Human being with feelings

Default Take FX not able to receive track channels beyond 1/2

Mac OS 10.12.6
32GB RAM
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Reaper64
5.96.100/64

Per the "Routing Help":

"Tracks can host track FX, and media item takes can host per-take FX. Track FX can receive audio from any track channels, and output audio to any track channels.

Take FX can receive audio from any media item or track channels, and output audio to any track channels.

Detailed routing for any FX can also be visualized and edited using the plug-in pin connector dialog (click the FX in/out button)."

To be fair I haven't tried this many times in the past, but I can't recall ever having it work.

If I have a "Take FX" instance, if I read this correctly, I should be able to get audio into CH 3/4 from the track. I presume the media item has to live on the same track.

In this example I have a track that has audio on CH 1,2,3,4, and a Take FX that has at least that many channels in the pin routing. But no matter what I do I can't get track channel audio 3/4 into Take FX 3/4.

Note - the media item is actually mono, and the track audio 3/4 is receiving that from another track (more or less trying to side-chain into a Take FX)

https://app.box.com/s/2ww0svv7o3nysgrhjeu9zwy46a0nbm6i

That screenshot shows the track audio metering, and the media item with Take FX is on that same track, but as you can see no audio is appearing in Take FX 3/4.

I've checked the Pin configuration as well as the pull down menu assignments, and 3/4 are set to receive audio from track channels 3/4.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong including misinterpreting the feature?
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
Ice

The problem seems to be this.

If audio channel 3/4 on a track is being INPUT then it can't make it into Take FX 3/4 on that track, which is what I actually need it to do. Essentially side chaining into Take FX from another track.

However if the audio file on that track is 4 channels, then channels 3/4 DO make it into the Take FX 3/4.

I've tried every manner of signal flow on the send/receive (Pre-FX, Post Fader, etc.) with no change.

I could really use this feature. Is this a bug or just not its intended function?
Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Not its intended function. If there's a "big" it's in the wording of that help text. Take FX are "before" anything else that happens on the track, including receives from other tracks. It just plain doesn't work that way.

You can get around it using the gmem send and receive plugs if you really want to.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Coachz

Is there a flow chart for the audio channels such as the channels 1/2, 3/4 ... and are these called track channel audio and master track channels? It seems they are the same since they leak into each other then effectively they are the same buses / channels right?

Users manual 11.17 avoiding Channel leakage

Last edited by Coachz; 10-23-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Not its intended function. If there's a "big" it's in the wording of that help text. Take FX are "before" anything else that happens on the track, including receives from other tracks. It just plain doesn't work that way.
Understood - thanks!

Quote:
You can get around it using the gmem send and receive plugs if you really want to.
Wow thats great! I wasn't aware of this trick. It seems to work just fine at first try.

Thanks a ton for this! This is going to help in many ways!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Understood - thanks!

Wow thats great! I wasn't aware of this trick. It seems to work just fine at first try.

Thanks a ton for this! This is going to help in many ways!
What does gmem do?
Old 10-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
karbomusic

So I don't stand corrected (other thread), I knew that help text was cryptic/misleading in it's wording - it read to me like "you can send a signal to your guitar".
Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
What does gmem do?
gmem is a set of global memory slots that JS plugs can access to pass information between one another. In this context, that information would be the samples in the audio stream. The two plugs I suggested do basically nothing but that. The send drops the incoming audio into one of those slots and the receive spits the value from that slot back out as audio. You do have to be careful to make sure they're both working with the same slot and that they aren't using the same slots as some other plugin.

I haven't actually tried this in a while. Does it actually use two slots to send/receive audio or do you need two sets?

This actually opens up the idea of something like "FX items" - like a way to have whole FX chains swap around based on the timeline. Put in empty items. Add Take FX starting with a gmem receive from some other track. You should (?) only hear those FX when the item is "playing".
Old 10-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
Ice

Quote:
What does gmem do?
There is a gmem send, and a gmem receive.

Its a pair of built-in JS plugins that can receive audio and send to a receiving plugin.

In my case I've set it up to send from the track I was trying to side-chain FROM, and then set up a receiver (gmem receive) on the Take FX, where I can then route it into CH 3/4 of the Take FX plug-in I was trying to side-chain on.

The gmem is pretty cool. It allows up to 100 channels (0 to 99) to send/receive on, and in various audio channel pairs.

Very cool. I wish I had seen these before.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Is there a flow chart for the audio channels such as the channels 1/2, 3/4 ... and are these called track channel audio and master track channels?
There's a couple of these floating around, and I've heard that some are more accurate than others. This is close enough though:
Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
There's a couple of these floating around, and I've heard that some are more accurate than others. This is close enough though:
Does that flow chart have a block of where the 1/2, 3/4 channels are? Thanks for posting it
Old 10-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Ice

I went to lunch and now the session is playing back incorrectly.

Its like some audio is buffered into the gmem. I quit and relaunch with no change. Oddly enough offline renders sound like I remember before lunch but the session playing through the process is way off.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Does that flow chart have a block of where the 1/2, 3/4 channels are? Thanks for posting it
Those are parallel all along the way, except I think the various Pans only affect channels 1/2.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
In this example I have a track that has audio on CH 1,2,3,4, and a Take FX that has at least that many channels in the pin routing. But no matter what I do I can't get track channel audio 3/4 into Take FX 3/4.
Take FX are purely upstream from track FX, as a result you can't have any track channels sending to the take FX. Also it's worth noting that the gmem[]-based tools are not going to be reliable because take FX are often processed asynchronous from track FX. If you need to sidechain for a particular plug-in, it should really be on the track FX (and you can use bypass envelope to enable it only when needed).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Take FX are purely upstream from track FX, as a result you can't have any track channels sending to the take FX. Also it's worth noting that the gmem[]-based tools are not going to be reliable because take FX are often processed asynchronous from track FX. If you need to sidechain for a particular plug-in, it should really be on the track FX (and you can use bypass envelope to enable it only when needed).
Thanks this is all clear now. Glad we did this.

FWIW, I've gone back to automating the plugin on the track.

I'm very thankful that Reaper allows us to stay in TOUCH record, even when looping a selection. Pro Tools kicks me out of automation record at each repeat, but Reaper works like a charm at this.