

Also had similar issue. Load times are horrid. Every 3rd time, it hangs up and the project won't load and sits and spins.. Then I need to do an End Task. Open Reaper, try reloading the Project, and it works, as it did prior... quick load time..

I have no clue... it's just what I'm seeing.