Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
ghall
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI track volume and pan controls

First, please forgive this newbie if I misuse any terminology.

It appears to me that the volume and pan controls on a midi track in reaper have no effect whatsoever. I confirmed that by routing an individual midi track to a midi monitor and varying the volume and pan controls when stopped and during playback. Nothing was inserted by reaper into the midi stream.

In contrast, when I try the exact same test in Cakewalk (by Bandlab), varying the volume and pan controls on a midi track will insert (inject) CC-7 and CC-10 midi messages respectively real-time into the midi stream.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? In my simplistic view, if reaper is presenting these controls on a midi track, I would expect that there would be some programming logic behind them to insert appropriate volume or pan position CC messages into the midi stream.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
nicholas

The track volume/pan controls you refer to are for audio only. This is essentially because, unlike Cakewalk, REAPER doesn't have separate MIDI and audio tracks in its track layouts. It just has "tracks" - thus, for example, you can have MIDI and audio items on the same track if you wish.

The solution is to insert the plug-in ReaControlMIDI at the start of the track's FX chain (or, if you prefer, in the individual item FX chain). This allows you to control MIDI, volume and much more.

You can then also add automation envelopes to control the different parameters.

This is somewhat out of date but you might find it helpful:
http://reaper.fm/guides/SONARtoREAPER_2017b.pdf

See also User Guide sections 13.39 and 13.40 for more detailed information and tips.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
ghall

Thanks Nicholas. I see that now -- in Reaper, a track is a track is a track. The track's volume and pan controls only apply to an audio item in the track; never to a midi item. Got it.

I've been playing with ReaControlMIDI. Nice plugin. My interest is in a simple way to pan individual midi channels. This will do it, but seemingly with some caveats. Pan position messages (CC-10) are not sent during playback. They are sent when the slider control in the FX is changed. And they are sent when the project is manually loaded (but for some reason not if the project is auto-loaded during reaper startup).

The other option I have which may be the simplest and most reliable is to simply insert CC-10 messages into the top of each midi track and be done with it. Then correct panning will be effected during playback.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
nicholas

Another option could be to add a CC10 lane in the MIDI Editor and use that ....
Old 01-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
ghall

Well, I have some learning to do. I was referring to just adding a CC midi event in the event list view. But the CC lanes look powerful. Will need to spend some time with that.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
nicholas

They are very powerful. They work in a similar way to automation envelopes. Set default point shape in prefs, but you can change this for individual points

Lots more from 13.7 to 13.10 in User Guide. Nice bedtime reading for you!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

Have you tried the option to link track volume/pan to midi? Does that not do what you want?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Have you tried the option to link track volume/pan to midi? Does that not do what you want?
Excellent suggestion, only issue is in this case I'm not sure whether even with an envelope that will record the CC changes in the Event List, which I think the OP wants.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

Oh I couldn't get it to do anything at all myself. Tried. The number at the top of the fader changes from db gain to CC value between 0 and 127, but I could not get it to actually affect anything on its own track or a receiving track. It might be sending CC7 somewhere, but not anywhere we can find it or use it from what I can tell.

Edit - I feel like I should apologize to the OP here. I knew the "feature" existed, but I actually haven't ever tried it myself, and this is newbieland after all. I have always tried to avoid using CC7 for volume control even back in hardware days. I'd much rather just have the audio outputs as loud as the synth can get and deal with mix volume at the mixer like anything else. It's just proper gain staging, really. Nothing that concerns us in DAW, of course, but I still just either use multiple outputs from the synth or multiple instances if it comes to it.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 01-15-2020 at 10:40 PM.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote