Old 01-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
cremationritual
Human being with feelings

Default OH NO! WHAT NOW?

6.0 has been running ok for me. I have not had any crashes. But right now Im mixing a 54 track session with over 100 plugins opened (I have waves NLS plugin on each channel for gain staging). I have a very fast computer. Its a Ryzen 2700x. Im only using 20% CPU when mixing with all plugins on.
Converters are 48k and my buffer is at 1024.
The issue I'm having is whenever I hit play or stop it takes a second for it to happen. Or if I try to relocate my playhead somewhere else on the playlist it doesn't happen right away. There is a second delay.

But the MAIN problem that's coming along with these other two things is when I hit stop it stutters and makes this "crunching" sound. Kinda like static.

When I shut off my 8 instances of nectar it stops. I'm assuming its CPU but like I said I'm only at 20%. I have 16 gigs of RAM. Would more RAM help?

Last edited by cremationritual; 01-22-2020 at 02:12 AM.
cremationritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
ivansc

Pragmatically, I would stop worrying about it & finish the project by rendering or freezing enough tracks that it all stop coughing.

Agreed it doesnt find & fix the problem, but you at least get to quit pulling your hair out whilst trying to be creative.

Good luck & IF you find what`s doing it, let us know.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Doc Brown

Hi.

Is your network card disabled? Do you have the latest video card driver? I would download latency monitor and run a scan as well to see if you can pinpoint it.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
pandabot

It sounds like a memory issue, but maybe your computer is overheating
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
rncwalker

The first thing you should do is to load another project in reaper and see if you are getting the same problem. If not, then it's something in the the project that you are working on.
Do a process of elimination until you find the problem.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
poetnprophet

It's likely not your CPU usage causing the issue, it's probably your total PDC. Nectar was a big give away....8, that's definitely too many of those.

Certain plugins will both cause the delay you're hearing and the zipper noise doing those actions. Disabling or freezing the plugins with high PDC will definitely help...or try using alternative plugins that generate less pdc.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
Joe90

Yup - PDC. Check your highest PDC chain in the performance meter. You're entire project is delayed by this amount whenever you hit play.

This is inevitable, and would be the same in any DAW if you are using high latency plugins.

What WOULDN'T be the same is the fact the Reaper adds a FULL buffer of PDC per latent plugin, even if the plugin itself is only adding a tiny amount like 16 samples of latency.

If you have the the CPU juice to reduce the buffer size to 256 (maybe up the APFX buffer) then I bet you'd see a significant improvement.

The per plugin PDC issue is on my top three list of things I wish would be improved in Reaper. Drives me mad when I'm getting late into a mix. I end up having to search around to find the longest PDC chain and start freezing/bouncing things to reduce that one chain, just so I can have a snappy response. I shouldn't be needing to do this when my CPU and RAM are not being stressed at all.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
Coachz

Until you get your system tweaked better freeze every track you can.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
Faderjockey

I have my PC tweaked and I still get that same issue..
It's just lot of plugs it seems.. Tracking and working with little plugs doesn't happen. But big mix projects it happens.
But my Network card is on.. needs to be for some plugs and I have to have clients in on the sessions sometimes.

But I finished an album back in July that was decent track counts and 32bit/96K and between native plugs and UAD plus going out thru hardware and summing I would get delays on start and stop and same thing if I tried to skip around the session.. It would crackle and recalculate it would seem then play..
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I have my PC tweaked and I still get that same issue..
It's just lot of plugs it seems.. Tracking and working with little plugs doesn't happen. But big mix projects it happens.
But my Network card is on.. needs to be for some plugs and I have to have clients in on the sessions sometimes.

But I finished an album back in July that was decent track counts and 32bit/96K and between native plugs and UAD plus going out thru hardware and summing I would get delays on start and stop and same thing if I tried to skip around the session.. It would crackle and recalculate it would seem then play..
This is where freeze can help.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
Faderjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
This is where freeze can help.
LOL.. Trust me been using that since Reaper came out.. That session with a ton of plugs had a lot frozen. I never run at 96k but that project I did it as a test and because I tracked drums in another studio on their API and Pro Tools rig that was set for 96k so I just went with it..
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
airon

Check your energy settings in Windows. They can mess stuff up too.

Check all sensors to make sure cooling is working fine. Something is messing up performance. Has the CPU use changed in the perfomance meter ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
ivansc

cremationritual appears to have left the building, temporarily. Hope he got it all sorted out.