Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Sonorityscape
Human being with feelings

Default Child Track Post-Fader Sends Controlled by Parent Folder Track Volume Level

For people who like to work with folders, having the option to control the post fader sends of child tracks from the parent volume level would be quite helpful.

When you have aux receives that are outside of a folder, but being sent to from children inside of a folder, you don't have control of the send levels using the parent folder volume level. To have greater control over aux sends, you need to have them as children of the parent folder. Unfortunately, this then results in having to have duplicate aux tracks if you want to apply the same effects to the children of your multiple parent folders. With a feature like this, you would be able to cut down on the number of aux tracks as you can now use them globally for the whole project. This would help with organization and be a great time saver.
Sonorityscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
andyp24

There is a work around for this (which some people have called Stealth Sends) using extra channels on the folder track to route the sends through, but it's not intuitive to set up, and gets messy if you have lots of sends.

So, +1 from me for this FR.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
JohnnyMusic

+1 I am mixing with a folder system for different groups of instruments, so this would be awesome. Please add this to V6.
My work around is clunky. If I want effects only on the tracks within the folder, I put the effect in the same parent folder and send to it post fader, but for more global effects returns that I want to send tracks from different parent folders to, I send the child tracks to a track outside the parent folder, then send that to the global effect. I group the parent folder fader to the track that I sent the child tracks to outside the parent fader, so that when I move the parent folder fader, the send fader for the child tracks is adjusted the same amount. I find it less confusing then the stealth sends thing because I have more visual info to remind me of how everything is routed. I'm not even sure if it works as it should, ie, maintains the same ratio of wet to dry, but it seems to work, but what a hassle to set up!

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 06-13-2019 at 02:37 PM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
mschnell

Maybe a "Volume and Pan" pseudo-Plugin, allowing the Track's Fader to be located anywhere in the Track's FX chain and making it pin-routable, might help here, too.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
xinky

Is there any solution now (or workaround)?
it's really messy when I just want to make little tweaks to the groups of instrments (folders), but I can't because this would not affect sends, which I have outside the folders.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinky View Post
Is there any solution now (or workaround)?
it's really messy when I just want to make little tweaks to the groups of instrments (folders), but I can't because this would not affect sends, which I have outside the folders.
You could assign the tracks inside the folder to a VCA and adjust that instead (though if you have any threshold based FX on the folder track they'd need re-adjustment, so this FR isn't obsolete).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote