Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
cricket
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up a new Focusrite Scarlett in Reaper - Help?

Hey all, I just got my Scarlett 2i2 and I need some pointers on how to get it to work with Reaper.

I have a dual core 2.5 with 3 gigs of RAM Vista 32

I uninstalled Asio4All so I could more easily use the Scarletts drivers without any interference. But Im running into pops and glitches and just am having a terrible time with it.

Anyone here set up a Focusrite interface with Reaper? Could someone please give me some tips on what I should be looking for?

In my audio device, I didnt select ASIO, but found the WASABI choice to be better with less latency - best I can seem to get is 3ms. Im new to this part as Ive long just recorded dry and now Id actually like to monitor sound choices before I record...like normal people do O.o

So ANY tips or help will be of great assistance here, y'all.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Hey all, I just got my Scarlett 2i2 and I need some pointers on how to get it to work with Reaper.

I have a dual core 2.5 with 3 gigs of RAM Vista 32

I uninstalled Asio4All so I could more easily use the Scarletts drivers without any interference. But Im running into pops and glitches and just am having a terrible time with it.

Anyone here set up a Focusrite interface with Reaper? Could someone please give me some tips on what I should be looking for?

In my audio device, I didnt select ASIO, but found the WASABI choice to be better with less latency - best I can seem to get is 3ms. Im new to this part as Ive long just recorded dry and now Id actually like to monitor sound choices before I record...like normal people do O.o

So ANY tips or help will be of great assistance here, y'all.
I'd definitely use the Focusrite drivers.

What is your sample rate?

What buffer are you running it at?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Lopez

Quote:
I had problems with my Komplete6Audio interface, and I tried all possibilities (A4A, NI drivers etc). I recognized, that in ASIO4ALL driver panel "Use hardware buffer" was UNCHECKED. So I turned it ON and all pops and glitches were gone, even with low latency settings.

You may check that =)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
I had problems with my Komplete6Audio interface, and I tried all possibilities (A4A, NI drivers etc). I recognized, that in ASIO4ALL driver panel "Use hardware buffer" was UNCHECKED. So I turned it ON and all pops and glitches were gone, even with low latency settings.

You may check that =)
Why would i keep Asio4All in my computer if I have an interface now with its own driver?

Shouldnt I uninstall Asio4All?

And then what - pick ASIO on the device page? How low should I expect my latency to get?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
I'd definitely use the Focusrite drivers.

What is your sample rate?

What buffer are you running it at?
Yes...im tryin to use the Focusrite drivers, thats why I got rid of ASIO4ALL.

I seem to be able to get down to 3ms latency with juuuust a few pops. 3ms latency for me equals a buffer of 150 samples.

What should I be looking to do here? O.o

Direct monitoring on or off? O.o

And to clarify = definitely select the ASIO selection of the device page, or does it not matter if I can get the same latency or better in that WASAPI setting??
Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
copacetic

Quote:
Yes...im tryin to use the Focusrite drivers, thats why I got rid of ASIO4ALL.

I seem to be able to get down to 3ms latency with juuuust a few pops. 3ms latency for me equals a buffer of 150 samples.

What should I be looking to do here? O.o

Direct monitoring on or off? O.o

And to clarify = definitely select the ASIO selection of the device page, or does it not matter if I can get the same latency or better in that WASAPI setting??
3 ms is low, how much lower are you wanting to go? I've not noticed any issues with my latency far higher than that.

I'm running a Focusrite Pro 24, on an i7, and my latency is just about the same.

In the control software, check 'Daw tracking' as your routing preset, and see if the latency is an issue, if not, there you go.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
3 ms is low, how much lower are you wanting to go? I've not noticed any issues with my latency far higher than that.

I'm running a Focusrite Pro 24, on an i7, and my latency is just about the same.

In the control software, check 'Daw tracking' as your routing preset, and see if the latency is an issue, if not, there you go.
Control Software? That mean the disc? Theres not a program interface for the Interface, if thats what ya mean.

Theres some issue somewhere - Im just really new to having an interface. Had one before and couldnt tolerate the latency and just started recording dry as the Sahara thru the Line In jack and then fixing the DC Offset caused by the HD Realtek manually. Dont laugh, haha, some of those dry tracks have seen airplay as well as awards, haha. Its just a bass-ackwards way of doing things and for vocals, I need to try for a better Pre-amo than the one Ive been using.

