Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 04-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
tracer03
Human being with feelings

Default Help with using Reaper/VST/Soft Synths for live performance

Hi all. I've been using Reaper for a few years - mainly for recording hardware instruments. I'm primarily a bass player, but I've dabbled a little with some soft synths for ideas and noodling. I've recently joined a cover band, and we have a rehearsal space that I've set up for practice and demo recording.

Short version: kind of a rookie with Reaper.

We'd like to start using some VST Synths out of Reaper, and I'm kind of lost on the best way to set up our gear to get sounds from Reaper to our PA.

Gear list:
Focusrite 18i6 2nd Gen
Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
M-audio Keystation 49
Yamaha EMX312SC Powered mixer
Powered and unpowered monitors (powered monitor has 1/4" input, unpowered take XLR)
Desktop (Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz, 16gb Ram, SSD)
Laptop (Intel Core i5 2.8GHz, 16gb Ram, SSD)

So, after looking for any kind of 'simple' reference diagram showing how to route/wire up the interface so I can use some VSTs for live performance, I'm stumped. There doesn't appear to be anything reasonably 'simple' in terms of showing how I can route the soft synths from Reaper through the Scarlett(s) and out through the PA. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not sure if I can use my existing gear to do it, and how I would connect/route everything.

Can anyone give a "simple" breakdown of how I would connect everything, and if I would need any additional hardware/'stuff' to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!
tracer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 AM   #2
mschnell

While it's no problem to use a single VSTi in Reaper (or another DAW) for Live playing (if you take care ob the obvious latency considerations, including to use a low latency spec audio D/A and appropriately powerful PC and "realtime friendly" OS configuration, creating a setup with versatile ptach changing capabilities according to your needs might be a chalange.

See the sticky thread in this forum for a lot of information and come back with specific questions.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
tracer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
...creating a setup with versatile ptach changing capabilities according to your needs might be a chalange.

-Michael
Thanks for the response. I'm not looking to have a lot of patch changing or sound switches: I realize that a hardware synth is going to be far more versatile (and easier to use) in a live sound situation. Eventually, the plan will be to pick up some hardware to use in live settings.

For now, I have 3-6 synths/sounds set up (mostly strings/pads/organ) that we'd like to use during practice, just to fill space and experiment. Since we will be recording with vsts in the near future, I'd just like to be able to run them 'live' through our PA in a practice environment.

I did look through the sticky you mentioned in your response, but I wasn't able to find anything specific regarding hardware setup or signal routing.
tracer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer03 View Post
I wasn't able to find anything specific regarding hardware setup or signal routing.
Hello- so looking at them setup specs it seems all you need is to cable everything and you are done? (is that a vst instrument?)

Simplified > Midi kb(s) input to either single track with multichannel midi device,or multiple tracks with single channel midi instrument setups.
If you then want multi audio inputs and outputs for everything refer to user guide,consult your hardware manuals and use spider senses.
REAPER is fairly good defaults.Left+right click everything.

Some people worry a bit about latency which can be problematic with many input or output fx running..so its probably best do all your input tracking with minimum asio buffer sizes..then once your all done recording/tracking you can goto town with many multi fx and maybe switch to a wave driver for stable playbacks at cost of extra latency.. easy right?

It will become very simple going through the motions once or twice..obviously you can save all kinds of crazy templates and default settings (ITB) to make life bit more rapid.
So that was helpful huh? lol. maybe..if you want 2 way audio+midi this is still fairly easy to get done.
Right click,left click,drag n hold clicks,not forgetting middle clicks for fun.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:35 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
I realize that a hardware synth is going to be far more versatile (and easier to use) in a live sound situation.
Wrong !
A software setup with Reaper is as well a lot more versatile as - if using a Control Surface device of a convenient kind - especially easy to use on stage. In fact because it can be configured in exactly the way best suitable for your personal needs.

But configuring the system before using it on stage can be a lot of work.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-19-2022 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
I did look through the sticky you mentioned in your response, but I wasn't able to find anything specific regarding hardware setup or signal routing.
Taking on that task, presumes an already decent understanding of Reaper and digital audio. Hence these texts are on a non-basic level to be used on top of more introductory and less specific material that certainly can be found, e.g. in Kennies videos on Reaper.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-19-2022 at 03:24 AM.