Old 06-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Learn OSC

Is it possible to "learn" any arbitrary text sent by some OSC device to an action ?

How needs the parameter that can be attributed to an action (e.g. by learning it from a Midi CC) be coded in the OSC message ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Is it possible to "learn" any arbitrary text sent by some OSC device to an action ?

How needs the parameter that can be attributed to an action (e.g. by learning it from a Midi CC) be coded in the OSC message ?
l
Hi Michael, if I understand you correctly then yes. I just mapped a key on an external OSC device, sending a value and mapped it to my transport play command in the actions window.

OSC Address was /playtest
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
mschnell

OK, I see. (Can't test this is I right now don't have a software OSC device that I can "map a key" in.)

So you don't need to somehow register that key (e.g. "/playtest" (is this an "OSC Address" ? ) ) with Reaper itself before it can be used to be "learned".

But what about the second part of the question regarding having the OSC device transfer a parameter value to be attributed to that action (e.g. an action that is to set a track volume slider to a certain position) ?

Thanks again,

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-10-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #4
pljones

1. Open Reaper
2. Options -> Preferences
3. Control/OSC/Web
4. Add, OSC (Open Sound Control)
5. Pattern config: (open config directory)
6. Open Default.ReaperOSC in the editor / file viewer of your choice
7. Read it and see if anything makes sense

You'll see stuff like
Code:
MASTER_SEND_PAN n/master/send/@/pan s/master/send/@/pan/str
Which says:
If you see a string like "/master/send/<some number>/pan <some value>" then set the pan position of send <some number> on the master track to <some value>.

It could just as easily say
Code:
MASTER_SEND_PAN n/bob/is/@/youruncle s/and/your/@/aunts/sister
for all the difference it makes.

The "n" at the beginning of the "n/master/..." is what says the "../@/.." means <some number>. The "s/" says the "@" is a string. It's all basically documented at the top of the file with vague examples.

If you want to bind OSC to scripts, you can... but there's no fancy parsing (the n/ and @ bits) -- you have to exactly match the incoming string and any parameters are lost.

Also, TouchOSC is great for setting up a software OSC device - on tablets and phones. I'm not aware of a "loopback" software OSC client - I'd be interested if you find one!
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
If you want to bind OSC to scripts, you can... but there's no fancy parsing (the n/ and @ bits) -- you have to exactly match the incoming string and any parameters are lost
In fact, using a script is an option, but in fact the goal is to select a "line" in LiveConfigs (which is (part of) a Reaper extension, and which provides the appropriate action (that takes the parameter).

Hence loosing the parameter sent via OSC is not a viable option.

IMHO it's hard to believe, that "Learn" does work with Midi (CCs) including transferring ta parameter to a script (via the action_context) and to a Reaper extension (supposedly working similar), but it shouldnot be possible vie OSC.

-Michael
Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
mschnell

Using OSCIIBot to create OSC messages, I was able to fire actions. But I was not able to transfer the "Parameter" value to an action denoted "... (MIDI/OSC only)"

Regarding to a documentation I found, this should work by learning an OSC message to the action and then sending that message enhanced by the string /f/123 to transfer the numerical parameter 123.

-Michael
Old 06-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
6. Open Default.ReaperOSC in the editor / file viewer of your choice
7. Read it and see if anything makes sense
I did not dare to do this.

Do you suggest that some arbitrary action (generated by a Reaper extension or a script) should be able to be fired with a parameter value when appropriately adding this to the file ?

Thanks,
-Michael
Old 06-15-2020, 01:58 AM   #8
pljones

No, that's not quite what I said.

Default.ReaperOSC lists every action you can trigger in Reaper. There are no other actions that you can trigger in Reaper using OSC that are not listed in this file. If you want to trigger an action in Reaper, that action is listed in the file. (If you want to run a script, this file is not where you set that up.)

Also listed in the file is an example of an OSC string that you could send to Reaper to trigger the action with appropriate parameters.

What you can do is change the OSC string - presumably to match that which you're sending.

BUT take a copy of the file - you can pick in Reaper which file you use. In the file you use, only list the actions you want to use.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
aletheia

Default OSC FX::Item

Is it possible to control the parameters of plug-ins (FX :: Item) of objects like for tracks by OSC? How to get the OSC address of these parameters?oscdump <port> returns nothing when using the sliders.
aletheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
mschnell

Very obvisly the CSI Reaper Extension can do this. But I failed when trying without installing an extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aletheia View Post
oscdump <port> returns nothing when using the sliders.
What is "oscdump" ?

-Michael
Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 AM   #11
aletheia

Default oscdump

( LINUX : ) oscdump is a utility provided with Liblo (osc) to read feedback from an application that uses osc (Ardor, Reaper ...)
http://liblo.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by aletheia; 06-29-2020 at 01:23 AM.
aletheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:29 AM   #12
airon

Yeah it's a real bummer.

You can do these things
  • OSC Control Surface
    This gives you control over everything Reaper "offers" via its osc config. Those supported actions also generate feedback.

You can still trigger actions that the OSC config does not support, but you cannot pass values or get feedback for the OSC control surface to then indicate.

This is what I got for muting sends. I trigger the send mute toggle via "/action/41357" (toggle mute on send 1) on one of my Lemur buttons on an iPad.

• CSI extension

This is what Reaper should include with some well designed GUI to set things up.

Here you set up one basic config to describe what messages you get from the OSC control surface , for example "/track/send/1/volume", you define a feedback processor for it, and you give it a name. This name is then used in the Zone files to control stuff in Reaper itself, such as the send volume.

The advantage is you can change the zones dynamically. A set of faders might on your tablet could control send volumes, but then you change the zone by triggering a "GoZone" command and those resources now control something else. Maybe your trigger for that "GoZone" command is a toggle that changes back to the home zone. You can set that up.

More importantly you can have feedback of your choice on everything.

The GUI for setting things up just doesn't exist yet. It's all handcrafted text files for configuring this stuff.

That second option is what I'm trying to accomplish for setting up send control and ReaSurround control. Before I was using method 1.

You can't use both at the same time AFAIK.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
  • CSI extension

This is what Reaper should include with some well designed GUI to set things up.
Do yo mean "should include in the distribution ?

(The Reaper distribution already does include a lot dlls (i.e. "extensions") This would be another one but technically there is no difference from installing the extension separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
  • The GUI for setting things up just doesn't exist yet. It's all handcrafted text files for configuring this stuff.
The text format is perfect for distributing configurations for hardware and workflow variants. Supposedly on ly a small part of the potential users will prefer to do their own configuration rather than to adapt to an existing one. .

-Michael