Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Hello wonderful Linux Reaper community!
What's the best native linux sampler?
I'm looking for one that:
- is Lv2 or Vsti
- allows you to create your own instruments
- allows multisamples mapping and round robin
LinuxSampler is a great engine for native Linux samples, but it is just the player and requires either Qsampler or Jsampler to act as the front end for loading and assigning sample sets. LinuxSampler is essentially a black box.

That said, on the download page is also a GigaEditor that will let you create your own GigaSampler format files that LinuxSampler can use, and they will have the same capabilities as the original GigaSampler for Windows had. I've never used the GigEdit software or tried to create my own sample sets in Linux, but that would be the tool I would look at, because LinuxSampler works great in REAPER.

https://www.linuxsampler.org/downloads.html
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
krahosk
Human being with feelings

Thank you very much! I am looking for something a little bit more sophisticated than Reasamplematic5000. I am going to give it a try!
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
PMan

I'm afraid LinuxSampler's (linuxsampler.org) downloads page is mostly source files that need to be compiled. The Linux binary downloads are for very old versions of the various distros - bummer!

I never had any luck compiling LS. That was back when I was into compiling apps, I don't do that anymore

KX Studio https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins has a Binary download that works. It's not the latest LinuxSampler, but it's recent enough for me.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I'm afraid LinuxSampler's (linuxsampler.org) downloads page is mostly source files that need to be compiled. The Linux binary downloads are for very old versions of the various distros - bummer!

I never had any luck compiling LS. That was back when I was into compiling apps, I don't do that anymore

KX Studio https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins has a Binary download that works. It's not the latest LinuxSampler, but it's recent enough for me.
I got v2.2.0 through pamac. I'm struggling in creating an instrument and was about to go back to Reasamplematic. I can't find info about any round robin feature.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
porzione

I use https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&se...ltisampler_x24 despite the fact that I don't like the ui, but it is most stable Linux sampler I tried and it can import Hydrogen drumkits.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
audiojunkie

In addition to the sampler/sample-players mentioned above, I'd like to mention a few that I think are great:

Sfizz -- It's an SFZ sample player (Open Source) Basic SFZ files can be created in notepad.

Tal-Sampler -- This is a fantastic little power house and one of my personal favorites. However, it is a commercial device and it's VST/VST3. It uses sane copy protection (a simple serial code), and is very easy to use.

Bliss Sampler -- This is another commercial sampler, but it's got really cool features. It can save samples as SFZs, and it can sample other plugins.

DrumGizmo -- If you may be looking specically for a Drum style sample player, this is the best that Linux has to offer. It's open source and very powerful.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #8
PMan

Yeah, I have Bliss, too. I appreciate devs who support Linux...
But I could never get Bliss to load a setup that I created in a song without setting it to *save the samples in the plugin state*

So if I use a 10Meg sampled instrument, it adds 10 megs to the size of the Reaper file. I often go through 10 or more versions of a song, so each version has that 10 meg sampled instrument embedded in it.

Example: Size of Reaper project with 1 track - Bliss with a bass patch.
- W/O "save samples in the plugin state" (won't play back correctly) 15.5 KB
- with "save samples in the plugin state" (plays back correctly) 13.6 MB

I've emailed the dev about this *multiple* times. I love the way it sounds but....

I would love to recommend Bliss, but it has a pretty major bug.
-try before you buy!

Last edited by PMan; 10-29-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #9
krahosk

I got a look at all those samplers suggested but none support multisamples and round-robin (except Tal Sampler, with 4 sample layers).
I guess the best one for that is the built in one, Reasamplomatic 5000.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
Glennbo

All the suggestions for sample players doesn't quite meet the specific three items the OP was asking for, which was . . .

- is Lv2 or Vsti
Old 10-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #11
porzione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
All the suggestions for sample players doesn't quite meet the specific three items the OP was asking for, which was . . .

