Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
drumphil
Human being with feelings

Default Virtual audio device like ReaRoute, but not limited to ASIO

So, I'm the tech guy for a radio station.

Reaper is the ultimate audio processing/routing system and can easily handle any processing/routing tasks we have here. Absolutely brilliant. Can replace 10's of thousands of dollars worth of digital mixing/processing gear.

BUT!... Isn't there always a but.

But this all falls apart if the audio streams come from or go to another piece of software on the same computer.

For example, we have a computer in the broadcast stack that receives the audio from the studios over balanced analog. Three streams go out of this system. Unmodified for logging, lightly compressed for internet streaming, and more complicated stuff for the FM transmitter.

The only way to get the audio from reaper to the other programs is to go out through an audio device, and back in through another audio device. So, one output for the FM transmitter, and output and an input for the logging software, and another output and input for the internet stream.

We also have a radio automation program running on the broadcast computer (for when the studio is unmanned) that has to go out of the computer and back into another input to get into reaper, and then back out to the various end points.

So, either multiple audio devices or a multichannel audio device with multiple virtual audio devices and internal routing (or just a bunch of patch cables) is required just to get audio from place to place on a single computer.

ReaRoute would be the ultimate solution to such issues if all windows software supported ASIO, but they don't. Also for example, our streaming is done using edcast which sends a stream to an icecast server. Edcast has an ASIO version which works fine with a real audio device, but crashes and burns when connected to ReaRoute. Our logging system works brilliantly, but has no ASIO support. Neither does our automation software.

If anyone mentions VAC (Virtual Audio Cable), I'll chain them to a chair in front of the computer and not let them go until they make it work, which means they'll die of starvation.

Apart from this specific example there are many other situations where a virtual sound card would be useful.

Back when I had an Audigy 2 sound card in my main computer, I ran the KX Project drivers. I had a crossover running on the DSP controlling my main speaker rig, and a secondary output with a full range signal for headphones. All windows audio ran through the DSP.

I could replicate this setup, without the DSP limitations of an Audigy, on any computer, with any sound card, if there was a way to get the audio into reaper in the first place. Reaper would essentially become the DSP system, more powerful than any DSP powered audio interface at any price.

So, that's my rant. What do ya'll think? I just think it is crazy with all the CPU power I have today, that I can't achieve something that can be done with a soundblaster live. Why should a multichannel DSP powered audio interface be necessary to move audio between programs running on the same CPU? Why do I need a DSP powered audio interface to run a basic crossover that would use bugger all CPU power?

Last edited by drumphil; 08-15-2013 at 04:52 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
bmanic

I wont mention VAC because it sucks but DDMF makes a very good alternative, which works!!

http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=8

Check it out.

Though I still agree it would be awesome to have this possibility within reaper's own rearoute thing.
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Nice, that DDMF plugin seems it could be very useful.

I do agree that an update to ReaRoute that would support other drivers apart from ASIO would be insanely awesome, and it would make Reaper more complete.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
airon

It would certainly gobsmack the online broadcasting community.

I could just prepare a decent live setup for those lads, which the virtual driver could then send to Mumble or the streaming software.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
serr

I use Soundflower for this. http://cycling74.com/soundflower-landing-page/

Haven't tried DDMF yet but I guess I will now...
Edit: Just looked at it. It's a VST plugin (not free either) so it would be limited to DAW use only. Probably using a DAW most of the time you'd want this of course but Soundflower works for any app on the computer.

Soundflower acts like a 16 channel virtual bus in core audio. Route audio around between apps however you want. You can make an aggregate device of Soundflower + any other interface and/or built-in audio.

But... (Yep, here's another one of those )
Running multiple devices at the higher sample rates (88.2k, 96k, and up) requires word clock sync between devices. At the lower rates, you can get away with checking the 'resample' box when you make an aggregate device just like the instructions say. You can actually get away with running at 96k most of the time (even though all the manuals specifically say NO). But you will get a sync mishap every now and then. There will be distortion and you will have to reset the core audio devices.

Last edited by serr; 09-02-2013 at 08:32 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Evan

Perhaps JACK audio can help? It's free...

http://jackaudio.org/

Not something I've tried, just heard about it.

EDIT: also this...

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
ion

This is still something that would be very nice to have. I would love to replace my current VB-Cable/VoiceMeeter/Cantabile mess with just Reaper. I just need to capture the audio outputs of two or three programs independently and pass my microphone signal through an effect chain and as input to VoIP software and OBS. It wouldn't hurt to be able to apply an effect chain to the audio outputs of the programs as well.

I saw that a headphone correction app I'm using has licensed Thin Audio Gateway to provide a virtual sound device. It seems to provide a driver for the virtual devices and a library for the host application to access the audio ring buffers. Perhaps a non-ASIO variant of ReaRoute could be built on top of something like it.

I am in no way affiliated with this product. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for a non-ASIO ReaRoute.

There is also Synchronous Audio Router which is open source under GPL-3. The driver is unsigned, forcing a user to run Windows in test-signing mode, and it requires you to run the host application as admin because it creates audio endpoints dynamically. A ReaRoute-like solution could come with a signed driver and static endpoints.

Last edited by ion; 08-29-2022 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Point out SAR
ion is offline   Reply With Quote