What I need solid advice on, is what setting on the Audio Device page I need to select - ASIO, WASAPI - does it matter if I can set the latency on any one of those settings like the WASAPI one?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
copacetic

Quote:
Control Software? That mean the disc? Theres not a program interface for the Interface, if thats what ya mean.

Theres some issue somewhere - Im just really new to having an interface. Had one before and couldnt tolerate the latency and just started recording dry as the Sahara thru the Line In jack and then fixing the DC Offset caused by the HD Realtek manually. Dont laugh, haha, some of those dry tracks have seen airplay as well as awards, haha. Its just a bass-ackwards way of doing things and for vocals, I need to try for a better Pre-amo than the one Ive been using.

What I need solid advice on, is what setting on the Audio Device page I need to select - ASIO, WASAPI - does it matter if I can set the latency on any one of those settings like the WASAPI one?
Aah shit, just typed out a long response and lost it because the forum is down FFS.

Long story short: Disregard my previous comments, install the latest driver:

http://www.focusrite.com/downloads/scarlett_2i2/

Refer to the manual on how to do this properly.

In Reaper, I suggest you use ASIO, so select this, and then the Scarlett card in the Audio Devices setup.

Once this is done, you can figure out the latency issue.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
cricket

You got it man ~ I just saw myself that theres a newer version on there website.

I installed it and just restarted so we;ll see what I can get Thanks for the help so far....
Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
ivansc

This has to be essentially the same as my saffire6 USB.

I am running it on a dual core 1.6 with 2gb.

Buffers are set at 64 for recording which gives decent latency.
I also tried WASAPI and it was so close to the same it made no difference.

First of all make sure your wireless, etc., and any anciliary programmes like
antivirus and similar are turned off.

As a double check to see if you still have any spikes in ram or cpu usage, download and run dpclat.exe whilst reaper is running & see what you get.

As a matter of habit I always mix with the buffer set way up - usually 1024 - since it makes no difference once you have everything recorded and are just fooling with VSTs.

Oh and where are you getting your 3ms latency figure from? if you are set at 150 I would have expected Reaper to report a lot more than that for the round trip. Suspect your 3 ms is one-way, but even so if it is 6 or 7 you shoul d still be able to record comfortably.

And one last silly point: I really HOPE you are not trying to record at 24.96?

I never saw the point in offering 96, which is why I bought the saffire6 USB.

Record with the interface set at 24/48 or 24/44.1 and you will hardly tell the difference, other than a massive drop in cpu usage.

Good luck.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
cricket

Thanks Ivan!

Dpclat says im all good.

No wireless on this desktop. How are you setting the buffer to 1024?

The slider I get that says Focusrite Driver 2.0 has a slider that is in milliseconds. And thats when I click on "ASIO Configuration".

I was correct to uninstall Asio4All right? I havent done enough with the new driver to be able to tell for sure, but I think theres an improvement.

The only buffer slider im seeing though is when I click ASIO Configuration :/

Im also a little confused about Direct Monitoring and exactly which setting has the least latency. Feeling like such a noob all over again!

Last edited by cricket; 03-27-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
copacetic

Quote:
Thanks Ivan!

Dpclat says im all good.

No wireless on this desktop. How are you setting the buffer to 1024?

The slider I get that says Focusrite Driver 2.0 has a slider that is in milliseconds. And thats when I click on "ASIO Configuration".

I was correct to uninstall Asio4All right? I havent done enough with the new driver to be able to tell for sure, but I think theres an improvement.

The only buffer slider im seeing though is when I click ASIO Configuration :/

Im also a little confused about Direct Monitoring and exactly which setting has the least latency. Feeling like such a noob all over again!
I presume when you click Asio config, it sends you to the Scarlett control interface, which could quite possibly just be a slider indeed.

If you look at the Audio settings in the top right of Reaper, you should see two latency values, your input and output latency obviously give you your combined latency.

Direct monitoring is, I presume, when your inputs are sent directly to your outputs of your soundcard, which is utterly pointless in my opinion, as you obviously don't hear any effects you have enabled, while you are recording.