- is Lv2 or Vsti
LSP Multi-Sampler - lvs2/vst, allows to create instruments, "for each instrument there are up to eight samples", "randomize the output gain of the selected instrument", "allows to randomize the time delay between the MIDI Note On event and the start of the sample's playback for the selected instrument" it is even better than just round robin
Old 10-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #12
audiojunkie

Quote:

- is Lv2 or Vsti
The above listed sampler tools represent the best of the Native Linux plugins. Maybe it's time to look at WINE and windows samplers?
Old 10-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
The above listed sampler tools represent the best of the Native Linux plugins. Maybe it's time to look at WINE and windows samplers?
I've never checked out Gigedit for Linux, but it is an editor for GigaSampler format files, and Gigasampler could do multi-samples, round robins, and disk streaming, so I'm pretty confident that Gigedit supports all those things.

LinuxSampler is made for GigaSampler format first, and others like SF2 and SFZ second. It's one of the most capable native tools Linux has to offer for really high quality samples. Hehe, I just got it working on my Raspberry Pi last night and can now play the really great 932 MB Yamaha CF3 grand piano from the LinuxSampler site on my Pi.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:07 AM   #14
krahosk

Quote:
I've never checked out Gigedit for Linux, but it is an editor for GigaSampler format files, and Gigasampler could do multi-samples, round robins, and disk streaming, so I'm pretty confident that Gigedit supports all those things.
Thanks Glennbo. I can't find a way to create a new instrument with it though. Gigedit seems to be for editing GIGA instruments only.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by porzione View Post
LSP Multi-Sampler - lvs2/vst, allows to create instruments, "for each instrument there are up to eight samples", "randomize the output gain of the selected instrument", "allows to randomize the time delay between the MIDI Note On event and the start of the sample's playback for the selected instrument" it is even better than just round robin
Thanks Porzione. I haven't found it in any repository for ArchLinux (Manjaro) and I've never compiled an app yet. Randomize output gain is a great idea but I still need round robin for realism and perhaps more than eight samples for the instruments.

I didn't realize how Reasamplomatic is feature rich: unlimited sample layers (via FX chain) and unlimited round robin!
Old 10-31-2021, 07:23 AM   #16
krahosk

Quote:
Hehe, I just got it working on my Raspberry Pi last night and can now play the really great 932 MB Yamaha CF3 grand piano from the LinuxSampler site on my Pi.
Amazing! I'd like to experiment with a Pi eventually. Off-grid musician :-)
Old 10-31-2021, 07:42 AM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Glennbo. I can't find a way to create a new instrument with it though. Gigedit seems to be for editing GIGA instruments only.
I installed it for grins, and was able to quickly add a group of samples for a new instrument, and right clicking a sample has options for what the base note is, and some other stuff.

It appears to be pretty complicated though and has scripting stuff that I don't get. Also, you are correct that it is specifically made for GIGA 3 and 4 format files, but those are the format that LinuxSampler which is 100% native Linux prefers.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:18 AM   #18
porzione

Quote:
Thanks Porzione. I haven't found it in any repository for ArchLinux (Manjaro) and I've never compiled an app yet. Randomize output gain is a great idea but I still need round robin for realism and perhaps more than eight samples for the instruments.

I didn't realize how Reasamplomatic is feature rich: unlimited sample layers (via FX chain) and unlimited round robin!
Just search for 'lsp-plugins' package - it is bundle with all plugins from https://lsp-plug.in/
Old 11-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #19
PMan

Updated info:

After I posted above about the issues with DiscoDSP's Bliss sampler "I would love to recommend Bliss, but it has a pretty major bug", I went to the KVR Bliss forum and asked if this bug could be fixed: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...50854#p8250854

He must have already been working on it, cause less than a week later, Bliss2 beta 1 is out - and that bug is fixed!

I don't think Bliss does round robin, but it has a morph feature that enables you to modulate parameters by velocity. For drums I would think filter, attack and/or decay would be good candidates...

This may or may not address your needs, but when Bliss2 comes out, I would put it high on the list of Linux native samplers to investigate.

