Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #81
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Just installed Mojave on my MBP 13" early 2015. Reaper 5.x works just as before, that means like sh*t.
High probability this isn't really Reaper to blame for, but your particular hardware/software (mis)installation and (mis)configuration.
A.k.a the ever returning "user error"
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #82
machinesworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Once we're comfortable supporting the OS version, we update the web site. Sometimes there are fixes required for a particular OS version, and in those cases we put that fix in the changelog.
Any chance of Reaper getting a Mojave compatible dark interface? I definitely fall into that category of using darker themes in a low lit studio. I know this is OS specific, but the white strip across the top with my user information etc. is somewhat distracting with the darker themes.
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #83
cyjanopan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
High probability this isn't really Reaper to blame for, but your particular hardware/software (mis)installation and (mis)configuration.
A.k.a the ever returning "user error"
Very low probability, I reinstalled OS 2 times in the last 6 months, downloaded Reaper countless times, 4.x is working fine'ish, 5.x is just bad. Today I installed bootcamp with Windows 10 on the same machine - works like a charm. 5.x on any modern Mac OS is broken and I'm seriously thinking about switching to something different. A.k.a the ever returning "it's working fine here so you must be wrong"
cyjanopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #84
cyjanopan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Oh come on.., explain why its "like sh*t".., what are the problems you are having, because for me everything works perfect so far.. the only main issue is that Reapers GUI is very laggy on macOS.

The GUI is very laggy and I don't consider it a minor problem, it scans for plugins at every boot, even scrolling through plugin list is choppy, none of those problems occur with 4.x or on WIN 10 on the same machine

Last edited by cyjanopan; 10-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #85
machinesworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
The GUI is very laggy and I don't consider it a minor problem, it scans for plugins at every boot, even scrolling through plugin list is choppy, none of those problems occur with 4.x or on WIN 10 on the same machine
I have none of those problems on OSX at all. It does not load, scroll etc. any different than anything else on my machine. There's a happy medium here, you have some issues that not all OSX users are experiencing, but I'm not one to say it's all your fault. Something in your configuration is different/wrong, and I would not say it was Reaper to blame simply because it's not broken on other people's systems.

What's your computer specs? what OS version? Graphics card etc. All this and third party hardware can affect performance. I had horrible beat clock from Ableton Live, but not from Logic for instance, because a Logitech mouse driver was messing with the USB MIDI out, and Ableton had over polled the ports because end users were blaming Live for their timing issues, so Logic not being as diligent about polling USB MIDI wasn't as affected. Things can go haywire in the weirdest ways.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #86
EpicSounds

are you all using the version on the website or the differently compiled version?

https://www.reaper.fm/files/5.x/reap...c18_x86_64.dmg
Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #87
machinesworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
are you all using the version on the website or the differently compiled version?

https://www.reaper.fm/files/5.x/reap...c18_x86_64.dmg
Latest update.
You're talking about video lagging, we were responding to someone with scrolling issues in Reaper. Might be we're not talking the same issue.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #88
cyrano

There are definitely problems with Mojave. And Reaper is not to blame, as it happens for some users, but not for all. These problems also existed with High Sierra.

Problem #1 is batteryd eating up a lot of CPU resources and causing crackling sound. This only happens in conjunction with iCLoud. Disabling batteryd, bluetooth and a few others remedies this problem, but leaves you without cloud access and all related services, including the appstore. And it no longer checks battery status, so it's only possible when running on mains power.

Problem #2 is iTunes eating up some network bandwidth even when not running. No idea what's happening in this case, as it hasn't happened with one of my test machines. Removing iTunes and iTunes helper might help.

Problem #3 is the "allow to run" dialog not appearing for some. When you install a driver (or it gets copied from your previous system) parts of the driver need to be whitelisted by SIP. For some, the dialog doesn't appear. The solution is to go into system preferences and allow the process. Only, this is fairly well hidden and it also doesn't work sometimes.

Most of the problems appear with T1/T2 Macbook Pro's. Especially the 2018 MB Pro. But they also appear with any Retina machine. Older machines (pre-Retina) seem unaffected.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #89
CynicalDux

For those who are using soundtoys, there are problems with reaper on mojave (related to the dark mode in particular), soundtoys is working on it. So I won’t upgrade ‘cause I’m lost without filter freak
CynicalDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #90
vanhaze

I am running Mojave 10.14.0 - Dark Mode, Reaper (latest version) and latest version of Soundtoys plugins (including Filterfreak1 and 2) without any problem.

I have read the statement of Soundtoys about Mojave compatibility awhile ago.
I think it was about a graphical glitch in their plugins.
To be honest, i even haven't noticed that issue.
Again: no problems here with Soundtoys-Reaper-Mojave Darkmode !
Old 10-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #91
CynicalDux

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I am running Mojave 10.14.0 - Dark Mode, Reaper (latest version) and latest version of Soundtoys plugins (including Filterfreak1 and 2) without any problem.