So you hear whatever input you are injecting into the card instantly, but in my experience, if you get your total latency to under 10 ms, I certainly cannot tell the difference, as it's the same as sitting a few metres away from a speaker, practically, as far as I understand.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
cricket

Well, I just recorded this:

http://www.filedropper.com/cornellmix2

Strictly Reggae Music - all guitars tracked in Reaper from the time I was postin' earlier. If you saw me freakin' out last night about my keyboard sending MIDI messages, those are the Organ Tracks (VB3 vsti) that I was dealin' with. Guitars have Amplitube 3 on them.

My friend sent me the drum track 2 days ago. The mix is a quick 15 minute job. Bass, one of the organs, piano are all from Reason 6.

One mix from Reason was sent to Reaper with all things mildly mixed for sake of tempo and arrangement. 5 Guitar tracks and two organ tracks were then done in Reaper, then all tracks spat BACK in Reason 6, quick 15 minute mix, with a real fast automation and subsequent DubShot near the beginning, one render later, and here I am.

Mighta got most of this interface solved - we'll see - new vocals tracks soon, haha :P _ hope ya like it, its a re-do of a classic.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
richie43

By the way, use the hardware monitoring if you don't need to hear the plugins while tracking. Then you can bump up the buffer. If you need to hear the plugin, like an amp-sim, then don't use the hardware monitoring. I track at about 6ms latency, and also do tight reggae music, and never have a problem. Unfortunately, with a dual core Vista DAW, you may run into issues at that low of latency if you are not rendering/freezing tracks as you go. I finally moved up to a modest quad core and my productivity jumped in a HUGE way, for not much money either. Irie.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
richie43

And speaking of reggae remakes of classics.....
http://db.tt/WRQcfNgG

For you deeply spiritual folks. Upfull. Very quick mix, a bit raw. All me though.

Nice vibe in your tune.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
ivansc

Unfortunately your USB2.0 drier ill not work with my USB1.1 Saffire6, so I cant see what your exact ASIO config buttons etc look like.

On mine I can adjust either by moving the slider or by clicking in the numeric window and typing in a value there.

no time to check out your file as I am rehearsing three bands for an upcoming gig saturday & then straight back to france till April 10th
busy busy busy
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Unfortunately your USB2.0 drier ill not work with my USB1.1 Saffire6, so I cant see what your exact ASIO config buttons etc look like.

On mine I can adjust either by moving the slider or by clicking in the numeric window and typing in a value there.

no time to check out your file as I am rehearsing three bands for an upcoming gig saturday & then straight back to france till April 10th
busy busy busy
Not a big Reggae fan, Ivan? Hahaha.

Check it out when you get time.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #18
Third Son

Quote:
Well, I just recorded this:

http://www.filedropper.com/cornellmix2

Strictly Reggae Music - all guitars tracked in Reaper from the time I was postin' earlier. If you saw me freakin' out last night about my keyboard sending MIDI messages, those are the Organ Tracks (VB3 vsti) that I was dealin' with. Guitars have Amplitube 3 on them.

My friend sent me the drum track 2 days ago. The mix is a quick 15 minute job. Bass, one of the organs, piano are all from Reason 6.

One mix from Reason was sent to Reaper with all things mildly mixed for sake of tempo and arrangement. 5 Guitar tracks and two organ tracks were then done in Reaper, then all tracks spat BACK in Reason 6, quick 15 minute mix, with a real fast automation and subsequent DubShot near the beginning, one render later, and here I am.

Mighta got most of this interface solved - we'll see - new vocals tracks soon, haha :P _ hope ya like it, its a re-do of a classic.
Sorry I missed this thread. I have the 2i2 as well...it took me a while to figure out the correct config for my system but it is a nice interface. Glad you figured out your problem..
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
HavocS

Default 2i2 and POD xt with ASIO4ALL

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a scarlett 2i2 but I really need to use my POD xt's USB interface too for live reamping. So I guess the only solution is ASIO4ALL and I need confirmation of it working with the 2i2. Anyone use the same (or kinda the same) setup? So 2i2 and another USB ASIO interface.
Thanks.
HavocS is offline   Reply With Quote