Full disclosure: I paid full price for Bliss 1.2, and for the update to Bliss 1.8. The Bliss2 upgrade is free to 1.8 users...
Old 11-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #20
krahosk

Quote:
Just search for 'lsp-plugins' package - it is bundle with all plugins from https://lsp-plug.in/
Thank you!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #21
krahosk

Quote:
Updated info:

After I posted above about the issues with DiscoDSP's Bliss sampler "I would love to recommend Bliss, but it has a pretty major bug", I went to the KVR Bliss forum and asked if this bug could be fixed: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...50854#p8250854

He must have already been working on it, cause less than a week later, Bliss2 beta 1 is out - and that bug is fixed!

I don't think Bliss does round robin, but it has a morph feature that enables you to modulate parameters by velocity. For drums I would think filter, attack and/or decay would be good candidates...

This may or may not address your needs, but when Bliss2 comes out, I would put it high on the list of Linux native samplers to investigate.

Full disclosure: I paid full price for Bliss 1.2, and for the update to Bliss 1.8. The Bliss2 upgrade is free to 1.8 users...
Bliss 2 is something I'm considering, thank you :-)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #22
audiojunkie

Quote:
Updated info:

I saw that you posted that! :-) I'm glad you did! Also, I could have sworn that Bliss supported round-robins, but I've looked through all the information and notes and couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe we need to request this? :-)
Old 11-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #23
PMan

I thought it did, too!

But later in that same forum thread someone else asked about round robin, and he said it would not be included in the 2.0 release.

Still a great sampler, though.

I've never tried the resampling, but I have loaded and played .exs libraries with it. You have to have the samples and instruments in a very specific folder structure, but it works.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #24
dylan.w

Noticed Renoise Redux wasn't mentioned here. It's worth checking out, very capable.
dylan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #25
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I saw that you posted that! :-) I'm glad you did! Also, I could have sworn that Bliss supported round-robins, but I've looked through all the information and notes and couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe we need to request this? :-)
regarding a Bliss round-robin feature request, discoDSP recently stated: "Not for 2.0. Round robin has been on the todo for a long time indeed but the priority is low because there’s little demand and quite time consuming to implement."

On the bright side, here's the Bliss beta changelist:

Universal 2 Binary (Native Apple M1 chip compatibility).
Added alert window when selecting extreme quality interpolation settings.
Added Export Program to mapped WAV files.
Added Linux JACK support for standalone.
Added Windows ASIO support for standalone.
Delay FX synced to host tempo by default.
Enhanced voice handling.
Fixed legato mode.
Full width character display on Program and Zone LCD.
Improved unison speed.
LUA script updating.
Major framework updated (JUCE 5 to JUCE 6).
Max voices upped to 64.
Memory optimizations.
Miscellaneous GUI cosmetic changes.
More musical Chorus FX default value.
Pitch Shifting (Licensed Rubber Band engine from Breakfast Quay).
RAM memory per instance reduced to 7.7x.
Redistributed VST sampling menu.
Removed FLAC export code from voice DSP code.
Removed webkit component in Linux for additional compatibility.
Simplified reverb engine.
VST sampling engine enhancements."

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #26
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
regarding a Bliss round-robin feature request, discoDSP recently stated: "Not for 2.0. Round robin has been on the todo for a long time indeed but the priority is low because there’s little demand and quite time consuming to implement."

On the bright side, here's the Bliss beta changelist:

Universal 2 Binary (Native Apple M1 chip compatibility).
Added alert window when selecting extreme quality interpolation settings.
Added Export Program to mapped WAV files.
Added Linux JACK support for standalone.
Added Windows ASIO support for standalone.
Delay FX synced to host tempo by default.
Enhanced voice handling.
Fixed legato mode.
Full width character display on Program and Zone LCD.
Improved unison speed.
LUA script updating.
Major framework updated (JUCE 5 to JUCE 6).
Max voices upped to 64.
Memory optimizations.
Miscellaneous GUI cosmetic changes.
More musical Chorus FX default value.
Pitch Shifting (Licensed Rubber Band engine from Breakfast Quay).
RAM memory per instance reduced to 7.7x.
Redistributed VST sampling menu.
Removed FLAC export code from voice DSP code.
Removed webkit component in Linux for additional compatibility.
Simplified reverb engine.
VST sampling engine enhancements."