I have read the statement of Soundtoys about Mojave compatibility awhile ago.
I think it was about a graphical glitch in their plugins.
To be honest, i even haven't noticed that issue.
Again: no problems here with Soundtoys-Reaper-Mojave Darkmode !
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry I didn’t noticed your previous post regarding that matter. I’ll probably make the jump with a solid backup. Hope there’s no problem with fabfilter’s too.
CynicalDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #92
vanhaze

No need to say sorry !
And FYI:
I am also running all Fabfilter plugins (latest versions) without any issue at all in Mojave- Reaper.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:24 AM   #93
cyjanopan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalDux View Post
For those who are using soundtoys, there are problems with reaper on mojave (related to the dark mode in particular), soundtoys is working on it. So I won’t upgrade ‘cause I’m lost without filter freak
It's working fine here (better than Reaper itself TBH), the wooden sides just looks funny
Old 10-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #94
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Latest update.
You're talking about video lagging, we were responding to someone with scrolling issues in Reaper. Might be we're not talking the same issue.
I didn't say anything about video. There are other things that are different between the two versions, like scroll speed
https://imgur.com/a/hAHyi9j
Old 10-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #95
machinesworking

Quote:
I didn't say anything about video. There are other things that are different between the two versions, like scroll speed
https://imgur.com/a/hAHyi9j
Yes, yes you did say something about video.
Quote:
check video performance please. H.264 playback and rendering from reaper. thanks
Since that was your first post in this thread, I would kinda sorta conclude you're worried about video.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #96
pyercoffin

Just chiming in quickly.
Reaper's GUI is indeed faster for me on WIN10 than OSX.
The one thing that really nicely worked for me (MBP 2016 Touchbar) is to do a CMD-I on the program and checking Open in low Resolution.
On my rig it definitely (and noticeably) speeds up zooming in tracks and moving items around...
Dunno if it helps...
pyercoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #97
serr

Took a spin with 10.14 today...

short version: Not recommended!

I'll note the positive first:
The business Apple started with 10.13 making downloading the installer app difficult has been abandoned! Very welcome! You can simply download the complete installer through the App Store again. No more editing your hosts file and downloading separate packages and all that.

However...
Bugs in the installer again... Or we can just come out and say it in plain language: Apple looks to be blacklisting many of their pro model machines with this installer. Many of the models with fully supported hardware and the pro configurations that they don't even have new equivalent models available with.

Dosdude1 is on the scene again with installer patches.
The Apple server was actually crashing when I tried to download the installer initially and the Dosdude1 tool made an easy workaround for it.
I tried back later again (and to see if it was the same installer file set) and it just worked. Full installer downloaded with none of the partial file business and spoofing with the hosts file workarounds.

The recovery partition doesn't seem to work on these models I've tried so far: 6,2 8,2 9,1
So far I've noticed that the trackpad preference panel in System Preferences will not recognize the trackpad (even though it seems fully functional). This means no setting preference options (taps, scrolls, gestures, etc) from default without manual terminal commands.

Note that this is all with the APFS disk format on SSD's. These machines have the current firmware supporting APFS.

Just mundane poking around - browsing the hard drive, browsing the internet with Firefox, working various preference panels - I find 10.14 to be very noticeably slow and laggy. Not just the extra long booting either. It genuinely slows down your machine. (The 3 I tried include literally the 2 flagship models of Macbook Pro both outfitted with SSDs.) In contrast, 10.6.8 boots before the spinning status indicator can even display! 10.13.6 boots in 5 seconds but is actually noticeably faster than 10.6 in operation on the same machine. 10.14 is an absolute disaster so far.

And this is where I stopped!

Obviously there is at least some functionality. Maybe the nuts and bolts of the system are intact and audio apps may just work. I haven't tested every version machine yet but the gen 8 and 9 machines are the top flagship machines Apple has ever (or likely will ever) produce. These little nickle and dime bugs are shockingly sloppy for the likes of OSX. This isn't supposed to be a Microsoft-like product. Not a good look at all for Apple here unfortunately. I'm going to wait until at least a .2 update before even considering another trial. Don't go for this OS unless you have a spare drive volume to experiment with it on and have time to kill.

The dark theme looks cool. Was looking forward to that kind of. Way too many glaring bugs in critical functions to consider that right now though.

Have a full Carbon Copy Cloner backup clone ready to roll back to if you even consider this OS version! You've been warned.

*edit
I'm told that the 10.14 installer should be pointed to a HFS+ formatted drive initially (a hard requirement for the 10.13 installer) even though you may have already been running 10.13 in APFS and even though you have the APFS firmware update. I haven't doubled back and run a trial of that yet.

The slowness is the most unexpected and disappointing thing. Services plain not working is no less troubling of course. And here I thought this one was going to be all happiness and light! Reading it the riot act instead. Thinking out loud though... Could this be fallout from something gone wrong with the install related to not really supposed to be installing to an APFS formatted drive? The slowness kind of felt like using an old machine with a spinning drive but I'm just speculating now.

Last edited by serr; 10-26-2018 at 05:15 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #98
machinesworking

I have Mojave installed on a 2012 laptop, it runs just fine.
4 core i7 2.7ghz model though, which gets high ratings on Geekbench even being that old.

I haven't used it for Reaper though, I run Reaper on a 09 modded Mac Pro in 10.12.5 because I'm running a System hack that allows the OS to use NVME M.2 drives. Plus I would need to get a Mojave approved graphics card to allow this 09 modded to 5,1 to use Mojave in the first place. It's an if it works don't break it situation, but I have to say at some point here I'm going to switch, Mojave supports third party NVME drive natively, relying on hacks makes me wonder how much more responsive the NVME M.2 would be with native drivers.