Cheers
Did you see the promising comment not far after yours where I suggested an alternative workaround for round robin? I think you'll like what you'll read. He doesn't want to do my idea, but he's going to try to get some collab work with the developer of the decent sampler for round robin. :-)
Old 11-12-2021, 12:20 AM   #27
porzione

Have tried commercial demos but returned to LSP and RS5K, my reasons are:
TAL-Sampler - I really like TAL user interfaces but I can't change its note off behavior, I want to play whole sample by default and ignore note off at all just like RS5K does - there is checkbox "obey note-offs".
Redux - overcomplicated UI, I can deal with it but it is almost impossible to use editor on 15" laptop even in full screen mode. And it is not easy to edit drumkit with it.
Bliss - everything is fine with UI and note offs but I didn't manage to get "my" sound with included effects so I still have to use Reaper's multi out and effects on separate track at least for 4 drums and here it makes no sense to use external (and not cheap) sampler.
So I continue with LSP/RS5K. Even wrote script for generate LSP drumkits - it scans wav files and tries to guess MIDI instrument from file name.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #28
dylan.w

Quote:
Have tried commercial demos but returned to LSP and RS5K, my reasons are:
TAL-Sampler - I really like TAL user interfaces but I can't change its note off behavior, I want to play whole sample by default and ignore note off at all just like RS5K does - there is checkbox "obey note-offs".
Redux - overcomplicated UI, I can deal with it but it is almost impossible to use editor on 15" laptop even in full screen mode. And it is not easy to edit drumkit with it.
Bliss - everything is fine with UI and note offs but I didn't manage to get "my" sound with included effects so I still have to use Reaper's multi out and effects on separate track at least for 4 drums and here it makes no sense to use external (and not cheap) sampler.
So I continue with LSP/RS5K. Even wrote script for generate LSP drumkits - it scans wav files and tries to guess MIDI instrument from file name.
There's more going on UI wise in Redux than the other options mentioned but it's also a much deeper tool. OP mentioned multi samples and round robin. The modulation within Redux used alongside key zones and velocity splits, phrases, effects, means much more variation than a round robin is possible. It's also multi-out 12 stereo / 24 mono.

ReaSampleOmatic5000 is pretty capable though. I was getting a lot of mileage out of it before switching to Redux.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #29
PMan

I use Redux, too...

It does substantially increase the size of the project file, similar to early versions of Bliss.

I haven't tested it substantially yet, just an initial test:
- empty project with empty Redux: 7.2 KB
- same empty project with a simple Redux bass preset: 214KB
- same empty project with a complex Redux preset (granted, it's a percussion preset with *lots* of mappings of short samples - no cymbals) 5.6MB

I haven't compared the size of the Reaper file with the size of the samples yet. Hopefully, I can do that this afternoon.

P.S. I hope this is not derailing the focus of the OP
Old 11-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #30
porzione

Quote:
I use Redux, too...

It does substantially increase the size of the project file, similar to early versions of Bliss.

- same empty project with a complex Redux preset (granted, it's a percussion preset with *lots* of mappings of short samples - no cymbals) 5.6MB

I haven't compared the size of the Reaper file with the size of the samples yet. Hopefully, I can do that this afternoon.

Redux samples are stored inside, even unused ones - I added 1 MB sample to Redux and the project grew by 1 MB.

Hope it helps someone
Old 11-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
dylan.w

Quote:
I use Redux, too...

Ah yes very good point. I had forgotten about this and it's worthwhile to be aware of if the goal is to make a Kontakt/Halion/Falcon style instrument.

I remember reading that it's a design decision by the Renoise team to embed samples into presets so that they're more robust and don't rely on linking to external files. I think this is good for a smaller sampler personally, but it's a clear downside compared to something that's designed to deal with huge libs.

Last edited by dylan.w; 11-13-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #32
krahosk

Holy Grail, Renoise Redux! This is all that I need. I'm old enough to have composed music on the Amiga using Soundtracker, so this is a blast from the past!
Old 11-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #33
audiojunkie

Quote:
Holy Grail, Renoise Redux! This is all that I need. I'm old enough to have composed music on the Amiga using Soundtracker, so this is a blast from the past!
Glad you found a native solution you like!
Old 05-04-2022, 11:20 PM   #34
mrbumpy409

Quote:

- is Lv2 or Vsti
I realize this thread has already been resolved, but I wanted to correct for future readers that sfizz *does* support all of the above and is actually quite capable for building advanced virtual instruments.
mrbumpy409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #35
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbumpy409 View Post
I realize this thread has already been resolved, but I wanted to correct for future readers that sfizz *does* support all of the above and is actually quite capable for building advanced virtual instruments.
I'm trying SFIZZ out but the LV2 itself does not have the features to build virtual instruments. It's a romplmer, basically. Perhaps an external plugin would allow creation of instruments?
Old 05-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #36
mrbumpy409

Yes, you would have to learn how to create SFZ intruments, but it's not hard. Check out the tutorials at https://sfzformat.com/
Old 05-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #37
mrbumpy409

Basic workflow goes like this:
1. Create .sfz file and edit in text editor of choice.
2. Drag .sfz file into sfizz--except drag & drop to Linux VST/LV2 is broken in REAPER, so instead click on "No file" in the GUI and either browse to your .sfz file, or drag and drop it onto the file picker window.
3. As you edit your .sfz file, whenever you save the file, it will refresh in sfizz so you can hear your latest changes.

The syntax is easy to learn. Here's an example of a small instrument with amplitude envelope set to a 3 second release:

Code:
<group>
ampeg_release=3

<region> sample=Flute_C4.wav  key=C4
<region> sample=Flute_D4.wav  lokey=C#4  hikey=D#4  pitch_keycenter=D4
<region> sample=Flute_F4.wav  lokey=E4   hikey=F#4  pitch_keycenter=F4
(and so on)

Last edited by mrbumpy409; 05-06-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:41 AM   #38
krahosk

Thank you mrbumpy! What would be the PROS of using SFZ instead of Reasamplotmatic 5000 for creating my own instruments?
Old 05-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #39
mrbumpy409

Pros off the top of my head would be:

1. Your instruments would be easily sharable with others as sfizz and sforzando run in almost any DAW and are cross-platform.
2. Access to advanced features such as round-robins, filters, envelopes for filter, pitch (any destination really), modulations such as velocity to filter, etc.
3. Easier to create and work with complex instruments involving large numbers of samples. ReaSamplOmatic5000 becomes cumbersome once you start involving a large number of samples.
4. Parameters can apply to groups of samples at once, so tweaking behavior of an entire instrument at once is very easy.

The SFZ format is very powerful and has been used to create some well-known virtual instruments such as the famous Garritan CFX Concert Grand (https://www.garritan.com/products/cf...virtual-piano/). SFZ is only really outclassed in functionality by the top commercial samplers like Kontakt, but SFZ is a free and open format.

There is a great SFZ programmer's community on Discord as well: https://discord.gg/t7nrZ6d

The main pros to using ReaSamplOmatic5000 off the top of my head:

1. It has a GUI for editing. There is something very immediate and approachable about being able to tweak knobs and see the sample & envelope.
2. It is convenient for creating quick drum mappings for a project.

Whichever format(s) you decide to use, have fun! Creating virtual instruments is such a blast!
Old 05-07-2022, 08:09 AM   #40
mrbumpy409

Here are a few sites that have SFZ files to download. These are a good source for some nice virtual instruments, but you can also learn by examining the SFZ files to see how each instrument works.

https://sfzinstruments.github.io/
https://freepats.zenvoid.org/
http://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/

And there's a lot more where these came from if you just Google "sfz instruments".